Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shorty after taking this some security guy came and told me that I couldnt take pictures of the building from the outside due to security reasons. I knew they hastled you while in the building but now on the riverwalk? I think thats garbage. So i said ok and began taking shots of Windsor and he came running back over on his walkie talkie asking me if I was gonna be trouble. I told him no im not taking pictures of the building im taking shots of Windsor and he said I couldnt do that because GM owned the riverwalk. I figured ok just the GM promenade but then he told me GM owned the entire thing and if I was to go further down and take shots that he would have to call back up and take my camera. I ask, what has the world come to?

166950651_3c265f8bc1_b.jpg

The same thing happened to me last month when I was taking pictures of the GM/UAW Training Center. And I've been a UAW member for 35 years so my dues help pay for that building. Security guards can be such jerks! Nice picture, by the way.

Edited by Ramcharger

I take pictures at Ren Cen all the time. So does everyone else. In fact, Tuesday evening I walked into the building with a friend who was carrying a tripod and the officer at the kiosk said, "it's fine to take pictures. You just can't use the tripod in the building."

I think they need to be a little more consistent.

well, I guess it's a big secret what the ren cen looks like. They don't want the terrorists to get the top secret information! :ph34r:

it's a nice picture. the person in the front really reminds you how big the building is (I've noticed that in a lot of city pictures, the sense of scale is lost).

well, I guess it's a big secret what the ren cen looks like. They don't want the terrorists to get the top secret information! :ph34r:

it's a nice picture. the person in the front really reminds you how big the building is (I've noticed that in a lot of city pictures, the sense of scale is lost).

i know what you mean about the sense of scale.In pics it doesnt look that big, but when i was in Detroit a few weeks ago i was like, wow, thats actually really big.

I take a billion photos of the Rencen with security nearby, and never have I been hassled. I guess there's probably a couple guys there who like to assert their power lol. But yeah, photography within the RenCen has generally been permissable. BTW, they own the Riverfront plaza, and maybe even parts of Atwater, so they technically tell you do whatever they want.

Beautiful Zissou...I just wish the fountain was on to compliment to skyline and the variety of colors.

Several fountains around town are not on, kinda disappointing. You guys know I'm a sucker for water features. Dodge, Scott and Harmonie Park fountains are all off :(.

Indeed. Gratiot Central Market along with Eastern Market is a HUGE connecting node of activity that when maximized, will provide a major link to many up-and-coming areas: downtown CBD, Lafayette Park, East Riverfront, Midtown/New Center, Hamtramck, and beyond.

Went to the Tiger game this afternoon (a 5-0 shutout of Houston, with a hair under 30,000 attending), and as I was checking out the riverfront these mean storm clouds rolled in. It looked odd standing there in sunshine with the blackness in the distance. Everything looks OK for the fireworks, though. Oh, and downtown was absolutely jumping for a Wednesday afternoon!

river-rain.jpg