Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a side note-are there any plans to improve the streetscape infront of the B-C? It looks like it could kind of use some planters or landscaping.(yeah, i know its closed off because of construction, but you know what i mean)

Edited by dtown

Yes, I believe the Michigan Avenue Streetscape project includes all the way to Campus Martius. Other phases are already complete on the far west side (near the Dearborn border) and in Corktown (Slows/Old Tiger Stadium). It is just a matter of time (and phases) kinda like Woodward, that the rest of Michigan gets re-streetscapped. Woodward also has one phase left, from north of Mack to Wayne State/Warren.

The Commerce Building did not have its details stripped from the top. To be honest, there wasn't much up there worth saving. The most ornate stuff was removed in the great cornice chop of the late 50's.

It's always a weird feeling to see a building which I've been in demolished. Just months ago I walked up and down the stairs, which are now a pile of rubble. Oh well, at least I have photos and a 1940s aluminum desk chair (which I had to haul down about 10 flights of stairs).

michi, glad to hear about the other Woodward phase....I was wondering why that was never done. Do u know the timeline for that project? I personally think they should put those lamp sign flags up most of the way down Woodward. They are there it a couple places, but it would cool to ahve "brush park" lamp signs and "cultural center" or "orchestra place" (which I think exist there actually) and "wayne state" etc etc

I also hope UCCA develops a streetscape improvement plan for Cass and or 2nd...at least some pedestrian lighting. The difference in the neighborhood's appearance between night and day is literally like night and day

Last I checked, I thought I remember the last phase of Woodward was suppose to start last November. Wasn't surprised when it never happened. ;) It's very "Detroit" for public timelines to mean absolutely nothing. It will get done, it's just that the public doesn't know when. UCCA does I'm sure (since they're dictating it).

Cass already has one phase of streetscape improvements finished. It is the section where nothing exists yet just north of WSU and I-94. Go figure that that area was phase 1 when the section between Warren and I-94 (WSU Main Campus) often struggles to light itself at night. I know, I know, who decides these things?

Though I don't know for certain, I'm left to believe that Cass will get the same treatment the northern end of it did. Perhaps as Techtown evolves and all that money is pumped into it over the next 2-3 (or 8 ;)) Years.

The Cass improvements north of 94 was done by the New Center Council which is part of their master plan

I was talking about central midtown area like south Warren (realistically north of like Alexandrine). Cass looks pretty good around WSU, but the new residential corridor needs some work, which I suppose would be the "jurisdiction" of the UCCA as opposd to NCC

I'm not sure. All I know is that the current structure (or at least what's left of it) had its grand opening in 1925. A friend & fellow urban explorer picked up a medal on Ebay that was handed out to those who attended. The current structure replaced a much smaller People's Outfitting Company store that was constructed in 1916.