First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

4 hours ago, mpretori said:

Now that the uptown campus is linked to the main campus via light-rail, would not surprise me to see more uptown uncc development in the long term. Master-plan for the main campus is nearly complete. 

Buying land in the university area to expand campus would be cheaper and more practical than buying land in Uptown. I could see the school buying the land at N. Tryon and Mallard Creek Church that Lincoln Harris once had plans to develop before expanding beyond graduate programs in Uptown.

There is also a fair amount of wooded land out near WT Harris that falls outside the flood plain. I imagine they'd incorporate that into a new master plan before going Uptown as well.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Niner National said:

Buying land in the university area to expand campus would be cheaper and more practical than buying land in Uptown. I could see the school buying the land at N. Tryon and Mallard Creek Church that Lincoln Harris once had plans to develop before expanding beyond graduate programs in Uptown.

There is also a fair amount of wooded land out near WT Harris that falls outside the flood plain. I imagine they'd incorporate that into a new master plan before going Uptown as well.

I think that's also possible. I see college of engineering expand into the remaining parcels near the football field. College of education expanding into remaining areas near the union. This leaves earth sciences and business. Before i graduated, my professors in Burson were talking about building renovations for there building. Friday next door was recently renovated. I think earth sciences grows into Friday and Business grows into uptown. This would require another midsized building. with BOA and Wells possibly consolidating into uptown, it would be a prime spot to move Business into. The rail would be the perfect transport between classes. 

^ you can't really move any undergrad programs uptown because students have to get to gen ed classes in addition to their majors, and even with the LRT you cant get between a uptown classroom and an UC classroom in the 15 minutes that are allocated between each class period. While its tempting to assume that students can leave a gap in their schedule, the administration won't allow any schedule changes (or location shifts) that might 'extend time to degree.'  Consuming a viable class period with travel between campuses would make it tougher for students to get the classes they need.

Grad programs in business (which seems to have hit an enrollment ceiling) and urban design (which is small) are already in uptown. Engineering and hard science grad programs generally need the lab space that is only available at UC (and often shared with undergrad classes).  Computing programs have little interest in uptown. Ph.D programs are space intensive and almost always require lots of interaction with faculty and other students who are in UC. There might be a couple of professionally-oriented grad programs like Public Admin that could move uptown but the faculty who teach in those almost always need to teach UG classes (on campus) as well, so faculty are reluctant to encourage a move uptown.

IMO the only academic programs that could go to uptown might be a new law school or some as yet unknown new professional masters degrees that might be created. Also look for offices like the Urban Institute, the Ben Craig Center and possibly the Foundation (handles charitable giving) to shift. Overall, without a surprising decision about a new law school,  I don't see a huge surge in demand for more uptown space from UNCC.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mpretori said:

I think that's also possible. I see college of engineering expand into the remaining parcels near the football field. College of education expanding into remaining areas near the union. This leaves earth sciences and business. Before i graduated, my professors in Burson were talking about building renovations for there building. Friday next door was recently renovated. I think earth sciences grows into Friday and Business grows into uptown. This would require another midsized building. with BOA and Wells possibly consolidating into uptown, it would be a prime spot to move Business into. The rail would be the perfect transport between classes. 

There are several more buildings planned for the areas around the football field, so definitely possible. The parcels around the Union are mostly accounted for though. The parcel at the bottom of the hill where a parking lot currently resides, the school will build a new student rec center because UNC Charlotte has like 1/4 the student rec space per student as other universities in NC. UNC Charlotte has probably nearly doubled in size since the last time student rec space was added.

Towards the top of the hill, a science building will replace the boiler plant with the smokestack.

There are a lot of surface lots up towards John Kirk that can be redeveloped into classroom space.

The University owns land across from the south entrance on 49. It used to be a strip mall for medical professionals, but it is now used for administrative purposes for the university I think, including alumni affairs. This could always be turned into something else as well.

The old buildings that surround the quad where the Belk tower used to be will likely be torn down and redeveloped at some point in the future. Those take up a pretty large foot print, but they're only two floors. A new building could very easily double or triple the classroom space currently occupying that area.

The Belk Business School building can actually have another floor or two added on top of it, so if that expands, they don't necessarily need a new building.

The school will eventually have a space issue, but I don't think they're quite there yet. With proper planning, they can probably increase classroom space at least 50% on campus. I do see an expansion in Uptown though, but it will be for professional programs. As kermit mentioned, undergrad won't happen in uptown because students need to have the ability to get from one location to the other between classes and you can't get from campus to uptown in 15 minutes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Niner National said:

The old buildings that surround the quad where the Belk tower used to be will likely be torn down and redeveloped at some point in the future. Those take up a pretty large foot print, but they're only two floors. A new building could very easily double or triple the classroom space currently occupying that area.

