Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful night shots Allan!!

I'm having a hard time remembering the building directly across Park Ave. from the Kales Building. It looks dark and abandoned. Is it?

It is the Park Avenue Buildiing. It is abandoned right now. From what I understand the owner is planning to do something with it, but who knows. He also owns the Charlevoix hotel behind it with plans for that as well. Once again this is Detroit so I will believe it when I see it.

I have always liked the restaraunt sign on the first floor of the Park Ave. building it reminded me of the one from Seinfeld. :)

Allan, your first night photo really shows the development potential for the United Artists site. Even though the parcel is not symmetric, a 4-cornered building can still fit on that site.

I wonder how full the underground garage at Grand Circus Park is. Could the UA site be marketed as having available underground parking, in which they could build another tunnel under Park Ave? OR, a smaller-scale underground garage could be built connected to both the UA and the garage under GCP. Lots of possibilities it seems.

I never noticed it before, but the top of it (the lower part of the picture) looks like popsicle sticks :)

Your pictures are really nice zissou, right now your picture of The Buhl Building, Guardian Building, with a little bit of comerica sticking out is my desktop. It might be the one where the Guardian Building is mislabeled.

I'll be in Detroit on May 18 and 19 with some time to kill on the 18th. I'll be staying downtown at the Hotel Ponchatrain (sp). Where are some good places to get some food around there. Also, maybe a good place to get in a few shots. (pictures that is, not jagerbombs. :sick: ).

Look forward to being in the D though. It has really been way too long. Probebly two years. Well, I take that back. I did hit a Tigers games early in the season last year but still, too long.

35 flights up...35 flights down...twice! I would've only had to do it once, but I had to go meet Michi downstairs since my phone died on me. And stupid me decided that it would be a good idea to lug all the camera equipment down the stairs. Climbing all the stairs isn't bad unless you try to go straight to the top like I usually do. That's a good workout for anyone, even if you work out on a regular basis. You're looking at 10-15 minutes of stair climbing if you don't stop to take a break. The trip down is faster, but you have to be careful, or you'll get dizzy from walking in circles. :lol:

Yah, Allan was awesome to come all the way back down just to go right back up. I was with Tony-Detroit (from SSP) and we couldn't find the stairs. The whole time going up, I kept saying to myself, "I can't imagine going up this thing by myself". lol

It was such a neat experience...but I wish I had my tripod. :(

Thanks again, Allan!

Here is an interesting documentation of the decay of a two-family flat on Detroit's far east side. It's amazing what a couple scrappers and just a few months of being unoccupied will do to a frame house. In October the building was recently vacated, with no broken windows. By Saturday, the scrappers had taken most of the brick, and the foundation was mostly gone, causing the house to sag.

130278091_d5dd92d5c5_b.jpg

service1.jpg

This is the ever-charming, brick-paved Service Street. It runs south of Gratiot between Russell and Riopelle, and has fortunately escaped repaving over the years. After checking out old maps, this street appears to have either been an alley between Gratiot and the old route of Antietam Avenue (which was rerouted somewhat when Lafayette Park was built) or part of Antietam itself.