Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We keep talking about things looking suburban. Are we confusing that with the word "new". Are there designs that don't look out of place when standing next to blight?

Most of Detroit looks exactly the same, since it was built at the exact same time. Just seems like we've demonized the word suburban to the point where anything that looks good in Troy must be bad for Detroit.

Actually, I have no issues with what it looks like. In fact, I think it looks urban. The development is lowrise townhouse residential units, which don't belong in this area. It's three blocks away from a 34 story building!! I thought zoning ordinances would have prohibited such a project, but of course, Detroit is desperate.

Edited by wolverine

Actually, I have no issues with what it looks like.  In fact, I think it looks urban.  The development is lowrise townhouse residential units, which don't belong in this area.  It's three blocks away from a 34 story building!!  I thought zoning ordinances would have prohibited such a project, but of course, Detroit is desperate.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The 1880 mansions were also blocks away from a 34 story building.

I have no problem with townhouses being there and think this is really the way to go. Owners get a garage (you'll understand the importance when you're older), but it's in the back making for a nice front and their height is perfect at 3-4 stories. I just don't like the design. Look at the lofts Crosswinds are doing in New Center, or any of the newer development in New Center for that matter. Yeah, the maybe a little plain in design, that can be improved on, but this is more of what I would have expected for style. Another thing, is that there is really a separation going on along Woodward, move it closer to street level. I know it might be a bummer for someone living in those, but look at where you're living. They should take a pointer from the styling of the Brownstones on John R. Simply beautiful all around. Then again, I don't know squat about ubran planning or architecture! (really, I don't)

I've toured all three of the designs and they are really nice on the inside. Crosswinds took a gamble and it is really paying off for them. I think what they are doing is great, especially their renovations, but this one falls a little short in my book. They are planning on building another building on the site of their trailer when the complex is completed that will be more of the box type tower which is what I would expect. There is an apartment building in the middle of all the property that they don't own and I think the new will compare to it. You might think it looks out of place, but not really, in fact I think it helps.

Edited by ebaldy

I thought zoning ordinances would have prohibited such a project, but of course, Detroit is desperate.

Of course I am not too familiar with the area, but it seems to me to be just another example of planning taking the backseat to development. I don't understand why one single developer was allowed to monopolize a huge amount of prime space with cookie-cutter designs - the aurora of Brush Park is far classier than what they've put up.

The only advantage I see is that it will temporarily bring some residents back to the city center.

The 1880 mansions were also blocks away from a 34 story building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know, but on Woodward? It just seems like these new homes should have been set back aways from the road to allow for larger commerical and residential buildings to be built along this stretch.

It is poor planning but the project has to be put in the context of the time it was built. Remember this project which was supposed to start in 1997 was pretty revolutionary at the time, this was the first of the major residental projects downtown. So not surprisingly conisdering the "risk" they weren't very innovative. Compare that the The Ellington the first truly urban new contruction which I think is setting the trend towards more urban design. Even Crosswinds getting the right idea now check out the design for the Garden Lofts in Hamilton Anderson's projects section

http://www.hamilton-anderson.com

Edited by detroitfan

Just because there are lights on, that doesn't mean that the building is open. See the David Whitney Building & the American Hotel for examples. I have not seen this shop open in almost a month now, unless I am just downtown at the wrong times.

Just because there are lights on, that doesn't mean that the building is open.  See the David Whitney Building & the American Hotel for examples.  I have not seen this shop open in almost a month now, unless I am just downtown at the wrong times.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, Allan, it's not your timing. This store has NOT been open since I've have been down here, and that is over a year and a half! I have a splendid view of that store from my window here. The "Going Out of Business" sign needs to go....

Just because there are lights on, that doesn't mean that the building is open.  See the David Whitney Building & the American Hotel for examples.  I have not seen this shop open in almost a month now, unless I am just downtown at the wrong times.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This store is open. I saw people coming out today.