These are actually in the process of being renovated (new exterior facades/interior upfit).

From CBJ:

A prime block in uptown Charlotte was sold late Wednesday to a residential developer for $23 million, with a significant mixed-use project to eventually rise on the site.

A total of seven parcels generally bounded by the Lynx Blue Line extension and East Eighth, North College and East Ninth Streets were acquired by LMC Block 42 Holdings LLC, affiliated with national homebuilder Lennar (NYSE: LEN), according to Mecklenburg County real estate records. The parcels were sold by Ninth Street Investors LLC, an entity affiliated with Levine Properties.

Lennar is planning a mixed-use project that will be built in phases, said Jeff Harris, Carolinas division president of LMC, Lennar's multifamily division. The firm is still working on specifics but the first phase, which would tentatively start in the fourth quarter of this year, would include a mid-rise and a high-rise building, Harris said — the mid-rise building would likely be five floors of apartments above ground-floor retail (with 18- to 20-foot ceilings) and the high-rise, expected to be around 30 floors, would also contain apartments and street-level retail. Harris declined specifics on the number of units or amount of retail planned.

The second phase, at the intersection of Eighth and College, is very preliminary but could include more multifamily or a commercial component, such as an office building or a hotel, Harris said.

The site will have frontage on the Lynx Blue Line buildout that's on track to open this summer, a key reason why Lennar invested in the site. It's also close to First Ward Park, which opened in late 2015.

"Both First and Fourth wards are your more historically residential neighborhoods of uptown," Harris said. "We’re excited about the North Tryon Vision Plan and things that will potentially happen, and additional development Levine Properties has in mind. A lot of things are moving in the right direction."

The North Tryon Vision & Implementation Plan is an effort to reimagine and plan for how land on North Tryon Street and the surrounding area gets developed. Some projects, including SkyHouse Uptown and 10 Tryon, have triggered early momentum, but that energy is expected to continue as the light-rail draws nearer to completion and opens later this year.

Harris said that area master-planning by Levine Properties, which owns several parcels in First Ward, will activate that part of uptown, including a planned "market street" along the light rail from Ninth Street to the 7th Street Public Market.

"(It) will allow things like Food Truck Fridays or farmers markets or flower markets," Harris said. "From the standpoint of the urban environment and activating First Ward Park, that is a really thoughtful design element that (Levine Properties President Daniel Levine) came up with, and I think it’s going to be a real asset to the city."

To accommodate the market street, Harris said the retail portion of Lennar'sproject will include outdoor dining and plazas.

The Goodyear Arts building at 516 N. College St., included in Wednesday's purchase, will eventually be demolished, Harris said, indicating LMC is working with the group to "facilitate a smooth transition" to a permanent home.

Justin GoodRyan ClutterAlan Lynch and Travis Anderson at HFF Carolinasmarketed the property on behalf of the seller.

Outside of uptown, LMC is developing an apartment project with 26,000 square feet of ground-floor retail in South End, at the former Pepsi Bottling site.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Does Lennar have any kind of multifamiliy experience? I can only think of suburban developments associated with them.

Considering this a win for the time being.

They actually have a half dozen or so high rises under development currently. Including this one in San Diego20150418_520_w_ash_rendering_005.jpg

33 minutes ago, DMann said:

From CBJ:

A prime block in uptown Charlotte was sold late Wednesday to a residential developer for $23 million, with a significant mixed-use project to eventually rise on the site.

A total of seven parcels generally bounded by the Lynx Blue Line extension and East Eighth, North College and East Ninth Streets were acquired by LMC Block 42 Holdings LLC, affiliated with national homebuilder Lennar (NYSE: LEN), according to Mecklenburg County real estate records. The parcels were sold by Ninth Street Investors LLC, an entity affiliated with Levine Properties.

Lennar is planning a mixed-use project that will be built in phases, said Jeff Harris, Carolinas division president of LMC, Lennar's multifamily division. The firm is still working on specifics but the first phase, which would tentatively start in the fourth quarter of this year, would include a mid-rise and a high-rise building, Harris said — the mid-rise building would likely be five floors of apartments above ground-floor retail (with 18- to 20-foot ceilings) and the high-rise, expected to be around 30 floors, would also contain apartments and street-level retail. Harris declined specifics on the number of units or amount of retail planned.

The second phase, at the intersection of Eighth and College, is very preliminary but could include more multifamily or a commercial component, such as an office building or a hotel, Harris said.

