Considering Relocating to Greenville.

Falloutboy

Here in Colorado, the only thing you can buy in a grocery or convenience store is 3.2% beer.  No wine, no alcohol.  Liquor stores are closed on Sundays, but you can still buy the 3.2 beer at the grocery store, although I believe that a few rural counties may have some differences.

Montana was the same except you could buy the real beer at the convenience stores, at least when I lived there. 

Arizona allows all alcohol sales at grocery and convenience stores 7 days, which was good while I was in college.

In Nevada, at least certain counties, liquor in the front, poker in the (well, that probably costs extra)

I've heard Louisiana has some rather odd laws.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Louisiana used to be "anything goes" with it's alcohol sales. I remember going through drive through "Beer Barns" and drive through Daiquiri shops. I think they've tightened up a bit.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of alcohol, beer is cheaper in Greenville than anywhere else I have lived. I have been buying Becks and Newcastle for about 11 bucks a 12 pack. It is a great cost of living savings that I never factored before making the move. :lol:

Of Course! Were just the only state that sells the mini bottle (I think we still sell them).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One can purchase drinks in a restaurant on Sundays, right? I thought I was told that it had changed, but may be confusing that with somewhere else.

Also, I think you can't purchase hard liquor past 7pm... I know that was the rule back in undergrad in Rock Hill, so we would drive to Charlotte if it was past that time...

One can purchase drinks in a restaurant on Sundays, right?  I thought I was told that it had changed, but may be confusing that with somewhere else.

Also, I think you can't purchase hard liquor past 7pm...  I know that was the rule back in undergrad in Rock Hill, so we would drive to Charlotte if it was past that time...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could be wrong, but as I understand it (keep in mind, I don't drink very often), you can purchase alcoholic beverages in restaurants in Greenville County on Sunday; however, you cannot purchase alcoholic beverages in restaurants within Greenville City Limits on Sunday.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong and it's the other way around.

In SC, you can buy liquor (anything alcohol but beer and wine) in a liquor store. These are privately owned stores and are not allowed to sell beer and wine. There is no limit on the percentage or proof of the alcohol.

Beer and wine can be purchased statewide in most grocery, convenience and drug stores.

As mentioned above, drinks in bars are still served from mini-bottles but that has been voted out. The advantage to this method is you know you are getting what you paid for. The disadvantage is it makes a powerful drink as a mini-bottle holds more than one shot.

Except for a few places that have approved it locally there are no alcohol sales in SC on Sunday.

Beer and wine can be purchased statewide in most grocery, convenience and drug stores. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I forgot that one could purchase beer in the drug store... haven't seen that here in ATL, but then again, I would much rather go to Green's instead of CVS...

What about specialty beers?

As mentioned above, drinks in bars are still served from mini-bottles but that has been voted out.  The advantage to this method is you know you are getting what you paid for.  The disadvantage is it makes a powerful drink as a mini-bottle holds more than one shot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep - the mini's pack quite the kick... Rarely see them anywhere here except the liquor stores...

Has it been decided when they're phasing them out???

One can purchase drinks in a restaurant on Sundays, right?  I thought I was told that it had changed, but may be confusing that with somewhere else.

Also, I think you can't purchase hard liquor past 7pm...  I know that was the rule back in undergrad in Rock Hill, so we would drive to Charlotte if it was past that time...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could be wrong, but as I understand it (keep in mind, I don't drink very often), you can purchase alcoholic beverages in restaurants in Greenville County on Sunday; however, you cannot purchase alcoholic beverages in restaurants within Greenville City Limits on Sunday.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It varies from county to county. In Spartanburg County you can't sell alcohol at all on sundays. In the City you can sell it in restaurants if you purhase the $300/year license. This has been one of the reasons restaurants are starting to locate downtown.

I seem to recall the opposite for Greenville, which is as you stated.

In SC, you can  buy liquor (anything alcohol  but beer and wine) in a liquor store.  These are privately owned stores and are not allowed to sell beer and wine.  There is no limit on the percentage or proof of the alcohol. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know of several liquor stores that sell wines. Are you sure about this? Specifically chapagne. Maybe that is not considered wine though.

My thought is that it has to do with volume. If you are a huge place like Green's, then you have to have them separated.

