Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome, Allan!

In reference to scale, I'm just saying that there are more appropriate spaces in the CBD for tall towers. I don't think it is necessary for there to be any height restrictions anywhere in downtown Detroit, including GCP, but any good planner would take into consideration a range of things including scale, architecture appearance, materials used, and surroung environment.

GCP has an entirely different feel than the highrises of the "Financial District". It is in that location that would accomodate an iconic tower exceeding, say 25 stories. GCP, in my humble opinion, would look better with structures playing off the unique characteristics that are currently in place.

It's not all that subtle; it sticks out like a sore thumb amongst all of the brick. I just wished they could have designed even a little bit of extra detail to give it some kind of character. I'm not joking when I say it looks completely unfinished, especially considering the postmodern designs that directly abut it.

70672.jpg

All that said, I'm really glad with the direction developers are now going in in concerns to quality of design. These are much better, architecturally, than Woodward Place, the pioneer residential development.

Edited by Lmichigan

It's not all that subtle; it sticks out like a sore thumb amongst all of the brick. I just wished they could have designed even a little bit of extra detail to give it some kind of character. I'm not joking when I say it looks completely unfinished, especially considering the postmodern designs that directly abut it.

I think that the corner building would have looked better if the score marks for the oversized "stone" blocks had been left out, more prominent window trim and some sort of feature for the door (such as an overhang or porch) were added, and possibly painted more of a nuetral tone rather than white.

Maybe the dormer could have also been moved to the corner and made more of a tower feature.

But I would also have to say that I like the other seven units and this is certainly a step above Woodward Place with its vinyl bay windows and unit after unit of the same design.

BTW, what does the back of Centurion Place look like? I'm guessing the garages are all located back there.

GRDad, 3 of the buildings are vacant: the 12-story building second from left (Park Avenue Building), the 6-story red brick building with arched windows (Fine Arts Building), and the little two story building second from right.

The Fine Arts Building will be either torn down or renovated in the next year. It is owned by the Ilitch family, and is in very bad shape. The Park Avenue Building has a caretaker, and will eventually be renovated into lofts, but that is likely several years down the road. I'm not sure what the plans for the little 2-story building are.

GRDad, 3 of the buildings are vacant: the 12-story building second from left (Park Avenue Building), the 6-story red brick building with arched windows (Fine Arts Building), and the little two story building second from right.

The Fine Arts Building will be either torn down or renovated in the next year. It is owned by the Ilitch family, and is in very bad shape. The Park Avenue Building has a caretaker, and will eventually be renovated into lofts, but that is likely several years down the road. I'm not sure what the plans for the little 2-story building are.

The 2-story building is called the Park Building and is the former site of the famous brass rail bar.

69687.gif

70011.jpg

70050.jpg

all these images were taken from the Detroityes site. http://127.0.0.1/forum/messages/5/69686.html

Edited by bobjgumby

GRCentro here, but thank's for the info Allan! ;)

Reasons why you need at least 5 hours of sleep

REM sleep is very important to keeping us sane and we need approximately 4 hours REM sleep per night to allow our brains to function correctly while we are awake.

Too many students obsess over finals. Get some rest before you permanently damage your health and your grade point average.

How fast did they build this? It seems like it was just announced. It is a very nice project and they put it away from the street at a right distance. Not to close. Not to far away. Also it has a very nice design. I am impressed. How many more of these units are to be built?

They went up fast because the interiors will be custom finished to the purchaser's request. So, the skeleton's wer built rather quickly, while the interiors will be built out as they are sold.

I've read that there will be landscaping complimenting these structures. I'm hoping that will really make them look more appealing. I like them, but from the renderings, I imagined a little more splash of color.