The site will have frontage on the Lynx Blue Line buildout that's on track to open this summer, a key reason why Lennar invested in the site. It's also close to First Ward Park, which opened in late 2015.

"Both First and Fourth wards are your more historically residential neighborhoods of uptown," Harris said. "We’re excited about the North Tryon Vision Plan and things that will potentially happen, and additional development Levine Properties has in mind. A lot of things are moving in the right direction."

The North Tryon Vision & Implementation Plan is an effort to reimagine and plan for how land on North Tryon Street and the surrounding area gets developed. Some projects, including SkyHouse Uptown and 10 Tryon, have triggered early momentum, but that energy is expected to continue as the light-rail draws nearer to completion and opens later this year.

Harris said that area master-planning by Levine Properties, which owns several parcels in First Ward, will activate that part of uptown, including a planned "market street" along the light rail from Ninth Street to the 7th Street Public Market.

"(It) will allow things like Food Truck Fridays or farmers markets or flower markets," Harris said. "From the standpoint of the urban environment and activating First Ward Park, that is a really thoughtful design element that (Levine Properties President Daniel Levine) came up with, and I think it’s going to be a real asset to the city."

To accommodate the market street, Harris said the retail portion of Lennar'sproject will include outdoor dining and plazas.

The Goodyear Arts building at 516 N. College St., included in Wednesday's purchase, will eventually be demolished, Harris said, indicating LMC is working with the group to "facilitate a smooth transition" to a permanent home.

Justin GoodRyan ClutterAlan Lynch and Travis Anderson at HFF Carolinasmarketed the property on behalf of the seller.

Outside of uptown, LMC is developing an apartment project with 26,000 square feet of ground-floor retail in South End, at the former Pepsi Bottling site.

This has been a long time coming, glad its public. I'm hoping the Tower fronts 8th, and the midrise fronts 9th. A thirty floor tower fronting 8th will help balance out the gap between 525 N. Tryon and Hearst, where as one on 9th will further separate it. There are developments under consideration on the blocks between 6th and 7th and 7th and 8th, so that gap should slowly close. 

I'm curious to see how this is phased. I would think park frontage makes the most sense for residential. 

39 minutes ago, NYCLT said:

How about the land between 7th and 8th - there's the church but also the surface lots and radio tower.. who owns that?

I think that lot is active in discussions with a developer for sale. Its owned by Daniel. 

28 minutes ago, DMann said:

This is going to force Tina to move from her homeless site on 8th Street near the rail line.  She has been there for about 4 years or so.  She is waiting for God to send her a husband!

LOL! Its great that characters have continued Chilly Willys legacy of being extremely memorable 

Edited by Guest

Lennar did those apartments right by Target at Metropolitan and that vitamin shoppe. This is great news a new high rise apartment tower and low rise aka like Northwood Ravin and Crescents projects. Allows a variety of price points. Plus I am glad Levine sold it as they are slow to develop. Lennar is the 1st or 2nd largest homebuilder in the country depending on how you rank it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kermit said:

you guys must be really charming. She has always been downright hostile to me every time I say hello as I bike past.

I don't remember exactly what she said now, but she once got mad at me for walking across her crushed up potato chips on the ground on a rainy day.

I apologized and she told me it was alright because Jesus would forgive me.

3 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

This has been a long time coming, glad its public. I'm hoping the Tower fronts 8th, and the midrise fronts 9th. A thirty floor tower fronting 8th will help balance out the gap between 525 N. Tryon and Hearst, where as one on 9th will further separate it. There are developments under consideration on the blocks between 6th and 7th and 7th and 8th, so that gap should slowly close. 

I'm curious to see how this is phased. I would think park frontage makes the most sense for residential. 

Any idea on time frame? Some of these last residential projects were pretty fast (Ascent/Mint seemed like they announced and got to work pretty fast) 

2 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Any idea on time frame? Some of these last residential projects were pretty fast (Ascent/Mint seemed like they announced and got to work pretty fast) 

Lennar went under contract in July, and closed on the Pepsi site September 16th, started demo in October. So if we use that as a barometer... Maybe we could see construction by 3rd quarter 2017? Honestly, I don't know enough to make a definitive call. Its interesting to note the Goodyear arts building is on this land... LOL

Is anyone else starting to feel like we are sneaking up on a bubble? I realize that this cycle has been fairly well mixed in regards to uses, but I can't help but feel that the list of uptown/southend projects waiting in the wings has gotten pretty damn long. I'm thinking we'll be lucky to see half of what has been announced get off the ground anytime soon. Really hope I'm wrong though.