Considering Relocating to Greenville.

Falloutboy

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read this pretty neat little column in the Greenville News and thought you all should as well. Some newcomers to the area think Greenville's slogan should be something like, "Can-Do Capital of the World." I like that one! :thumbsup:

Great article! :thumbsup: OK, here goes my psycho-marketing babble 101.... I think it's very key that this article said Greenville is "human scale". Major marketing buzz word now and in the future.....the desire for "human scale" has spawned the rise of 50 room boutique hotels vs. 600 room mega hotels / walkable lifestyle centers vs. regional sprawling malls / the return of residents to central cities vs. sprawling suburbs / etc, etc. Human scale has much to do with the thought processes that will shape successful cities now and in the future. I LOVE that Greenville is simply about human scale and quality life! :thumbsup:

The Greenville News had a article a couple years back about an ex-mayor of Salt Lake City that now lives in Greenville. That would be a excellent reference for them!

You might want to give the Gville News a call and see if their reference librarian can find that article. If you can get the woman's name, you could probably find her in the phone book or something.

Deedee Corradini has since moved back to Salt Lake City and lives just out of downtown.

Great find, gsupstate! :D

Well that really sums up the Greenville area well for people who don't know much about where everything is located. It scratches the surface on the actual impact being felt by the massive amounts of new development, but then again nothing can truly give you that feeling without experiencing it in person. It is very well-written. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

A good little relocation story:

A couple that are neighbors of my uncle in Dallas are moving to South Carolina. The guy is with a financial services company and can live anywhere in SC, as he will travel throughout SC, Southern GA, and parts of NC. I didn't know my uncle's neighbors, but he told them I live in Greenville. Knowing nothing about SC, they initially chose another SC city based on his travel distances. They are currently in this other city in a temp corp apartment. Last week he came up to Greenville for a couple of days on business and fell in love. Went back and told his wife they were moving to Greenville. Brought her and the kids up this weekend (my uncle gave them my number) and he called and said Greenville is the place! Spent about an hour with him on the phone and gave him the scoop.

Kind of great, one visit to this city and people get hooked. :D

Cool to hear his initial observations too.....he loved the detail of downtown and used "meticulous" and "fastidious" to descibe it. There are a couple more synonyms for your thread Skyliner! :thumbsup:

It couldn't have been Columbia. After all, they are the largest city in SC, with the most open-minded people, the most arts-friendly community, and the capital of our great state. How could anything top that? ;)

Obviously the city of Greenville can very easily top it to many people! I know so many who have lived down there and not liked it at all. When given the choice, all it takes is a weekend in Greenville to shape people's minds about the comparison. That is not to say that Columbia isn't a nice place, just that Greenville has a charm most cities would give a whole lot to have. :D

I love hearing that type of stuff gsupstate!!!! :thumbsup:

I love hearing those things too, and fact is, you hear it ALOT here. Greenville definitely makes a great first impression on people, and the best part is, the first impression holds true once they move here! :thumbsup:

Obviously the city of Greenville can very easily top it to many people! I know so many who have lived down there and not liked it at all. When given the choice, all it takes is a weekend in Greenville to shape people's minds about the comparison. That is not to say that Columbia isn't a nice place, just that Greenville has a charm most cities would give a whole lot to have. :D

Skyliner, my post about Columbia was meant sarcastically. It was mostly in response to the dispute over Greenville claiming to have the most dense city and county, as well a poster from Columbia who tends to come over here and talk like Columbia is a utopia while Greenville is backwards and unprogressive. Sorry if my sarcasm wasn't clear, because I totally agree with you that Greenville is wonderful! :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

A good little relocation story:

A couple that are neighbors of my uncle in Dallas are moving to South Carolina. The guy is with a financial services company and can live anywhere in SC, as he will travel throughout SC, Southern GA, and parts of NC. I didn't know my uncle's neighbors, but he told them I live in Greenville. Knowing nothing about SC, they initially chose another SC city based on his travel distances. They are currently in this other city in a temp corp apartment. Last week he came up to Greenville for a couple of days on business and fell in love. Went back and told his wife they were moving to Greenville. Brought her and the kids up this weekend (my uncle gave them my number) and he called and said Greenville is the place! Spent about an hour with him on the phone and gave him the scoop.

