Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep up the good work! You have a very nice collection of photos, and sometimes a lot of info to go along with individual pictures.

Do you have your files named and organized in a certain way? It has to be hell trying to keep track of all of those.

Thanks. :)

I keep the photos I take arranged by date. There is one folder for each day I go out and take photos. There are subfolders for the low resolution photos for each day. I have found this system to work well.

In addition to keeping my photos on my laptop, I back up all my photos on my PC, and I make two CDs for each date I shoot photos. I keep one CD at school, and one at my parents' house. Hard drives do fail, and I don't want to take any chances.

Thanks.  :)

I keep the photos I take arranged by date.  There is one folder for each day I go out and take photos.  There are subfolders for the low resolution photos for each day.  I have found this system to work well. 

In addition to keeping my photos on my laptop, I back up all my photos on my PC, and I make two CDs for each date I shoot photos.  I keep one CD at school, and one at my parents' house.  Hard drives do fail, and I don't want to take any chances.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's how I store my photos, too, except that I give the folder a title after the date to help me get an idea of what pictures are inside. I need to handle my backing up better, though. My camera's memory card died on me Christmas morning, and I don't even remember what I had on there :-/

My folders have a title too. At first the titles were simple, like "2004_01_01 - Detroit", but now I use the specific areas of the city. Otherwise I'd never find anything!

I got a new CF card for my camera for Christmas (nobody knew what else to get me, lol). Anyway, now I have 1 GB, plus the 256 MB card that I used to use. I don't think I'll run out of space now!

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

The D.J. Healy Company Building on Woodward is now home to Athlete's Foot. The building was designed in 1910 by Postie and Mahler. While the building retains its Chicago styled architecture on lower floors, the eclectic detailing on the top floor has been removed, along with the tiled parapet cap.

IMG_5287.jpg

This is the building that had the cornice fall off and kill a women in the late 50's. The mayor ordered all buildings to remove their gingerbread (referring to the cornices), so cornices all around the city were ripped off and thrown in the garage, leaving bare spots where they once were. Check out the Grinnel Bro Music cornice on Woodward, it is now just a bare building with orante window borders, it's forcal poijnt was the cornice...it is now gone

The bottom floor is one of downtown Detroit's thriving businesses - a wig shop. The upper floors are at least somewhat occupied. When I was in Detroit on Tuesday I noticed that the lights were on on the seventh floor. That was it though. My guess would be that it is pretty raw space and not really finished off. They are doing something to the facade. I'm not exactly sure what they are doing, but it seems like that scaffolding has been there forever now! As far is when the facade was modified, I do not know. The windows are covered up with terra cotta, so I'm assuming they covered them up while T.B. Rayl was still in business there.

The T.B. Rayl Company was started in 1872 by Thomas B. Rayl and Dudley W. Smith. They were the first in Detroit to sell roller skates, wire nails, and bicycles. Sometime between 1930 and the early 1950s the company moved from Woodward to 1149 Griswold, the Capitol Park Building. The company apparently went out of business sometime during 1957.

Here is a photo I took this past summer of the same building. I have no idea what the significance of the gold treasure box is, but if you look closely at Alan's picture you will see that they are all over the building.

Also note the different times on the clocks. Funny.....

- BR

0.jpg

Edited by Brother Ray

I have never understood the treasure chest thing on the building. Maybe they had some extras from when it was a hardware store and they couldn't sell them so they attached them to the building. LOL. It seems that they added them when they covered up the lower windows. It is kind of a strange setup. It would be nice to see the building completely restored.