Considering Relocating to Greenville.

Falloutboy

Hi Folks,

I'm new to the site and first I want to say that I enjoyed reading these posts very much.  I grew up in Spartanburg and moved to Greenville after college, and I was proud to see the friendliness and intelligence expressed on these boards.  Ain't no place like home.  :)

I have a relocation dilemma of my own and was hoping to get some advice.  I work at Pelham and 85 and my boyfriend works in downtown Anderson.  We're tired of being so far apart but neither of us is currently in a position to leave our jobs.

Are there any nice areas between Greenville and Anderson where one or both of us could live and easily get to work each morning?  I'm looking for a suburban apartment, relatively upscale, near shopping centers and restaurants.

Any advice?

Thanks,

S.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Check out www.acadiasc.com

Acadia would be worth looking in to or something else in the Powdersville Area.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Powdersville would be my choice as well. You probably won't find any really upscale apartments, but I know a few people living in 'Heritage Trace' just off of Hwy 153 right in the middle of town and it doesn't seem to be too bad. It's an apartment, so you'll have to expect what you get living in one. ^_^ Two of my friends living there are RNs at GHS and another is a librarian at the Hughes Main Library in downtown Greenville. They are all single young ladies and I've noticed many others living there as well. :)

Powdersville would be best as far as commute times also. I've never known a better place to get to everywhere else in the Upstate from. :thumbsup:

• 5 months later...

The State newspaper actually has an article about BJU that may be of interest to you: Bob Jones University: Kinder, gentler philosophy emerges

Thank God for BJU. Perhaps it's presence has spared Greenville from the majesty of Pervert Parades and the glories of the tattoo/piercing culture. BJU also has one of the best collections of mid-century deco style buildings anywhere in the country.

• 2 months later...

This somewhat fits into this topic.

Out of the blue the other day, I received an e-mail from a fellow alumna of the University of Florida through the UFAA Network. She and her husband are both MD's and currently live and work in Salt Lake City, UT.

They're considering relocating to Greenville and have been here a couple of times to visit; however, their perception was that Greenville was simply too good to be true. Considering that their perception may possibly have been skewed by their prospective employer(s), she decided to reach out and get a non-biased opinion.

Well, needless to say, I gave her my opinion however biased it may actually be: I LOVE GREENVILLE!

I just find it very cool how the universe works sometimes. :lol:

This somewhat fits into this topic.

Out of the blue the other day, I received an e-mail from a fellow alumna of the University of Florida through the UFAA Network. She and her husband are both MD's and currently live and work in Salt Lake City, UT.

They're considering relocating to Greenville and have been here a couple of times to visit; however, their perception was that Greenville was simply too good to be true. Considering that their perception may possibly have been skewed by their prospective employer(s), she decided to reach out and get a non-biased opinion.

Well, needless to say, I gave her my opinion however biased it may actually be: I LOVE GREENVILLE!

I just find it very cool how the universe works sometimes. :lol:

Tell her I second that!!!!

Did you point her to this web site? (like I have to ask :rofl: )

The Greenville News had a article a couple years back about an ex-mayor of Salt Lake City that now lives in Greenville. That would be a excellent reference for them!

You might want to give the Gville News a call and see if their reference librarian can find that article. If you can get the woman's name, you could probably find her in the phone book or something.

They're considering relocating to Greenville and have been here a couple of times to visit; however, their perception was that Greenville was simply too good to be true.

I've had friends that moved here under this same impression....can it really be true? I love it when they get and realize that it is all true!!!! :D

On the same topic; I just spoke with the manager of the Woodruff Road Sticky Fingers who moved here recently after living in Columbia for several years. He said that he absolutely loves it here and couldn't stand Columbia. He compares Greenville to Chattanooga, TN. This is a very good comparison in my view. The main dissatisfaction he mentioned about Columbia was that it is far more geared toward 18-21 year olds, not so much young professionals in their 30s and 40s. He loves the vibrancy and multiple options available in Greenville and the Upstate for people of all ages. :D

Well, Columbia IS a college town, so that's to be expected. I don't think the city is any less geared towards "yuppies" than any other city of comparable size with some things going in its favor. But hey, different strokes for different folks. I think all of our major cities are pretty well-rounded, yet tend to draw and cater to specific groups, which isn't a bad thing at all.

I just repeated what he (a former Columbian) said, and many many others share his viewpoint. My viewpoint is similar, though not from the experience of being a former a resident. And I'm not going to say that Columbia doesn't have anything for people in their 30s and 40s, just that Greenville has a wider range of quality events and places to enjoy social and recreational pleasures for all ages. Plus, not too many cities have over 80 restaurants packed into a vibrant, and beautiful downtown that stays awake well into the early morning. It's no wonder so many people decide to move here from other enviable cities all the time. This is the new Greenville we can ALL passionately embrace. :D

Just out of curiosity, which groups do you feel each city caters to?

