Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saturday, January 15, 2005

The Douglas MacArthur Bridge opened to traffic on September 1, 1923. The original wood and steel bridge to the Belle Isle was constructed in 1889. It burned down in 1915, and a temporary bridge was constructed in 1916. It remained in service until the current bridge opened. The MacArthur Bridge cost $2,635,000 to build and claimed the lives of five workmen. A subway approach to the bridge from East Grand Avenue went under Jefferson. The MacArthur Bridge underwent a restoration in 1986.

IMG_5396.jpg

Bridge facts

* 2,193 feet long.

* Maximum clearance above water of 30 feet.

* 85 feet wide -- 59 feet for roadway, 12 feet for sidewalks.

* 3,000 tons of structural steel went into the building of the bridge, and 20,000 cubic yards of concrete form the foundations and grace the arches of its skeleton.

* Renamed Douglas MacArthur Bridge in 1942.

* Restored in 1986 under a $11.5 million federally funded project.

Source: The Detroit News

Is this Nabisco building still in use today, or is it vacant?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The building is vacant but still appears to be in good shape. I did notice that there is a light on on the second or third floor, so the electricity to the building has not been shut off. There is a "For Sale or Lease" sign on the building. I hope it gets renovated eventually. The area is fairly industrial, so I doubt they would renovate it into lofts, but it would make good office space. It has plenty of parking and is right next to the Lodge Freeway, so I have high hopes for the building.

Well with what we can tell from the plans for detroit buildings most of the owners (or people who deserve to own it) have hopes of turning their vacant buildings into lofts. I think it's great to hear things like this and a good way to bring people back into the city. Hopefully these plans will go through soon. By the way, what's it like in the New Center area? I've been there a few times, but I usually don't stay very long and end up just checking out the Fisher Building. Is there any hope for New Center expanding and becoming another big buissiness district? Or is it basically set how it is?

The Argonaut Building is set to be renovated into 250 loft apartments and ground floor retail. New Center Park will be updated. Other than that I don't know of any plans. Detroit can't really support a second business district. If we had a strong downtown that would be another story. So NC will remain pretty much how it is for the near future. Hopefully there will be more lofts and other projects to bring residents to the area soon.

Monday, January 17, 2005

Ste. Anne's Church is the second oldest Catholic Church in the country. The parish was founded in 1701. Only the parish in St. Augustine, Florida is older. The current building was constructed in 1887 and seats 1400 worshipers, about 75% of whom are hispanic.

IMG_5730.jpg

I always chuckle to myself when I see this historic church and realize that this catholic chruch, established by the German community - now mostly hispanic, is sitting in the heart of...... GREEKTOWN! It truly is beautiful both on the outside and inside.

- BR

Edited by Brother Ray

Actually this church was established by the French settlers to the area and is located in Southwest Detroit near Mexicantown.  The church you're thinking of is the Saint Mary Catholic Church in Greektown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now I feel really silly........ :blush:

Next time I will be sure to read the text more carefully and get the names right. You do have to admit, they look alike. I'll have to dig up my old photos of St. Mary's for comparison.

- BR

More churches then any city in the world wow..... I never knew that.

Now we need to get more synagogues operating in Detroit so we can

be more diverse. Do you know that there are only two operating synagogues

In all of Detroit?! Basically the only major cities that have less are the one's in texas.