Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

Here is an interesting documentation of the decay of a two-family flat on Detroit's far east side. It's amazing what a couple scrappers and just a few months of being unoccupied will do to a frame house. In October the building was recently vacated, with no broken windows. By Saturday, the scrappers had taken most of the brick, and the foundation was mostly gone, causing the house to sag.

130278091_d5dd92d5c5_b.jpg

that part of town is long. gone. ****in scrappers still annoy me though.

Too bad it wont receive any attention anytime soom, being on the far east side. Probably about 15 years before we see any gentrification over there.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The house lies within the boundaries of the Far Eastside project (on Lenox between Jefferson & Kercheval). No work over there yet related specifically to that project, but there are some other infill houses going in. There are some nice brick homes going on a Marlborough Street, and a few other scattered pockets of infill housing here and there.

This is the ever-charming, brick-paved Service Street. It runs south of Gratiot between Russell and Riopelle, and has fortunately escaped repaving over the years. After checking out old maps, this street appears to have either been an alley between Gratiot and the old route of Antietam Avenue (which was rerouted somewhat when Lafayette Park was built) or part of Antietam itself.

This is why I am so opposed to "super block" development. Not that all super blocks replace this kind of cityscape, but this does represent what old Detroit was like in an urbane sense. Plum Street, Lafayette Park, parts of Park Avenue, where the stadiums are, east of Hastings parallel to I-75...etc...

Thanks!

The tire thing actually worked out ok, since I got it repaired for free. The only bad thing is that I missed our little impromptu forum meet in Ann Arbor, but I would've been pushing the timing anyway, seeing as how I didn't get done with class until 5:05 (I was planning to leave at 3:45) and I would've been stuck in the middle of rush hour gridlock. With all the construction between here an Ann Arbor it probably would've taken me at least an hour and a half, if not more, to get there.

This thread has had some unbelievable photography lately. Keep them coming everyone!

I suppose we could have another Ann Arbor meetup tomorrow if anyone is interested. Please! not too early though. I just got done with my semester yesterday and my friends get done today, so you probably will know what will happen tonight :alc: Sunday won't work either cause I'll be in Chicago again, despite being there just the other day.