Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was down on Washington Blvd this evening and it looks to be coming along great! I love the new historic lighting (the tall lamp with the 4 surrounding lamps). It's little details like this (and the greening) that will set this area apart from the rest of downtown!

Allan i think you misunderstood my question.  I wasnt asking if thats where the tower would have gone, I was asking what the current structure is?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Opps. I guess that's what I get for trying to do 100 things at the same time while only getting 4 hours of sleep in the past 48 hours.

I'm not sure what the current structure is used for off the top of my head. I will look when I go downtown for Preservation Wayne on Saturday.

Good picture. It gives you a glimpse of whats to come for Woodward. Im glad to see they have new bus stops. I hope they change them throughout downtown. I really hate those green ones with the yellow stripes on them. Any idea when the trees and other plantings will be in those beds?

Here's the Tractor Car Tune in front of Ford Field. Probably my favorite one is on the corner of Woodward and Jefferson in front of the CAY building, but I haven't taken a photo of it yet.

16232166_81d4687c47.jpg

and another one in the Joe Louis People Mover station. The photo is a little blurry since I didn't have a lot time, but it's fun one. Got to love the spinner rims! :P

16231986_aff5ab31b2.jpg

Edited by ebaldy

I got a chance to go downtown Saturday, and it was nice to see the steel going up there and at the Ellington. I only took a few pics since it was so hazy and humid and I ended up leaving my camera in the car. The crane at the Visteon site looks so huge compared to what's there now. Hopefully, in a few weeks the structure will be much higher. I'm looking forward to it!

Here's one of my crappy pics. I only like it because it shows some of downtown's density:

IMG_1978.jpg

dnast, why would you call that picture crappy? I think it's excellent. Very crisp and clear, and nice lighting on the buildings!

Comerica Tower showing through all those buildings is kind of inspiring though for anyone who wants to capture a really good shot of it.

Edited by wolverine

Yah, any artist will criticize these things pretty harshly. I would have to agree with them, but at the same time am glad they are around than not. Next time around, I would hope Detroit could show that it is unique and creative by displaying something that is uniquely "Detroit".

Yah, any artist will criticize these things pretty harshly.  I would have to agree with them, but at the same time am glad they are around than not.  Next time around, I would hope Detroit could show that it is unique and creative by displaying something that is uniquely "Detroit".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think street art lightens up anybody's day. I mean, walking down the street and seeing a car covered in sequin..Who wouldn't smile?

dnast, why would you call that picture crappy?  I think it's excellent.  Very crisp and clear, and nice lighting on the buildings!

Comerica Tower showing through all those buildings is kind of inspiring though for anyone who wants to capture a really good shot of it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks! I guess it seems crappy because it seemed much better in person than what came out of the pics.

I think street art lightens up anybody's day. I mean, walking down the street and seeing a car covered in sequin..Who wouldn't smile?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That sums it up nicely. I'm no artist but I can tell they wouldn't be highly regarded, in the least. At the same time I was still glad to see them in person. Things like that give a little more flavor to the street scene.

Just an FYI guys...these things are happening all over the place, and personally I think the cars are very Detroit, it is the "motor city". They may be a bit over the top and funky, but that is the great part about them...I'm here in the good ole MN, and we have had Snoopy and Linus, I cant say they are super MN, but they are fun to see all over the place and kids really get a kick out of them, not to mention they raise tons of money at the end when they go up for auction. I want to think Chicago did cows????