Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! I just read this whole thread through (all 41 pages) and i have to say those pix rock. If i can ever help people out here with hosing some pictures for some detroit threads, let me know i'd be happy to help :)

Welcome to the forums johnny! Glad to see your contributing already to the photo of the day.

Nice picture. I can remember if I have seen a shot of the Ren Cen from that area before. I can't wait until that area of the riverfront gets redeveloped and has something other than parking lots and parking garages.

Nice pic! I agree baldy, it will be nice to see some business activity going on there. But dang, you have to admit that parking structure to the left is nice! I would say that is the best parking structure I've seen in the entire city. Anyone know what company built that? The people doing the one by the Dime could take a lesson!

Thanks for the welcome. I really enjoy this site. I have a ton of photos to post. All I do is drive around and check out the sights. This is a really cool time to be in Detroit. I really think things are happening around here.

I agree with you about the Ren Cen area. I can't wait until they take advantage of that great location, and really bring it to life. Have you heard anything about the Port Authority Building that's supposed to be going in on Bates St.? I know they broke ground a while ago on it.

Downtown_Detroit_Hoe_Down_05_34.sized.jpg

Sorry about the annoying watermark. My gallery is flaky right now and I can't customize it. Grrrrr

WBG4, next time you make it up to the D, you'll have to take a tour of downtown. It really has one of the best pre-drepression collection of skyscrapers anywhere!

Yes it is. Its out best Art Deco skyscraper downtown.

well, 2nd best! The Guardian Building, by the same architect, Wirt Rowland, is one of best anywhere in world. Next time you're downtown, visit the lobby and you'll know why!

Edited by ebaldy

11_06_04_IMG_3122.jpg

11_05_04_IMG_3139.jpg

It's coincidence that you post these two places.

I just recently moved from the Park Shelton to Cathedral Tower...

In fact, here is the view from my room (I can see my windows in the photo you posted).

mot20.jpg

and the laundary room...

mot19.jpg

Edited by Michi

I walked from New Center to Midtown (Cass Corridor) after work today and was pleasantly overwhelmed by just the general sweetness of the neighborhoods without the smugness and impersonal distance of the suburbs (I work in Birmingham). But then I became depressed considering our current situation and missing Chicago a little too much. This place is far too amazing to have such problems and such a lack of population. But I'm sure everyone agrees with that sentiment.

WS

excellent thread... ruins are fascinating, and detroit seems to have many of them... A site called the fabulous ruins of Detroit got me to start ArtInRuins.com... thanks for the inspiration. Keep documenting the changes, cities change fast.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're in for a treat! I'll be posting the first portion of my extensive photo tour of the inside of Michigan Central Station.

The fabulous ruins of detroit was also my inspiration of learning more about Detroit and documenting it's ruins. I'll have to check your site!

Zissou,

Cathedral Tower is actually pretty nice on the inside. The lobby area has been renovated and is nice, clean, and bright. The top floor (18) is also very nice. It has the laundary facilities, exercise room, a commons space with big-screen TV, and a large study area overlooking the city.

The rooms are so-so. I have a studio and am cramped. The amenities even seem mini to an extent, but for what it's worth, I'm NOT complaining...just looking forward to the day when it's onward and upward.