Greenville gives off more of a family-friendly vibe (similar to Charlotte). Columbia is more of a youthful, energetic city and Charleston (particularly downtown) appeals more to the upper class, but also attracts history buff and coastal enthusiasts. But several of my peers have settled down in each city and are doing quite well for themselves. So in spite of these particular aspects (or maybe because of them), all of our major cities are still quite well-rounded.

I think Greenville gives off a "solid, doing well" kind of vibe. Life is good in Greenville....the quality is there and I think everybody from the 20 year cycling enthusiast, to the 35 year old yup in their Audi, to the retired who golfs all day recognizes that. People drawn to Greenville are those who are looking for "quality" lives.

I just repeated what he (a former Columbian) said, and many many others share his viewpoint. My viewpoint is similar, though not from the experience of being a former a resident. And I'm not going to say that Columbia doesn't have anything for people in their 30s and 40s, just that Greenville has a wider range of quality events and places to enjoy social and recreational pleasures for all ages. Plus, not too many cities have over 80 restaurants packed into a vibrant, and beautiful downtown that stays awake well into the early morning. It's no wonder so many people decide to move here from other enviable cities all the time. This is the new Greenville we can ALL passionately embrace. :D

Well, it's all subjective (when it comes to either city), and those opinions don't detract at all from the many things both cities have to offer. As to whether or not "Greenville has a wider range of quality events and places to enjoy social and recreational pleasures for all ages," that's debatable. Because Columbia is the state capital, it is home to several of South Carolina's performing arts groups. One recent example of Columbia's ability to attract people of various age ranges to certain cultural events was the Alarm Will Sound performance at USC on Jan. 29. The Free Times described the event as one "where hip twentysomethings crammed in with older classical fans to see a cutting-edge ensemble that The New York Times has called 'the future of classical music.' Every seat was filled, as was every aisle." And when it comes to recreational opportunities, I think Columbia's natural amenities are unmatched by few other cities in the nation of comparable size. The Free Times also just ran an article about the great potential of ecotourism in Columbia and the Midlands. Between several parks in and around downtown (Finlay, Veteran's, MLK, Maxcy Gregg, Elmwood), the greenway, the Congaree, Broad, and Saluda rivers, Lake Murray, Dreher Island, and Congaree National Park (which is a designated international biosphere reserve), recreational opportunities abound in the Columbia area. Now this is not saying that Columbia's recreational pleasures are necessarily better than Greenville's, but at the least they are most certainly comparable. Greenville's downtown is certainly enviable in many respects, but it seems that many forget the laudable progress that has occurred in the historic Congaree Vista district over the past several years (the Vista being home to over 45 restaurants and bars and 60 artists

Well, it's all subjective (when it comes to either city), and those opinions don't detract at all from the many things both cities have to offer. As to whether or not "Greenville has a wider range of quality events and places to enjoy social and recreational pleasures for all ages," that's debatable. Because Columbia is the state capital, it is home to several of South Carolina's performing arts groups. One recent example of Columbia's ability to attract people of various age ranges to certain cultural events was the Alarm Will Sound performance at USC on Jan. 29. The Free Times described the event as one "where hip twentysomethings crammed in with older classical fans to see a cutting-edge ensemble that The New York Times has called 'the future of classical music.' Every seat was filled, as was every aisle." And when it comes to recreational opportunities, I think Columbia's natural amenities are unmatched by few other cities in the nation of comparable size. The Free Times also just ran an article about the great potential of ecotourism in Columbia and the Midlands. Between several parks in and around downtown (Finlay, Veteran's, MLK, Maxcy Gregg, Elmwood), the greenway, the Congaree, Broad, and Saluda rivers, Lake Murray, Dreher Island, and Congaree National Park (which is a designated international biosphere reserve), recreational opportunities abound in the Columbia area. Now this is not saying that Columbia's recreational pleasures are necessarily better than Greenville's, but at the least they are most certainly comparable. Greenville's downtown is certainly enviable in many respects, but it seems that many forget the laudable progress that has occurred in the historic Congaree Vista district over the past several years (the Vista being home to over 45 restaurants and bars and 60 artists

I still don't think that would prevent comparisons to other cities; after all, there would be no need to relocate if unsatisfaction with one's former city weren't present, which brings comparisons into the picture. I didn't intend to hijack the thread, but simply provide a more balanced basis of comparison for Columbia and Greenville. I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, and I do sincerely apologize if I offended anyone or made anyone uncomfortable. Greenville's still cool in my book. ;)

Archived