Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I have the same problem. I keep seeing new windows all over town. In storefronts along the stretch of Davison (near 14th) leading right into the freeway there looks like work in the storefronts (which makes me glad because it's about time this side of town saw something beyond strip malls) and along Woodward approaching Boston-Edison you can see them demolishing this little duplex but they left one half standing. And as if that weren't kind of odd, the apartment house next to it has that circle painted on the door for demolition but there are new windows. This region is truly nuts sometimes, I must be in love, which of course makes me nuts as well.

WS

Maybe it's cuz they're just not broken. ;)

Wordsmith, I go to the Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament in Boston Edison, and you're right, there is a lot of demolition going on up there. Trowbridge at Woodward (north side of the church) was transformed over this one summer ('05).

Edited by Michi

My mother certainly doesn't. Nor do my aunts. I keep trying to ask questions and no one can figure out what I'm talking about because I'm not very good with street names and pretty good with neighborhood titles. At least those that I've toured which are the ones along the Woodward Corridor, Corktown and Oakwood Blvd. Wish I could find U of D Jesuit and make it over to Indian Village one of these days but it's a bit of an effort for me.

WS

Edited by Wordsmith

Hope you keep 'em coming from Delray, Allan. That's one of the more fascinating neighborhoods in the city.
Haha, well I've got one or two more. I need to go out and take more non-urbex photos for this thread, but I've got 4 midterms and two papers due in less than 7 days.

Wolverine, we drove right by that church one time...I guess you weren't paying attention. :P

Tuesday, October 4, 2005

Hotel Yorba (not Delray, but still Southwest Detroit)

2005_10_04.jpg

Wednesday, October 5, 2005

McMillan School

2005_10_05.jpg

You know what would be great is if Hotel Yorba brought its namesake back and opened again. Either the same one (highly unlikely) or a new one elsewhere. Ah, who am I kidding, I was hoping the Hotel Madison Lenox was going to stay or reinstated into the namesakes of Detroit. I still hope it does, but know it's not. h'mph.

Names like those really address the unique local color that we have (had) in Detroit.

Edited by Michi

Oh yeah, one more thing, and this makes no sense at all. Here you have this beautiful fountain and large walk around it and there is not a bench in sight! There is no place to sit and enjoy the fountain. The only place to sit is on the edge of the fountain itself and then you

Michi,

Hotel Yorba is still operational. These days it is more like an apartment building, though it appeared that some truckers who had just come over from Canada were staying the night there.

Ramcharger,

I didn't realize that the fountain doesn't cycle through colors anymore! It did last summer. I used to love just sitting on the steps and watching it change from white to red to blue, etc. Like you said though, at least it is still illuminated.