First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

17 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

The renderings show 10th going under the Blue line... is this factual?  

Based on topography to the west of the BLE and the very short distance from the 9th street station it seems -HIGHLY- unlikely.

On 5/14/2016 at 4:01 PM, kermit said:

I spy with my little eye....

A tower crane base at Levine's 10th street apts!

I was too giddy with excitement to think to take a photo, but I was down that way twice today and I swear that they've got a complete crane set up.  

• 3 weeks later...

There is some site work being done on the block just east of First Ward Park (block bounded by 7th/8th/Brevard/Caldwell - site rumored to be a hotel, I think).  There is a small bulldozer clearing off the grass and weeds that were left after this block was graded at the time the park was constructed.  Any thoughts as to whether this is in advance of potential construction at that site?  Seems like useless effort otherwise.

3 minutes ago, swh1972 said:

There is some site work being done on the block just east of First Ward Park (block bounded by 7th/8th/Brevard/Caldwell - site rumored to be a hotel, I think).  There is a small bulldozer clearing off the grass and weeds that were left after this block was graded at the time the park was constructed.  Any thoughts as to whether this is in advance of potential construction at that site?  Seems like useless effort otherwise.

I mean there was a GC selected and a letter of intent signed. Theoretically the project is on. I just won't consider it a thing until we see a rendering.

32 minutes ago, swh1972 said:

I just did a little research, and it appears that this is only to prepare the site for a Wiffle-Ball Tournament on June 24th. 

http://mecktimes.com/news/2016/06/03/levine-hosts-wiffle-ball-tournament/

I suppose we can consider this a swing and a miss on my part...

I'm sure headlines will read "Levine Brings Baseball to First Ward" on Charlottestories.com

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, CLT704 said:

Whilst Google has done a good job at renovating the building, I can't help but thinks its a bit of a waste. I think it should have been used as a brewery or retail space or something along those lines. 

Yeah, in many cities with a large stock of these type of buildings it wouldn't bother me one bit, but we only have a small handful of older buildings with the potential this one had.

I say give it some years. Would Google really keep a brick and mortar store that long? Unless we're seeing the beginning of a new brand.

... Could this be a future Apple-style store we're seeing open? Oh... that still seems like a waste.

Though it kind of fits the vibe that Levine has seemed to accumulate over the years: Doing stuff to further the PRESTIGE of it all.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

The restored building is beautiful.  Levine says he'd like to renovate and put a restaurant in the old house across the street from the park (I know, I know...).  Since this building isn't just adjacent to the park but part of it, perhaps a brewery isn't the best use?  My opinion is the park and this building should be accessible by all ages whenever it's open.  I don't necessarily think a retail space would be a great use either.  I have no idea what Google will use the building for but I think they should be lauded for what they've done thus far.      

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I say give it some years. Would Google really keep a brick and mortar store that long? Unless we're seeing the beginning of a new brand.

... Could this be a future Apple-style store we're seeing open? Oh... that still seems like a waste.

Though it kind of fits the vibe that Levine has seemed to accumulate over the years: Doing stuff to further the PRESTIGE of it all.

They still have the 'Fiber Space' open in KC and it's been a couple of years there.  

I think this location will be open for a while.  It's a prime location near a transit center and has parking.  I think as long as Time Warner is still saying you don't need internet that fast, this will remain open.  While it's somewhat true...so is not needing a new iPhone every 2 years but just ask Apple how that goes.  

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking of the Levine apartments, I got some shots of them from the parking lot of the Hal Marshall center, along with closer shots of the painting on the 11th St bridge columns:

20160804_192346.png

20160804_192150.png

In the distance is 9th St station:

20160804_192456.png

Funny how these mobile offices are re-used:

20160804_192608.png

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 4