Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

When the tenants of the neighboring building demanded a parking garage, the Michigan Theater was gutted and turned into one. The original plan was to tear the theater down, but studies revealed that tearing it down would significantly weaken the structure of the adjoining office building. So the theater was turned into a parking garage, with as little of the theater demolished as possible. Today a portion of the red curtain still hangs above what was once the stage. This photo is of the original lobby. The main auditorium was located on the right.

11_16_04_IMG_4004.jpg

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Image1.jpg

Quite a warm, fuzzy feeling. Almost the essence of America, to me.

Saturday, August 21, 2004. A crowd of 36,000+ saw the Tigers beat the Mariners 11-10 in 12 innings on a Craig Monroe single. Carlos Guillen scored the winning run to go along with a bases-loaded double and triple (6 RBI.)

Edited by Aaron

Nice photo, Aaron. I only got to go to one Tiger's game this past summer. The game was not good (they lost), but at least I got to stare at the skyline for three hours. LOL. Unfortuntately I neglected to bring my camera, but the skyline view wasn't all that great from where I was sitting anyway.

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

When the tenants of the neighboring building demanded a parking garage, the Michigan Theater was gutted and turned into one.  The original plan was to tear the theater down, but studies revealed that tearing it down would significantly weaken the structure of the adjoining office building.  So the theater was turned into a parking garage, with as little of the theater demolished as possible.  Today a portion of the red curtain still hangs above what was once the stage.  This photo is of the original lobby.  The main auditorium was located on the right.

Thats kind or surreal that they have a parking garage in that old theater under such an ornate ceiling...is that really true? Do they really park cars in there? That would be one of the wierdest parking garages I have ever heard of...

Thats kind or surreal that they have a parking garage in that old theater under such an ornate ceiling...is that really true? Do they really park cars in there? That would be one of the wierdest parking garages I have ever heard of...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, they really do park cars there. Go into the Michigan Building (On Bagley Street at Clifford. Ask the security guard in the lobby if you can see the parking garage. He will direct you to it. You will be able to see the lobby and the main auditorium, as well as a few other parts of the theater. On the exterior you can still see light bulbs around the former theater entrance.

be careful goin back behind those buildings, are you carrying a weapon because the gangs of detroit are notorious.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why on earth would I want to/need to carry a weapon? Downtown is one of the safest areas in the city. Just last month an off-duty transit worker murdered a homeless man who tried to attack her late at night - murders downtown are very uncommon. There have only been about five so far this year. The only problems I have are with bums asking me for money or trying to sell me little flags on toothpicks and then asking for a donation.

There are gangs in the city, but as long as you don't bother them, they won't bother you. I've been in plenty of gang-infested areas and have never had a problem. I have photographed some of the most poverty stricken, run down, and notorious neighborhoods in the city. I have a bigger fear if ghetto dogs than anything else...those are viscious creatures!

Why on earth would I want to/need to carry a weapon?  Downtown is one of the safest areas in the city.  Just last month an off-duty transit worker murdered a homeless man who tried to attack her late at night - murders downtown are very uncommon.  There have only been about five so far this year.  The only problems I have are with bums asking me for money or trying to sell me little flags on toothpicks and then asking for a donation. 

There are gangs in the city, but as long as you don't bother them, they won't bother you.  I've been in plenty of gang-infested areas and have never had a problem.  I have photographed some of the most poverty stricken, run down, and notorious neighborhoods in the city.  I have a bigger fear if ghetto dogs than anything else...those are viscious creatures!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah man seriously,

i bet you've never been in downtown yourself

Friday, November 19, 2004

The sun sets in Detroit's midtown. On the left is Hotel Eddystone, which is set to be renovated into 60 condominiums and retail space. Currently vacant and home to prostitutes, homeless people and drug addicts, the hotel was designed by famed Detroit architect Louis Kamper. On the right is the 14 story Harbor Light Center. 11_19_04_IMG_3976.jpg

Allan,

Where is the Hotel Eddystone located?  I don't recognize either building.

- BR

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hotel Eddystone is located on Park Avenue at Sproat Street in midtown, near the Masonic Temple and Cass Park. The Harbor Light Center is located across the street. Both buildings are visible from Woodward if you look over the field on the west side of the street near the new Crosswinds townhouses.

My photo was taken from a parking lot near Cass Park. The victorian houses you see in front of the hotel are on Cass.