First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

i kind of think it is for court6, which still has 3 or 4 more floors to be framed, and possibly also for M Street, which is just now beginning framing. they would not likely be delivering wood for a project that hasn't had any utility or foundation work started.

this is true D. Oh well.... A guy can hope. :(

That still does not help me with the ugly church situation though. I think that somebody needs to go up and write a check to the Church and get them out. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the church, just the fact that it is ugly and takes up too much valuable land in center city. I betcha' the church could sell out for a pretty penny for the land they sit on.

A2

A2, either you were under the influence of mind-altering substances when you went by, or we're talking the wrong site. :alc: The First Ward community center is adjacent to the Renwick. Now there may have been some preachin' and healin' done there, but it's not a church.

Are you thinking about the A.M.E Zion Church in the northwest quadrant of McDowell and 7th?

lol. that church (little rock AME) is definitely a generic suburban church from the 70s/80s... It is especially a shame because their original church was done by a renowned architect and is extremely attractive (now the AACC next door at 7th and Myers).

I have thought that furman should work out a deal with both the United House of Prayer and 9th/Davidson and with Little Rock AME at 7th/McDowell to purchase half their large lots. He could then build a parking deck and urban housing on his half, and include enough deck parking for the church to use... and with the proceeds, they could both build a larger urban-designed church that (hopefully) would be more attractive.

Everyone would benefit, i believe.

I might have been off MC. lol. I am talking about that ugly White building sitting accross from the new M Street development. What the hell is that thing. Is that the community center? If so, it is ugly. :P

A2

Is this the building you mean?

00073kg.jpg

That's the Little Rock AME church. BTW Don't be encourgaing that sort of thing! Next thing you know someone will buy it and build a condo development. Jeesh, do you want to block my Uptown view at MStreet? :cry::D (NIMFY)

well, since he hasn't disclosed how many acres will be residential, there is no way to know. I'd suspect he is figuring in some highrises, for much of the extra residential, as that has been proven in the market (ie. the market prefers highrise living to lowrise flats).

i think his original plans had ~5-8 story residential buildings wrapping parking decks on many of the blocks. But obviously you can do much more with your land if you build a building like the vue (which is only 1/4 of the block) vs something like 5th and Poplar (which is over 7/8 of the block). (i'm master of the obvious :) )

I agree with you somewhat, and I wish we could get more of these dense projects without the need for public investment.

However, the city benefits heavily in taxes on the higher value of dense development. I am for some density-driving public investments, such as higher volume utilities, new streets, sidewalks, and parking decks.

In fact, I think there should be a line item in CDOT's budget or a bond referendum dedicated to parking decks. Not only do they spur developments (such as Midtown, Elizabeth Ave, 2nd Ward, and 1st ward), but they help give the city a cut of the parking revenue. Clearly the parking business is LUCRATIVE considering the premium that parking companies pay for uptown land.

I also would like to see a project in Charlote, that does not want us tax payers to fund part of it. If they don't have the money, sell the land to someone who has the money to develop the property.

Why do we have to fund parking lots all over town for private devlopers?

With respect to Uptown development, I think the City should curtail incentives now that things are clearly moving on their own. If I was them, I'd let Levine know that things are on a time line and that he can't get his incentives and the benefit of being last to develop.

At this point I guess anything is news, so here goes. Saw these guys standing in front of the strip mall at 7th and McDowell tonight. They looked like important land people so I took a photo. Maybe if someone recognizes them we could have clue on next steps. Or not.

002610ig.jpg

Cowbell? How about MStreet photos?

7th & McDowell

7thmcdowellpannormal2005100317.jpg

7th looking north

7thtelpolepannormal20051003768.jpg

You may have noticed McDowell in front of MStreet is now one lane going north, except the left turn lane at 8th. The right lane will be on-street parking. They've dug up the old sidewalk. They've also dug out space for the islands (or are these jettys???) in front of the sidewalk at the street corners. Note the cones and the dirt pile that will be a jetty here at 8th & McDowell:

000519005go.jpg

I am so amazed at how much is happening in Charlotte and especially Uptown and surrounding. I think the next 5 years are going to see more development then the last 10 put together. When all of these projects come to be reality in uptown...well, Im basically at a loss for words.

I think Charlotte is going to start garnering more national attention as well. With all of the "smart growth" taking place, I think Charlotte may become the model city. In my opinion of course....lol

At the 1st Ward community association meeting tonight, association president Sandy Hoagland told us 2 development tidbits:

1. Bobby Drakeford is developing single family homes on the 8th St. site, instead of condos (#29 on the list above).

2. David Furman is designing the expansion of the Afro American Cultural Center on 7th. This is not funded yet, but we should add it as proposed as we have done with the Bechtler Museum, no?

Both Drakeford and Furman are scheduled to speak about these projects at the Nov. 1st Ward meeting. Furman will supposedly share his design.