First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

I believe that before they install "ped Xings,"  extensive retraining must be accomplished to make it a strict law that cars stop once a person steps on the marked ped xings. The one thing that I will say about the Charlotte area is that there is no concept of pedestrians having any right of way even where they have the pedestrian "go" lights. It is very scary. Drivers simply do not respect those that walk even when they have the right of way. I think there is a real need for crossings around town including the Publix on South Boulevard and  new structures where there is heavy foot traffic.  I apologize, I should have posted this under a separate topic elsewhere probably. I tired to delete but it didn't work.

Edited by caterpillar2

Most drivers have no concept of "right of way" in general, not just about bikes and pedestrians.      They don't even like the fact that other cars got to the road before they did and they're all stuck in traffic as though it is the other drivers' fault for doing the exact same thing they did, just moments before.  

On 5/12/2017 at 4:31 PM, JRNYP2C said:

I'm going to take a stab and say somewhere in the ballpark of 2025.  That would fall in line with everything else that Levine drags along.....

This is infuriating but absolutely likely.   He always has wanted just the parking and nothing else, but he was contractually obligated to build the parking, so this predictable stall on the apartments seems orchestrated and planned.    

Levine has a way of making nothing happen. 

Can we theorize on real, likely reasons in Levine's head as to why he takes so long on everything?

Is it possible that, to a fault, he is obsessed with the idea of the gradual "incremental" approach as the best way to assure a more perfect final result in First Ward?

I have to believe that he's not just lazy, apathetic, or stupid. If his family has a large business presence, surely there's a long game...

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Can we theorize on real, likely reasons in Levine's head as to why he takes so long on everything?

Is it possible that, to a fault, he is obsessed with the idea of the gradual "incremental" approach as the best way to assure a more perfect final result in First Ward?

I have to believe that he's not just lazy, apathetic, or stupid. If his family has a large business presence, surely there's a long game...

I would very much like to agree with this sentiment, because I don't like to think of people as lazy, apathetic or stupid in general.  But wouldn't one want to NOT do business with someone that is consistently dragging their feet on projects such as this?  Holding out for more money is only going to go so far until the other party dealing with him walks away.  

11 hours ago, caterpillar2 said:

I believe that before they install "ped Xings,"  extensive retraining must be accomplished to make it a strict law that cars stop once a person steps on the marked ped xings. The one thing that I will say about the Charlotte area is that there is no concept of pedestrians having any right of way even where they have the pedestrian "go" lights. It is very scary. Drivers simply do not respect those that walk even when they have the right of way. I think there is a real need for crossings around town including the Publix on South Boulevard and  new structures where there is heavy foot traffic.  I apologize, I should have posted this under a separate topic elsewhere probably. I tired to delete but it didn't work.

I don't know if or how it would work in a city type of environment, but on part of the Carolina Thread Trail in King's Mountain State Park, there are three road crossings where walkers/hikers/bikers can press a button on a light that is strobe in its effect to alert coming cars that there are people crossing.  Keep in mind that this area where these are located are on hills and curves.  Level, straight streets in an urban setting may be a totally different story.  However, the concept would still work in general.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JRNYP2C said:

I would very much like to agree with this sentiment, because I don't like to think of people as lazy, apathetic or stupid in general.  But wouldn't one want to NOT do business with someone that is consistently dragging their feet on projects such as this?  Holding out for more money is only going to go so far until the other party dealing with him walks away.  

I'm with you 100 percent. Seems as if he is behind the Carolina Theater redoing thing. You know, five years waiting. 

12 hours ago, JRNYP2C said:

I don't know if or how it would work in a city type of environment, but on part of the Carolina Thread Trail in King's Mountain State Park, there are three road crossings where walkers/hikers/bikers can press a button on a light that is strobe in its effect to alert coming cars that there are people crossing.  Keep in mind that this area where these are located are on hills and curves.  Level, straight streets in an urban setting may be a totally different story.  However, the concept would still work in general.

My only issue is that people generally don't think "pedestrian" in the Charlotte ares.   I put my life on the line ever day crossing the street while having the pedestrian "go" light. The press button that your speak of is a much better way to go. I lived in London too long and expect people to stop their cars as soon as I step of the curb onto the ped xing., I even noticed that when I was in Boston a few weeks ago, everyone stops for pedestrians and especially at crossings. I don't like to compare anything up north as being better since I have listened to that BS all my life, but I give them credit, they do watch out for pedestrians. Maybe if the law is heavily publicized that vehicles "must" stop at crossings, people will eventually listen. I don't blame Charlotteans as we are not a huge part of the population. We have lots of people from many places and some look out for pedestrians but more don't. Maybe as we become more of a pedestrian city, we will see improvements. 

• 3 weeks later...

The Levine huge 1300 space parking garage opening soon (we hope). 2nd photo window washers on side of 1 BAC tower. Last  photo is Stanly County no a vacant full city block controlled by Levine in First Ward. They should at least plant some corn and other veggies on it since it may not be developed for years. A community garden leased out to fine uptown restaurants and local residents. 

DSCN2307.JPG

DSCN2310.JPG

DSCN2311.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Did y'all notice the kid in the wheel chair, gazing, eyes full of tears, as he stares down the metal monster that stole away his ability to walk. e654a7092541c48a696000a8ca4ef051.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, AP3 said:

Not a lot of movement on Levine's parking deck. a6bc8381d1761eb2df334eb8b867d35c.jpg64d2701fe7b61269a679f94f20b0e0bd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really a bad sign that there is a 4.5 ft tall concrete wall facing the light rail. So much for that retail redesign.

13 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Really a bad sign that there is a 4.5 ft tall concrete wall facing the light rail. So much for that retail redesign.

The initial approved plans had walk up apartments on the light rail, so I'm not sure if that's what he is redesigning or if he his redesigning the 10th Street side.

9 minutes ago, AP3 said:

The initial approved plans had walk up apartments on the light rail, so I'm not sure if that's what he is redesigning or if he his redesigning the 10th Street side.

He stated it'd have light rail facing retail now.

2 hours ago, ah59396 said:

At this point they should just turn it into an urban warfare theme park.  Could sell passes and have people play paintball or laser tag through this bloc.

That's actually a great idea. The paintball would give the inside of the deck color and a uniqueness once it does get used for cars. And they could make a decent amount of money. I'm sure people would come from far away to use it.

44 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

That's actually a great idea. The paintball would give the inside of the deck color and a uniqueness once it does get used for cars. And they could make a decent amount of money. I'm sure people would come from far away to use it.

I'm pretty sure I've played some first person shoother with a map like that.

• Like 1