Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Allan has been so quick at posting the photo of the day, the rest of us haven't had a chance!  LOL!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL, nobody ever said we couldn't have 100 photos on a given day. The more the better. :)

Here's the top of the Penobscot...still one of my favorites.

2005_09_09.jpg

Yeah, Allan has been so quick at posting the photo of the day, the rest of us haven't had a chance!  LOL!

Here's some pictures I took of the C-mart fountain from Jazzfest last weekend.

40567587_d5c5a4d8eb.jpg

40570811_c783f388f6.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Beautiful...

@Allan: That's agood shot. The Penobscot always remined me of the Empire State Building.

Try neglect and wholesale abandonment of the entire neighborhood...although I'm sure there was a fire or two in there. Gotta love squatters...they are always trying to light fires inside wood-framed buildings to stay warm.

Here are some shots of those two houses from a year ago.

IMG_2337.jpg

IMG_2338.jpg

This house down the block is also being redone.

IMG_2335.jpg

That pretty much just leaves the Ransom Gillis home, the most photographed ruin in the city....

IMG_3051.jpg

And this one, which had its roof cave in completely fairly recently.

IMG_3047.jpg

The mansions of Brush Park are coming down quickly these days. Every few months another one disappears.

I missed the race too. All I know is that it was the first ever, that they were racing man-powered cars, and that Red Bull paid for the participants to attend.

I wandered up to the Dally in the Alley later in the day though...a lot of fun. Didn't take too many photos though.

2005_09_12.jpg

I would have liked to have seen lights shining on the crown, specifically the "KALES" part. I know it's the photo, but it kind of looks like flourescent lighting under the arched windows at the top! Agreed, it's good to see the building lit up, but most importantly, to see the windows lit up.

It could use a few more lights...either illuminating more of the setbacks, or some lights down towards the base. But you've got to admit, it is more well lit than it was historically.

city_lights.jpg

Actually, I can only think of three buildings that had exterior lights historically: the Fisher, the Book, and the Broderick.

The Broderick was the most well-lit building in the world upon its completion in 1928. Here it is around Christmas 1930. The original exterior lighting can still be found on the 30th, 31st, and 33rd floor setbacks, although my guess is that if the electricity up there was turned on they wouldn't work.

broderick_lights.jpg

The Book Tower had lighting on its setbacks, most notably on the 33rd floor and on the roof.

book_lights.jpg

I really love the urban feel this shot gives downtown Detroit and it shows its great architecture. A little bit of new, and a lot of old. Plus, with the construction of 1 Kennedy Sq, and a crane on the left (don't let people know it's a parking garage), it really looks like downtown has it going on.