The whole thing is stupid to me. I don't see why you can't have it all in one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually you have it backwarsds, you can not buy alcohol on Sunday's in Greenvile County, In Greenville City limits Restaurants and Events places like bilo center and Peace Center can sell on Sundays

In SC, you can  buy liquor (anything alcohol  but beer and wine) in a liquor store.  These are privately owned stores and are not allowed to sell beer and wine.  There is no limit on the percentage or proof of the alcohol. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most liquer stores get around the no beer and wine sales by haveing two seperate stores withine one building. A liquer store attached to a wine and beer store. So essentially it is one store you just have to check out twice.

I seem to recall the opposite for Greenville, sis as you stated.

I know of several liquor stores that sell wines. Are you sure about this? Specifically chapagne. Maybe that is not considered wine though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you look closely at these , you will find these stores are really two stores. The alcohol and the beer and wine parts have to be separated with separate entrances. The reason for this is that liquor stores have specific times they must be closed that don't apply to beer & wine sales. Plus the licensing is different.

If you look closely at these , you will find these stores are really two stores.  The alcohol and the beer and wine parts have to be separated with separate entrances.  The reason for this is that liquor stores have specific times they must be closed that don't apply to beer & wine sales.  Plus the licensing is different.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know about these. I mentioned Green's separation in my earlier post.

I know of a store that sells (or sold) both. It could have been because it was New Years and they had some sort of special thing going on though.

What is the reasoning behind being able to buy alcohol in a restaurant, but not in a grocery store / liquor store on Sunday?  A drink, is a drink, is a drink.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tourism dollars impact restaurant sales more than grocery store/liquor stores sales. Allowing restaurants to serve liquor captures more tourist revenue.

• 2 weeks later...

You should definitely consider Greenville (Be glad you didn't get here in 1976, like I did.) Greenville is getting better all the time! Heck, I remember the days when we used to *have* to drive to Charlotte and Atlanta for "good" shopping.

I, too, dislike the sprawl and the hyper-conservative attitudes espoused by some ... especially after having lived in Durham (NC) for a few years... which is EXACTLY WHY we need folks who are creative about growth and culturally open-minded to move here. :)

...  but JL Mann is a great inner city high school- They received the red carpet school award and are usually above the state averages for test scores and has received excellent for the past several years on their school report card!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you perhaps mean Greenville High School? Mann isn't an "inner city" school... it's near the I-85/Laurens Rd./Verdae interchange. My kid sis graduated from there.

Bob Jones doesn't seem to really be a factor at all in Greenville.  Seems the only people concerned with BJU are people who don't live here.  For people here it seems to be a joke.  When I moved here, some friends in Atlanta were concerned about the whole Bob Jones thing.....it just isn't an issue here.  Out of sight, out of mind...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where I've found the Bob Jones influence to be most problematic is in the area of local politics - they permeate County government. (It's one thing to hold a certain set of beliefs yourself, another thing entirely to use the government to force others to follow your beliefs.) But the balance of power shifted somewhat back toward moderation at the time of the last County Council election (2004).

Do you perhaps mean Greenville High School? Mann isn't an "inner city" school... it's near the I-85/Laurens Rd./Verdae interchange. My kid sis graduated from there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mann is an inner-city school. It's not in downtown, but a school had to be an inner city school to become a magnet school... It's in the city limits... what's not inner CITY about that? I went there thank you very much!

Hi Folks,

I'm new to the site and first I want to say that I enjoyed reading these posts very much. I grew up in Spartanburg and moved to Greenville after college, and I was proud to see the friendliness and intelligence expressed on these boards. Ain't no place like home. :)

I have a relocation dilemma of my own and was hoping to get some advice. I work at Pelham and 85 and my boyfriend works in downtown Anderson. We're tired of being so far apart but neither of us is currently in a position to leave our jobs.

Are there any nice areas between Greenville and Anderson where one or both of us could live and easily get to work each morning? I'm looking for a suburban apartment, relatively upscale, near shopping centers and restaurants.

Any advice?

Thanks,

S.

What is the reasoning behind being able to buy alcohol in a restaurant, but not in a grocery store / liquor store on Sunday?  A drink, is a drink, is a drink.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because Jesus doesn't mind if you drink at a restaurant on Sunday, but He'd be really angry if you drank that same beer at home?

I have no idea. I have always thought this a bit strange. :blink:

Archived