Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

What a beautiful picture, baldy. I adore Elmwood Cemetery. Cemeteries are such special places. When I travel I try to include a cemetery visit in the itinerary. So much can be learned by a stroll through a cemetery and the peace and quite are always a welcome bonus.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice Michi! I agree, cemeteries are great places to walk around since they are like parks. In many cases, they are better maintained than parks!

My sister, who lives in L.A., goes to this weekly event they hold in a cemetery where many movie stars are buried. They show older films there and everyone brings food, and sometimes dresses up as the characters in the movie. They get really huge turnouts and it has gotten to be a big thing out there.

Very nice Michi! I agree, cemeteries are great places to walk around since they are like parks. In many cases, they are better maintained than parks!

My sister, who lives in L.A., goes to this weekly event they hold in a cemetery where many movie stars are buried. They show older films there and everyone brings food, and sometimes dresses up as the characters in the movie. They get really huge turnouts and it has gotten to be a big thing out there.

That sounds like loads of fun. Here in Canton, the historical society every so often will have "cemetery walks" where they take you through the townships old cemeteries and tell you about the war veterans and point out their graves and they tell you other interesting facts about the lands history. I love them, a good amount of people show up to them too.

globetradingco.jpg

Interior of the Globe Trading Co.

The Globe Trading Company is one of the few remaining buildings in Detroit's Rivertown area. The portion shown in this photo and the front wing of the building are supposed to be renovated, but we'll see if that happens. The building became such a liability that the owners cut the stairways out at the landings to prevent people from going up to the upper floors. The building seems to get a lot of visitors taking pictures, but was quiet on this particular day.

Actually, now this one is my desktop. My icons go in the open space in the upper left. I appreciate how you also include the origonal size on flickr, since I have a high resolution moniter I use photoshop to scale it down to fit my moniter right (sometimes "strech" distorts the picture).

Some people have said that they'd get some pictures of 211 West Fort, but anyone can feel free to beat them to the punch. It doesn't need to be good photography, I just need to see the back half of the base of the building.

nytimes.jpg

This New York Times stand at West Fort and Cabacier allows one to buy the latest copy of the paper, provided you wake up on August 1, 2003.

1366-fort-w.jpg

Across the street at 1366 West Fort at 8th stands this beautiful commercial building housing 1/25863nd of all Subway locations worldwide. There probably used to be many more buildings like this in the neighborhood.