Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wednesday, February 9, 2006

I took this photo while walking down Jefferson Avenue during the Superbowl weekend on Saturday to Cobo. The weekend and Detroit was amazing! I hope you like my picture! BTW, a quick fun fact for the day, it has been roughly 477 days since this thread was started! LOL! That was fun..... :rofl:

NAIAS06-DetroitSuperbowl2006027.jpg

Edited by rbdetsport

I walk from Wayne State all the time during the fall and early Winter but I've only walked back once. Going toward downtown (I've timed it without allowing myself the distraction of exploring neighborhoods on the way) only takes thirty minutes. Walking back however felt like an eternity (we'll avoid the whole sordid story) but took me about the same time along Woodward, speedwalking. Heading back wasn't nearly as enjoyable as it was going, but then it never is.

WS

Its kind of crazy seeing the fountain going with snow swirling around.

They used to run the Dodge fountain in the winter. As water would spray out of the ring, the mist would freeze in mid air and the light would reflect off the ice crystals. It was gorgeous.

Edited by Ramcharger

I think a few of us have walked that Midtown/WSU - downtown walk over Super Bowl weekend. What a nightmare. My walk was through Eastern Market up Russell.

I stopped to use the bathroom at the McDonald's on Mack at the freeway, and I almost slipped and fell on my @55 because so much water was flowing off of me onto the tile floor. lol :)

Saturday night was one of the most miserable nights of my life, in terms of weather. I dont think my feet or hands thawed until late monday afternoon. Im glad I didnt have to walk the length that you guys did. If I did I would probably still be frozen somewhere in midtown.

That was not a fun walk (aside from some random girl hitting on me.. not a maxim girl unfortunatly), but I did enjoy the reponses i was getting (usually giggling) from people passing by... I didn't realize what they were laughing at until I got to my car and i had seriously an inch of snow accumulated on my tiger hat.

I'm almost glad I went on Friday instead of Saturday.;)

It's ironic that we have such "beautiful" weather for weeks prior to the Superbowl and then when the Big Weekend arrives we get freezing rain, snow, and cold. It's a good thing the reporters wrote their articles in the warmer days before the weekend, otherwise we might have gotten pounded about the weather.

Edited by hudkina

• 2 weeks later...

Detroit makes me soooo MAD! There's so much great stuff in Detroit. The pictures only confirm this fact. Some would say that b/c Detroit is the center of the American automobile industry it was karma that it should suffer more than any other great American city for the automobile. I don't neccessarily disagree with this analysis, but like the great cities of Europe destroyed by World War 2 - the images of Detroit today make me wish I could have seen/experienced this great city 50 years ago.

I deeply hope that Detroit will continue to survive and succeed.

I used to walk that bridge quite often when I worked at the Marathon Refinery a few years ago.

I also used to use the Dix Street bridge a lot (which runs right by the big water tank in the background). Jefferson Ave. has one like that too.

Exodus: I thought you might find this article from today's (2/22/06) Detroit Free Press by Joel Thurtell interesting and probably like me a bit sad: "Fort St. Bridge Construction to Start in Fall "07"

I'm glad you documented the current bridge with this photograph. Thanks.

I'll have to do another photo shoot down there before they take parts of it down. I remember reading the EIS/Alternative Analysis for the new bridge... one option to try and salvage the existing but it unfortunatly cost too much. The new alignment will be slighty different from the existing so I believe the old tower may be able to stay in place.