Considering Relocating to Greenville.

Falloutboy

Oh my... I now wonder what I've gotten myself into...

Currently I'm in the process of moving to the Greenville area for a promotion within my company. I spent my childhood and teen years in Gvl, but left immediately after HS for "greener pastures" aka undergrad which took me all over the SE finally to settle in ATL for graduate school and work, where I've called home the past 6 years.

It's quite interesting to read these boards, b/c it seems that while Greenville has grown, certain things have remained the same...

So, I guess my questions are -

how progressive has Greenville become in the last 10-15 years (if at all)....

does Bob Jones Univ still hold the same influence over social and political issues as before...

*and*

for someone who's used to the urban life of Atlanta- aka Buckhead, Brookwood, and Midtown- where would one start to look at places to call home...

I guess I'm a non-traditionalist of sorts, b/c I don't wish to have a home in the 'burbs... but am not sure where the best places to start looking for a nice loft, condo or flat...

Any suggestions???

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will try to help as much as possible, but I have only been in Greenville for a year and about 5 months. When I first moved here from Greenwood I didn't hear much at all about Bob Jones. I only heard it when I came on messageboards such as here. I am black married to someone white and I have had no problems at all. The best place for you to live if at all possible is around downtown. There are plenty of apts, condos, etc. downtown and they are building more. I would love to live there myself but I don't have that kind of money right now. I love Greenville! Glad I choose to live here.

Welcome to UP sportysocrchik!

As monton said- downtown sounds like the place for you. There are tons of residential & urban opportunities. If you are willing to live in an apartment for a year or maybe two, your options would be even more varied. Alot of what is going on now is more on the lines of "Atlanta" --more urban and dense. Lots of townhomes and condos. I am going to pull a post I made from another thread that deals with residential options in and around downtown Greenville.

Check out the Greenville Developments thread too, there is a good deal of discussion or atleast posts regarding downtown living options.

Hi SportySocrChik,

I'll chime in agreement with Spartan and MotonEnterprises. Downtown sounds like the place you oughta be. As Spartan said, there are plenty of Loft/Condo options in and around Downtown with much, much, much, much more to come.

Spartan's Downtown Living Thread:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9535

You're not far away if you're in the Big Peach, so take a weekend day or a day off and hit I-85 and come over and check the scene out. Drive around Downtown Greenville (Main Street, Off Main, and the West End). Get a lay of the land. That'd be the best advice I can give ya.

A couple of places I'd check out are:

The Richland at Cleveland Park (under construction) - Washington St., DT

Poinsett Corners (partially complete) - Broad/River/Court Sts., DT

The Lofts at Mills Mill (recently remodeled) - Church St., Close to DT

55 RiverPlace (under construction) - Camperdown Way, DT

The Edge on N. Main - (construction beginning soon) - N. Main St., DT

Camperdown Condominiums (summer groundbreaking) - Reedy View St., DT

:thumbsup:

If you want to live at The Edge I would be willing to sell you my condo there  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Brad, how did the auction go on The Edge? I wanted to go, but I want out of town on business (and still am actually). I asked a friend to attend in my absence, but he got detained. Any info is appreciated.

thanks all! i really appreciate this...

am planning on coming up next weekend to look around and meet with a realtor...

from what i've seen online of the DT district- would LOVE to move there, but

not sure i could afford to pay $200-300 per sq foot for a loft...

;)

still....thanks a lot and keep the info coming- it's truly appreciated!!!!!

Brad, how did the auction go on The Edge?  I wanted to go, but I want out of town on business (and still am actually).  I asked a friend to attend in my absence, but he got detained.  Any info is appreciated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Depends on what you view of success is. I thought it was great because most stuff was going for under $100/ sf, but I am sure the developer wanted more so from his view it could have gone better.

I just wish I could have bought more than one, one guy bought at least eight units and he was paying the most for them, and stioll got awsome deals.

Hi sportysocrchik,

Based on the places you mentioned in Atlanta, I would consider a house in N. Main or Augusta Rd. in addition to the core downtown area. I lived in Atlanta for 8 years in Midtown, Va. Highlands, Candler Park, and, after having kids, Decatur. I love all of those places and would compare them to the N. Main neighborhoods here. Certainly compared to the Atlanta market, 1900-1930s bungelows seem like a good value here. You can certainly get a fixer upper for under 100/sq. ft.

Depends on what you view of success is.  I thought it was great because most stuff was going for under $100/ sf, but I am sure the developer wanted more so from his view it could have gone better.

I just wish I could have bought more than one, one guy bought at least eight units and he was paying the most for them, and stioll got awsome deals.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting. I would have expected higher prices than those. How was the attendance? Was the crowd mostly spectators? Did the traditional units do better than the industrial? What was the top price?

how progressive has Greenville become in the last 10-15 years (if at all).... 

does Bob Jones Univ still hold the same influence over social and political issues as before...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The State newspaper actually has an article about BJU that may be of interest to you: Bob Jones University: Kinder, gentler philosophy emerges

Interesting.  I would have expected higher prices than those.  How was the attendance?  Was the crowd mostly spectators?  Did the traditional units do better than the industrial? What was the top price?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most of the crowd seemed to be buyers, mostly investers and I would also say probubly mostly Realtors. That was my impresion anyways.

