Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't visited this thread in a while. Still doing good, and I keep learning new things. Now I know where the name "Nabisco" comes from. :P

Any chance of a Corktown tour? It's one of the more popular Detroit neighborhoods I've never been to.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I will be posting my Corktown tour right after I post my Woodbridge tour. I could actually switch the order of the two tours, but I've been promising that I'd show Woodbridge for a while now. I've already slipped a Corktown photo or two into this thread as a teaser. I will post the Woodbridge tour once the Indian Village thread dies down. And I will post the Corktown tour after the Woodbridge thread dies down. So look for the Corktown thread in 2-3 weeks. The photos are already uploaded and thread is put together, so it's just a simple cut and paste job. In other words, I can't use the "But I have no time to make a photo thread" excuse, since posting the thread will take about 10 seconds. :P

I like the design of that building.  Where is it at and what is it currently being used for?  They would make for some great lofts!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The building is at 2110 Park Avenue, just north of the Kales. It is being used by the DPD as a police recruitment center.

Ah yes the Leland, designed by famous Chicago-based architects Rapp & Rapp who designged the Michigan and did the terrible renovation of the Fisher (they weren't alive back then and the foudners long dead)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for adding that info. It looks like I forgot to put the architects in. I could've sworn I included that! LOL. The crazy things I do when I don't have any sleep....

Nice pic; I could tell that the downtown core is stagnant from the pic, there's no cranes or new buildings going up and the buildings look like they are from awhile ago.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As far as new buildings, the newest thing we have is the 15 story Compuware Building, which is not visable in the photo. Everything else is about 15 years old or older. The Ren Cen is so large that it killed the downtown office market for a good 15 after it was built. Then in the late 1980s and early 1990s we saw 150 West Jefferson and Comerica Tower rise. They may be building a new 10-15 story building downtown in the next couple of years, but you won't be able to see it from the riverfront.

Is that a sign that the city is at least recovering? Or is it still falling?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The city is still loosing population, but it is recovering, albeit slowly. Last year 800 building permits were issued in the city. It doesn't seem like much, but in a city that saw almost no new construction between 1960 and the late 1990s, it is a huge step. The crime rate was slightly higher last year, but it is still following a downward trend. People are starting to rediscover downtown, thanks to the new stadiums, the theater district, and the new Campus Martius Park. Along Woodward Avenue, buildings that had been vacant for 20 years or more now serve as lofts. Two chains - Borders and Hard Rock Cafe opened up in the Compuware building last year. The Ren Cen renovations are nearing completion, the Riverwalk just opened up in front of the Ren Cen and the section to the east is under construction. New streetscapes have been installed on Broadway, and are under construction along Woodward and Washington. The Kales Building is being renovated into 167 apartments...A new 15 story office tower is proposed for the vacant Kennedy Block downtown...the list of projects is quite long. The city still has a long way to go, but it has not looked this good in years.