Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monday, May 2, 2005

The David Whitney Mansion on Woodward was designed by Gordon W. Lloyd and was constructed between 1890 and 1894. David Whitney was a lumber baron, and was the wealthiest man in Detroit upon his death in 1900, with a fortune estimated to be $15,000,000. The family lived there 17 years. The house was originally 21,000 square feet, and had 52 rooms, 10 bathrooms, 218 windows, 20 fireplaces, a secret vault, and hydraulic elevator. The house originally cost $400,000. The house served different purposes until 1986, when it was converted into The Whitney, a restaurant.

IMG_0413.jpg

I don't know X 2

I guess, I'll help out a again haha.

Here is Price Waterhouse Coopers over by Ford Field taken April 25th. So I would assume all the windows are on by now. A bit suburban in design, but for it's location that is acceptable. Heck, at least its brick!

pwc.jpg

Edited by wolverine

The Lafer Building is on the left, and the Cary Building is on the right. The names of the two middle buildings slip my mind at the time. The Cary Building is currently being converted into lofts, and the Lafer Building is supposed to be converted into lofts, but I don't know what the status of the project is.

I park in that parking lot quite a bit. It is owned by the city of Detroit, and has been a parking lot for years - even back in the late 1940s.

Actually it is the Globe Building, which was constructed in 1891 in the Romanesque style. It was originally used as a tobacco curing house. Restoration work began in 1984, and the building now houses law and design offices.

Allan, is the International Building next door?  I'm getting the buildings in the district all mixed up.  lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The International Building is to the north, and is probably best known for being the home of Fishbone's Restaurant. The building was remodeled in the 1980s, and is now home to the world's tallest indoor waterfall. The International Building is the former Ferry Seed Company warehouse, which was constructed in 1887 and designed by Gordon W. Lloyd. The original Ferry Seed warehouse had burned in 1886, so when rebuilding they used oversized beams that would not burn so quickly, and things like iron shutters on alley windows to prevent fires. Ferry Seed was the first company to sell seeds in individual packets.

I don't want to turn this into a request thread, so I will give you guys some suggestions of what would make good photo subjects. :)

1. Henry Ford Hosptial Complex (New Center)

2. A full view of City/County Building showing both structures

3. A good overview of Harbortown

4. Palmer Park