The State newspaper actually has an article about BJU that may be of interest to you: Bob Jones University: Kinder, gentler philosophy emerges

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bob Jones doesn't seem to really be a factor at all in Greenville. Seems the only people concerned with BJU are people who don't live here. For people here it seems to be a joke. When I moved here, some friends in Atlanta were concerned about the whole Bob Jones thing.....it just isn't an issue here. Out of sight, out of mind.

I lived in Dallas, where several televangelist had billboards around the city....alot of relegion there and it's a major metro.

When I lived in midtown Atlanta several churchs in the area were always speaking out about the "gay influence" in midtown.

Greenville is as liberal as anyplace else in the south....I think the influence of the Europeans with BMW, Michelin, etc helps that.

Greenville is simply quality. Four true seasons, geographially beautiful, growing, and a basic attitude of always wanting to better the quality of life.

I've heard from you guys that are more familiar with the Upstate that it really doesn't influence things up there like it is generally perceived throughout the rest of the region, but I hope that the article will help demonstrate to Sportysocrchik that even BJU is considered becoming "progressive" in a way. In other words, that shouldn't even be a major concern (if a concern at all).

I've heard from you guys that are more familiar with the Upstate that it really doesn't influence things up there like it is generally perceived throughout the rest of the region, but I hope that the article will help demonstrate to Sportysocrchik that even BJU is considered becoming "progressive" in a way. In other words, that shouldn't even be a major concern (if a concern at all).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Totally agree!

True. ^_^

Have any of you ever been on BJU's campus? If so, what did you see/think after crossing the threshold? I'm an artist by birth, so I've been to the World-renowned Museum & Gallery on campus. That is one place people don't know enough about. The paintings, woodwork, and sculpture are absolutely incredible! I would highly recommend a visit over there. If you go on Sunday afternoon it's free.

Also, I've heard from other artists/designers in Greenville that BJU has the best fine art instruction in the Upstate. Don't know how accurate that is, but they do have an incredible collection of art. :)

I think they have a nice campus, and people are always friendly their. I have been to see the living gallery and the fine art gallery.

What is nice is that they are going to open a museum at Heritage Green in the old Cokea Cola building that will rotate exibts from the Bob Jones Collection.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. BJU is the butt of many jokes to be sure. I have never considered it to have any influence outside of its campus other than non-locals' perception of it.

True. ^_^

Have any of you ever been on BJU's campus?  If so, what did you see/think after crossing the threshold?  I'm an artist by birth, so I've been to the World-renowned Museum & Gallery on campus.  That is one place people don't know enough about.  The paintings, woodwork, and sculpture are absolutely incredible!  I would highly recommend a visit over there.  If you go on Sunday afternoon it's free.

Also, I've heard from other artists/designers in Greenville that BJU has the best fine art instruction in the Upstate.  Don't know how accurate that is, but they do have an incredible collection of art. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Skyliner et al....

Actually, I spent many weekends of my childhood in the '80s and early '90s in Greenville on Bob Jones' campus for various music competitions and other events. In addition, had quite a few teachers from there while a student at Trinity Lutheran & Shannon Forest, so it's not going off others' views. Glad to hear that the school has POSSIBLY changed, but it would be quite a surprise if it did in the 13 yrs since I last lived in the area.

Can't say whether their art instruction is the best, considering my focus was in music and I had to choose- Furman was my place of choice for study- but it wasn't their collection that influenced the politics and society of the city...

Anyway, thanks for the info...

I believe that C-3 zoning was in part created to appease Bob Jones and the other conservative leaners of the county. If you have never been to a county council or zoning meeting, then you may not know how much they push for this particular new zoning classification.

Basically it is nearly identical to C-2, without the ability to sell alcohol.

Speaking of alcohol :blush: What specifically are the laws there? I remember the first time I was in a SC bar/restaurant, a mixed drink was something like $18 due to the little airplane bottles they used. I had never actually bought anything from a liquor store though. Do you have to drive to a bordering state to get a real bottle of booze? Can you buy alcohol in a grocery store or convenience store in SC?

They just voted away the mini bottle, but it hasn't been replaced becuase they are still writing the laws to govern the big bottles.

The hard stuff is bought from a Liquer store, of wich their are plenty.

Wine is the hardest stuff you can buy at a grocery, convience store or gas station.

Now they just need to overturn the law that says that makes beer over 6% alcohol illegal.

Here in Colorado, the only thing you can buy in a grocery or convenience store is 3.2% beer. No wine, no alcohol. Liquor stores are closed on Sundays, but you can still buy the 3.2 beer at the grocery store, although I believe that a few rural counties may have some differences.

Montana was the same except you could buy the real beer at the convenience stores, at least when I lived there.

Arizona allows all alcohol sales at grocery and convenience stores 7 days, which was good while I was in college.

In Nevada, at least certain counties, liquor in the front, poker in the (well, that probably costs extra)

I've heard Louisiana has some rather odd laws.

Archived