Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I never really payed attention to how ornate the Book tower really is. Now could we just take a pressure washer, maybe some clorox and make it not look like poo?

Edited by MJLO

I haven't seen or heard of anything since quite a few years ago when they stopped cleaning the building. The only big news I've heard from the building, in years, is that she moved all of the complexs tenants to the tower portion. That website hasn't been updated in years.

Edited by Lmichigan

Allan, any pics?
Well, had I not found out today that I don't have a job anymore, I could afford to go out and take some. But seeing as how I have a whole $174 to my name at this point, my priority is finding a new job. Ahh, the life of a broke college student....

Book Tower looks really good. I turned it into my new desktop! :lol: It looks really heavy too, must have been a pain to build.

Does anyone have any pictures of the base of 211 fort street? The building seemed like a quicky to make for Sim City, but there aren't any pictures of the bottom. I'm also not sure how the roof works on the top. All I know is that it has mechanical stuff and a water tower, and that it's open to the air.

Book Tower looks really good. I turned it into my new desktop! :lol: It looks really heavy too, must have been a pain to build.

Does anyone have any pictures of the base of 211 fort street? The building seemed like a quicky to make for Sim City, but there aren't any pictures of the bottom. I'm also not sure how the roof works on the top. All I know is that it has mechanical stuff and a water tower, and that it's open to the air.

I don't have any pictures of 211, but the top mechanical level is, indeed, a creative mechanical work (cooling tower). There is another mechanical floor at floor 8. The base is something you've have to work on, as the building sits on a signicant slope (11'-2"). The entrance is along Fort that includes a small plaza with a reflecting pool. The back of the building is a dark granite retaining wall.

Damn Allan, that really sucks. I hope you find a new one soon. If the hunt becomes hard, don't forget there are plenty of open jobs up here in the Tri-Cities + affordable apartments. Or you could go somewhere outside the state of Michigan, lol. When I was in Chicago last, I went around picking applications at a bunch of places around the downtown and heard back from 60% of them, unfortunately there's no way I could afford an apartment out there right now, so I'm back up in the Saginaw area until something better comes along since the promised internship sort of fell through.

Yeah...it does really suck. I have 4 or 5 leads on jobs now, so the search is on. Some are more promising than others. I really want to work in the city because driving out to the suburbs every day would suck, and I'm not planning on moving back to the burbs anytime soon...after putting up with them for 20 years I've had enough. LOL.

Thanks Lmichigan. I think I might just level the base and bring whatever needs to be brought up to the ground level.

Here's a progress picture for anyone who's curious. Only the glass has been textured, and of course, even that is still a work in progress.

211wfa2er.jpg

Cool! :)

I'm not sure what building I'll be doing next. I wanted to the do Guardian or the Buhl, but I'd need 3dsmax for that, and I haven't gotten it yet.

I've done quick feasability experiments with 1 woodward avenue, but at the time it was harder than I thought. Now it might be easier to do, and might actually be a quicky. I don't think it would be a bad one to do, since it's by a famous architect, and because it's modern (since Detroit has more than just beautiful abandoned old buildings, and I'd rather not contribute too much to that stereotype). I'm also a little tired of doing old buildings right now, so doing a few quick modern buildings would be refreshing.

The Vinton building is still where it was a while ago, but I figured I'd wait for it to be renovated in real life, since that's supposed to be happening soon, and the renovation might change the looks of part of it.

I know what you mean. The detail can get pretty time consuming that you find on older buildings. But yeah, 3ds is so much better because of its speed. For some reason, GMax just runs horribly, period. I can have a massive model open in 3ds, doing a full render and still be running a hundred other things at once w/o slowdowns. Not to mention, 3ds doesn't crash and just in case has autobak functions.

yeah, I like to have gmax, photoshop (with a few pretty big files open), and firefox (with alot of tabs open), when I BAT, and it gets pretty slow, lol.

here's the page with all the progress and updates on it, although I think most of the regulars here have also posted there:

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/messagevi...=y&STARTPAGE=57

211 W. Fort looks good, Jason! I haven't checked in on Simtropolis since before the Fall semester started. I just don't have the time anymore. It's probably been almost a year since I've played Sim City, I'm sorry to say. One of these days when I'm not crawling around in abandoned buildings, out looking for a job, taking photos, working on the LTU solar decathlon house, working on the student lounge project, working on my portfolio, or doing some sort of work around the house I will have to load it up again. I really think I got busier when the semester ended. :lol:

I might be able to get a hold of some plans of the Vinton Building post-renovation so that you can finish that project up. I run into the guy who facilitated the whole deal from time to time when I'm out and about.