Kind of great, one visit to this city and people get hooked. :D

Cool to hear his initial observations too.....he loved the detail of downtown and used "meticulous" and "fastidious" to descibe it. There are a couple more synonyms for your thread Skyliner! :thumbsup:

Update: This couple moved here. Closed on their house about two weeks ago. Bought a house in the North Main area. Going to dinner with them next Monday night. They said they absolutely LOVE it here.

Knew they would. :D

Consider us all unofficially-certified Greenville Convention and Visitors' Bureau active members. We do as much for the city by talking to people and showing them around town as any salaried individual in an equivalent position could. Don't grow complacent. Our efforts to recruit new residents to Greenville should remain strong. They're sure to payoff in the end most of the time.

That's a great update, gsupstate!

I'm not going to be satisfied until I help convince all of my co-workers from Orlando to move up here. One down, many more to go. OK...so his mom lives in Woodruff, but I helped him with his decision. :lol: Now if only I could convince my own mom to move up here. :rolleyes:

I work from home full time and don't get out much, but every chance I have of showing Greenville off (photos, web sites, etc.) during an Instant Message conversation with someone at work, I do. :thumbsup:

Wonderful story, gsupstate! You guys are great!

For what it's worth, there are many people in my class at MUSC who plan on moving to Greenville after residency. It seems that just about everyone who is from Greenville plans to return, as well as others who are not from Greenville but have fallen in love with the place. I will do my part to continue to promote it, even though I can't do personal tours like you guys can. :)

Thanks guys.

I think Greenville kind of sells itself.....it's an easy sell! :D

Consider us all unofficially-certified Greenville Convention and Visitors' Bureau active members. We do as much for the city by talking to people and showing them around town as any salaried individual in an equivalent position could. Don't grow complacent. Our efforts to recruit new residents to Greenville should remain strong. They're sure to payoff in the end most of the time.

Agreed! :thumbsup:

I work from home full time and don't get out much, but every chance I have of showing Greenville off (photos, web sites, etc.) during an Instant Message conversation with someone at work, I do. :thumbsup:

:D I do that too! I work from home, and once a week, send a photo or news clipping to one of my co-workers who lives in LA. Been trying to get her and her husband to take a vacation to Greenville. I think she's convinced and about to act.

So, do we REALLY want all these folks moving in here? I mean, we know how great the area is, but what about housing price increases, more crowded roads, having to wait more than 30 minutes for a restaurant, etc., etc. ;)

Maybe we can do like Seattle and make up some story about it raining all the time. :whistling:

Bumper sticker seen in Tucson, AZ: Leaving Arizona? Take a friend with you!

How about:

"Greenville gets 38% more rain than Seattle."

This is based on the fact that we get about 50 inches annually, and Seattle gets around 36. I wonder how many people would get it?

Just so we're clear, I like the fact that Greenville is growing, and want it to get larger. :thumbsup:

So, do we REALLY want all these folks moving in here? I mean, we know how great the area is, but what about housing price increases, more crowded roads, having to wait more than 30 minutes for a restaurant, etc., etc. ;)

Maybe we can do like Seattle and make up some story about it raining all the time. :whistling:

Bumper sticker seen in Tucson, AZ: Leaving Arizona? Take a friend with you!

I can't agree with that one, Beowulf. The people are coming for a reason - more than just the attractiveness of the city. Typically what brings new blood to Greenville has been new jobs brought into the market. These new jobs are taking on a different form than those of recent generations. I am thoroughly enjoying these great folks moving here and bringing their infectious enthusiasm. We have at least a few who have become members of UrbanPlanet.org as well. Let them come and let Greenville grow. We have great leaders in this city and I am confident in their ability to properly guide this growth into the future. :shades:

Archived