Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of like it without the silos. It makes the architectural-interesting Chene Park canopy more visible, though that's going soon, too. But then, the riverfront will get a smaller canopy to the left (west) when Rivard Plaza is constructed. A fair trade, I guess, considering what else is to come.

Nice Photo! I can't wait to compare that picture to a picture say 5 years down the road and see how much has changed. @twater Lofts, and the other projects will be a huge boost to the East Riverfront. What is everyones thoughts on the Uniroyal Site..... High-rises to add the the "Gold Coast," or put in some project with building the size of Atwater Lofts? In my opinion I think it would be nice to have some highrises on the Uniroyal Site because it would look awesome with some highrises behind Belle Isle. It would also add a boost to that side of town and maybe add some more highrises.

Nice Photo! I can't wait to compare that picture to a picture say 5 years down the road and see how much has changed. @twater Lofts, and the other projects will be a huge boost to the East Riverfront. What is everyones thoughts on the Uniroyal Site..... High-rises to add the the "Gold Coast," or put in some project with building the size of Atwater Lofts? In my opinion I think it would be nice to have some highrises on the Uniroyal Site because it would look awesome with some highrises behind Belle Isle. It would also add a boost to that side of town and maybe add some more highrises.

yeah, that will be an interesting comparisson. What I would also like to see in 10-15 years is once all the historical buildings have been restored (Lafayette, Book, Broderick, etc) that we will see some new major architectural landmarks to dot the skyline. Detroit is a pretty small city (tallest buidling is only 710feet!, even Cleveland has us beat) and lacks lots of big skyscappers or buisness buildings like Chicago has (for obvious reason). However I hope that will change in a while....Icant wait for our bright future

That's a great shot Zissou! Just imagine what One Kennedy Square would look like if it had been over 30 stories. It would have been a great addition to the skyline. Now you can just barely see it in select views.

(I hope you don't mind me borrowing your image.:))

onekennedy2.jpg

Edited by hudkina

Hudkina good work there. A tall building there would be cool for the skyline but I cant say that Id like to see One Kennedy just extended like that. The color scheme on that building is almost too much at 10 stories, at 30 I just might get nausious looking at it.

Detroit is a pretty small city (tallest buidling is only 710feet!, even Cleveland has us beat) and lacks lots of big skyscappers or buisness buildings like Chicago has (for obvious reason). However I hope that will change in a while....Icant wait for our bright future

Downtown Detroit would be improved by a bunch more tall midrises than any single new record-breaking skyscraper (we don't need another RenCen to concentrate and kill the office market, yet, and functionally it's more important what's happening at street level than in the sky). Key Tower in Cleveland is indeed quite tall and it dwarfs the rest of its downtown. I think a better measure of a skyline's height is the distribution of its tall buildings, e.g. the number of buildings over 100 meters (twice as many in Detroit). While there's not much most of us can do to get any new skyscrapers built, I do hope that new large companies decide to locate downtown and that smaller ones eventually grow into big ones and decide to expand their headquarters in new highrise office buildings rather than suburban campuses.

Downtown Detroit would be improved by a bunch more tall midrises than any single new record-breaking skyscraper (we don't need another RenCen to concentrate and kill the office market, yet, and functionally it's more important what's happening at street level than in the sky). Key Tower in Cleveland is indeed quite tall and it dwarfs the rest of its downtown. I think a better measure of a skyline's height is the distribution of its tall buildings, e.g. the number of buildings over 100 meters (twice as many in Detroit). While there's not much most of us can do to get any new skyscrapers built, I do hope that new large companies decide to locate downtown and that smaller ones eventually grow into big ones and decide to expand their headquarters in new highrise office buildings rather than suburban campuses.

I totally agree. Im just speaking to the longterm future. Call me crazy, but if whats going on now continues at its current rate, I see Detroit being the next major/notable American city after NYC, LA, and Chicago in the next 20-30 years...which would be complimented by new skyscrappers (eventually, and thats a long eventually). Boston and Philly may give us a run for our money

Edited by resourcefulidiot

I totally agree. Im just speaking to the longterm future. Call me crazy, but if whats going on now continues at its current rate, I see Detroit being the next major/notable American city after NYC, LA, and Chicago in the next 20-30 years...which would be complimented by new skyscrappers (eventually, and thats a long eventually). Boston and Philly may give us a run for our money

Thats optimism at its best. Detroit is improving at a nice clip but its nothing compared to the rest of the country and other major cities. I think Detroit can hang in the top 10 but it will never be up there with NYC LA and Chicago.

Nice pic Ram. How recent is that?

2794796770065681693eOtwgF_th.jpg

1. Here is that new garage, its a parking garage, plus it was cold, so i didn't feel the need to walk down all the way to see it. It doesn't look too extravagant right now, but who knows.

I applogize for this dumb click things, I capped out my flickr for the month.