Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

Well i sorta knew that, i guess what i meant to say, it why are they above as opposed to below? It seems like when thye put the tracks in, probobly early 1900s, they wouldve put them under, because of the more dense type of development that was taking place, not to mention the ammount of noise it must make. I guess it looks sorta jerry rigged to me. Ive seen tracks like this before, in flint. The tracks are up, but the road has dip a little to get under it, and it still only has like 13' of clearance.

Edited by dtown

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, ive seen them before, in Flint actually, where they are just depressed, like a freeway. Then the road has a bridge over them, forming sortof a small gulley. IDK,just seems like it would be easier to dig out than to add dirt.

Anyway, back to the photos...

Unfortunately, the security is a little too late. I tried in vain all summer long to try to get the owners to seal the place up, but it didn't work too well. The building was pristine on my first visit. On a return trip the very next day, many things had already been smashed/stolen. With the matter of another week, the hole building turned into a hobo hotel. Between the hobos and the scrappers the place got pretty trashed (although some floors have been trashed for years - the Whitney needed a lot more than the coat of paint before it could reopen). I guess that's just what happens when you have an abandoned building with unlocked doors in downtown Detroit. There was once a time when you could actually take a stroll though the building...enter on Woodward and exit via the door on Park or a board on Washington. One would've thought that the building was still occupied by the amount of traffic it received!

• 2 weeks later...

I recently got a hold of Renaissance Man, a 1994 Danny DeVito flick written by U-M screenwriting professor Jim Berstein (also of Mighty Ducks 3 infamy.) DeVito's character is an advertising exec for a firm in Detroit before he's fired and gets a job teaching dim-bulb army recruits Shakespeare. Anyway, the first several scenes have some interesting early 90s shots of downtown, so I though I'd post them.

ren-2.jpg

The west side of Woodward, much as it looks today. I would have loved to see the east side, though, since it has all been demolished for Comerica Park and the surface lots in front of it. Notice Hudson's on the far left.

ren-3.jpg

The Corner.

ren-1.jpg

Downtown west, with the recently-demolished People's Outfitting Building sporting a bright Newport cigarette ad.

ren-4.jpg

A closeup of the ad.

ren-5.jpg

The Coney Islands.

ren-6.jpg

The northwest corner of Michigan and Griswold, featuring the Kinsel's drugstore building, demolished in 2001. Here it appears to be hosting a Taco Bell on the first floor. This block, along with the formerly-adjacent People's Outfitting Building, is going to be filled with a parking garage (with condos) for the Book-Cadillac.

ren-7.jpg

Danny DeVito looking even shorter than he really is alongside a suspicious amount of foot traffic.

probably a month or two. It is not a fast process by any means.

I will yield to the preservationists as I am one for the most part... for whatever reason though, this building never did anything for me... too simple I guess.

374027514_aeb10aecbe_b.jpg

Edited by tapezord

I guess it's just the sentimental place in history and it's significance. That being Detroit just doesn't build midrise office structures like this "out of the blue" any more. I suppose it's the fact that it is a nondescript building that just lays low is what makes it so cool and appreciated.