Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's been pretty close to my vision, too, especially the placement of the new arena. Though, I wish the whole of the Fisher through downtown could be capped to reconnect more tightly Brush Park and Cass Park to downtown. Seeing the old photos of how they once seamlessly melded into one another just looks so right. :)

foxtownmeoy0.jpg

I would have the cap go equal on each side of woodward. The purpose is to make pedestrains more comfortable, and putting it all on one side doesn't do that as well as putting it on both. Also, there's a church on the one side, and having a little park thing there would make it nicer. Since churches are important community points, I think it's good to not have a highway cutting it off from midtown, where I'm guessing most of it's people live.

Then I'd connect Witherell street to the service drive, and I'd put a big parking structure in the new block formed. I think the GCP garage should be used mostly for other things in the area, not the sports venues. The new garage would also service the church. Ideally, this garage would put all of the surface lots out of business, allowing for development to replace all foxtown lots. Since GCP garage is freed up, perhaps parking won't be as much of an issue for GCP developments. Although I'm not an expert at all on the parking garage usage, or how the parking business really works. The shaded area on the yellow is retail. It's only on one side because I don't think it would be sucsessfull on any of the other sides.

The red wings can go in that blue spot, with retail lining the streets. No matter where the red wings would be, there would be a lot of little food places and stuff going in the building, however they would be planned, they would be accesseble from the street, but still convienient for the hockey people.

I'm not sure if that's a good thing that three sport places, plus theaters are in one spot. If there were games at all places, and shows all letting out at the same time, it would be hell, especailly with most of the people at a few mega garages.

But yeah, I'm not a pro or anything, so what I see probably has a lot of flaws in it.

No. The lack of windows is because the elevator shafts (5 of the 6) are located there. The 6th is a freight elevator.

Oh, i just assumed that it was because the oringinal architect assumed there would be another building built next to it, and didnt bother to put windows in it. Which is what ive seen on many other buildings, but not one that big(that i know of). They probobly assumed back in the day that downtown Detroit would be as dense as manhattan. At least thats what i assumed.

They figured another building would be put there, which is why they put the elevators there, to clear up the floor space in the rest of the building.

But, for example, Book Tower, that has windows on it's back, but it's still not decorated, because they figured another building would go there and cover it up anyway. But there are still windows there.

^ Ha, that still doesn't mean we can't go old fashioned... the days when elevators were open iron and the shafts had windows.
LOL, good luck with that one! Detroit codes prohibit windows in elevators. That's why the windows in the Detroit Life Building elevators will be bricked in during the renovation.

Yeah, Zissou has it right. Glass elevators are different than conventional elevator shafts with windows plopped into them. It has to do with fire codes.

Dtown, I don't have a photo of the elevator shafts off hand. In fact, I might not have one at all...it's been a long time since I've been in that building.

Nice composition, though you may want to take the fake clouds out if it. You can tell its tweaked, and the clouds so low just look a bit over the top. BTw, I know I ask this of a lot of your photos, but would you happen to have the unphotoshopped/tweaked version to view? Those are my favorites.

Edited by Lmichigan

If I upload the original untweaked photo ill put it up for you Lmich and Im laughing regarding those fake clouds. They are very much real, the only thing done to the photo is the layering of several images, everything in the shot is how it was.

The building in the foreground is the abandoned Metropolitan building.