Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

Just an FYI guys...these things are happening all over the place, and personally I think the cars are very Detroit, it is the "motor city".  They may be a bit over the top and funky, but that is the great part about them...I'm here in the good ole MN, and we have had Snoopy and Linus, I cant say they are super MN, but they are fun to see all over the place and kids really get a kick out of them, not to mention they raise tons of money at the end when they go up for auction.  I want to think Chicago did cows????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Chicago, Houston, a lot of cities...The CowParade is like huge...go to www.cowparade.com..They're in South Africa right now..

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wednesday, June 8

The Chamber of Commerce Building

16766865_7c5ee52fa3.jpg

Completed in 1895, this is Detroit's oldest standing skyscraper. It was the tallest building in the city when completed, a title which it held for only a year when it was passed by Daniel Burnham's Majestic Building (demo'd for 1001 Woodward). It has changed a lot over it's life and looks a lot different than it did when it was first built. Some of the changes are the windows at the 4th floor level used to be round and were squared off, the cornice was removed, and the obvious glass portion in the middle.

Edited by ebaldy

Just an FYI guys...these things are happening all over the place, and personally I think the cars are very Detroit, it is the "motor city".  They may be a bit over the top and funky, but that is the great part about them...I'm here in the good ole MN, and we have had Snoopy and Linus, I cant say they are super MN, but they are fun to see all over the place and kids really get a kick out of them, not to mention they raise tons of money at the end when they go up for auction.  I want to think Chicago did cows????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

About 4 years ago, Seattle did PIGS! Pigs in the malls, pigs on the streets, pigs in the hotels. It's for charity.

About 4 years ago, Seattle did PIGS!  Pigs in the malls, pigs on the streets, pigs in the hotels.  It's for charity.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A couple years ago Holland, MI did pigs as well. Grand Rapids did fish several years back, and just last year, a bunch of little models of Alexander Calder's "La Grande Vitesse." Every city seems to have their own spin-off.

Thursday, June 9, 2005

16766862_0a9c96442b.jpg

The Chancery Building (left) & St Aloysius Chuch (right) on Washington Blvd.

Although they look like they were built at the same time, the Chancery Building, which I believe is home to the diocese, was built in 1924 and St. Aloysius Church in 1930. Both were designed by Donaldson & Meier and thankfully they kept the same styling creating this unique pair.

Detroit has so many great churchs in the city and this is one of them. I think one of the reasons I like these so much is that they are so unique and it kind of reminds me of a minature European Cathedral.

Edited by ebaldy

A couple years ago Holland, MI did pigs as well.  Grand Rapids did fish several years back, and just last year, a bunch of little models of Alexander Calder's "La Grande Vitesse."  Every city seems to have their own spin-off.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep. Raleigh, NC did wolves a couple years ago. There are still a bunch of them around; when they were sold off after the "public art" phase, a lot of local businesses bought 'em at auction and kept them in prominent locations. Not to mention there are probably still at least 10 on the NC State campus.

Yep.  Raleigh, NC did wolves a couple years ago.  There are still a bunch of them around; when they were sold off after the "public art" phase, a lot of local businesses bought 'em at auction and kept them in prominent locations.  Not to mention there are probably still at least 10 on the NC State campus.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that how they kept those bulls on display in Chicago? They were there when I went to go visit my aunt in Chicago in the seventh grade and they were still there when I went to college... Ech.

LN

Last year when I lived at the Park Shelton, my view faced the Kirby Strip and I was able to see all the sand sculptures from above. It was really cool. I had to leave town this weekend as well, and hope to get the festival next year.

Does anyone know if they had those Australian (I think) bobbing people on the lawn of the DIA? That was my favorite attraction. I could sit there and watch them all day!

Zissou, I don't know how long the sand sculptor were working on that, but I took the picture around 3:00 on Saturday! It's amazing what they can do.

Michi, I didn't see anything that sounds close to your bobbing people discription but then again, we really didn't spend a whole lot time there because we ended up taking the Mansions on Ferry St. tour. That kind of sucks you had to move out of the Park Shelton. I had the opportunity to check out the model and they are doing a great job in adding modern ammentities while still preserving the buildings character. What were the apartments like?

Since no one else seams to be posting pictures and this is now at the bottom of the pinned ground, I'll go ahead and add another.

June 15, 2005

18788097_e5525042b3.jpg

This tranquil little pond is located behind the midtown fire dept on Alexandrine.