Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like that parking lot next to the Madison Lenox has been there forever. I always thought it was funny how the Milner Hotels point was all that occupied the street frontage and that some other building should be built next door. Its also strange to see that those tall buildings in Brush Park were demolished just recently to make way for the stadiums, I barely remember them.

The Plaza Hotel was outdated very early on. It was doomed with the opening of hotels like the Statler, Book-Cadillac, and Fort Shelby. It was a very classy place in its day, though.

plaza_hotel.jpg

Photo from WSU Virtual Motor City

It looks like that parking lot next to the Madison Lenox has been there forever. I always thought it was funny how the Milner Hotels point was all that occupied the street frontage and that some other building should be built next door. Its also strange to see that those tall buildings in Brush Park were demolished just recently to make way for the stadiums, I barely remember them.

I'm pretty sure Brush Park ended at Vernor (present day Fisher Freeway). Even before the freeway Brush Park only came to where it is now. Can anyone confirm that?

Historically there were mansions all around Grand Circus Park, but only the area north of Vernor was known as Brush Park. It was one of the areas of land subdivided by the Brush family in the 1870s. Henry T. Brush was the architect on several of the mansions that were constructed, including the Ransom Gillis Home (205 Alfred/63 Alfred).

A few from last weekend:

jeffersonw2.jpg

jeffersonw.jpg

Looking west and east respectively down West Jefferson, one of the more fascinatingly intersting streets in the city. The "pavement" is awful, but since I trekked on foot from downtown it wasn't a problem. I would have loved to walk down while the area was still thriving with heavy industry. There are half-buried railroad spurs leading into most of the buildings on the north side of the street.

jeffersonw-15th.jpg

The top of Michigan Central Station peeking through at 15th Street.

newark.jpg

Me kicking about on Newark and West Vernor, examining the vintage brick.

mcs.jpg

MCS itself. Under the railroad bridge I met a guy from Cincinnati in for the DEMF who decided to check out some of the ruins. I half-expected him to be someone from one of the many forums full of people like us, but he wasn't. I think I actually scared him by semi-following him in the tunnel. Nice guy, though; he gave me a ride back downtown to save myself from walking back in the ninety degree heat.

Are there new window boards on the Metropolitan building or have I just not been paying attention?

It might have something to do with Blade. Supposedly they've been filming here, and that building is Blade's HQ.

Zapezord, I think that picture has a big small-town-feeling to it.

one of my pet peeves with downtown detroit are the overhead wires...

c'mon guys.

One of my pet peeves about Detroit is how they are replacing the traffic lights that are hanging on metal arms with traffic lights that are hanging on wires strung across the road. It looks so tacky...I understand it is a money issue, but still....

totally agree with you on that one, Allan. Downtown signals should all be on mast arms with lighted street signs... no ifs ands or buts. Hell, there are signals in the middle of cornfields in Pittsfield Township that are on mast arms with backlit street signs.