First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

32 minutes ago, kermit said:

maybe.

I heard about the GF death from three different folks on various levels of the subcontracted installation crews. Work has stopped, but a few 'ready to go' installations may still be completed.  Google is hoping for a sale of assets, but is ready to walk away if necessary. They have moved on to wireless broadband provision. 

GF death? I'm sure they are still expanding. I would rather rely on statements/directives from google rather. IMO 

• Like 1

Google Fiber will finish out where they started but the whiz kids from Silicon Valley found it is a lot more difficult to reach that last mile so to speak. But with Google entering Charlotte caused AT&T to roll out more aggressively so as always competition is a good thing. I just wish I could get Google fiber where I live. 

• Like 1

My only concern is, what happens to GF in the long run? Do they sell their customers and assets off to the highest bidder? Or do they continue to operate as a small fiber utility for the long haul? I'd much rather the latter honestly. I don't want AT&T or Spectrum again.

Back on topic, walked by Levine's parking deck a couple days back... crickets

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Google Fiber will finish out where they started but the whiz kids from Silicon Valley found it is a lot more difficult to reach that last mile so to speak. But with Google entering Charlotte caused AT&T to roll out more aggressively so as always competition is a good thing. I just wish I could get Google fiber where I live. 

Rumers that Google Fiber is ending service or selling assets are false. 

Edited by mpretori
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, GeauxCLT said:

^they have added a little brick...

304570D4-FD44-4199-ABF1-99241F59004D.jpeg

Is it just me or are both of those telephone poles crooked? The one on the left corner appears to have a curve and is on the verge of snapping like a twig, and the one on the right looks about as stable as a J-Lo relationship. All the more reason to bury these eyesores.

• Like 2

A different angle on ‘progress’ at Levine land (weeds are growing).  

Bonus new fare machine closeup from 9th st station. There is still station work to be done at 9th street (missing wind gards  mostly). Rail trail is open on both sides of track to 12th street. 

C9EAE326-5A5E-4489-AA34-89285B91E5A8.jpeg

3DB06715-98EF-4E2E-BCBE-ECF484A58076.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 11/10/2017 at 10:40 PM, elrodvt said:

Does the city have any recourse?

Sure hope so.  The city has a strange push-pull relationship with Levine, as he is the land holder and has ultimate power in the neighborhood.   It is beyond absurd.  I have developed such a strong emotion about this slimebag, it's not healthy.  

But his penalty from the city is that he no longer receives a discount on his property taxes, but now that that has already happened, there is now no new incentives or penalties for him other than just the opportunity cost of not making revenue on the deck.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jtmonk said:

design to take place over the next several months.  Construction of the building COULD start in the second or third quarter of 2018.  Another wait and see...

I think the redesign is probably a good thing. It will hide the top of the deck and add more apts. to First Ward. On top of that, I know lots of people on UP will be happy this is no longer stick-built. I'll be honest, I'm glad they will be taller. With all that said, the part that bothered me was the fact it was going to take until the 2nd or 3rd quarter to get these started. I assume the redesign has been happening behind the scenes to cause the delay we've already seen. It's probably just my ignorance, but it seems as though it wouldn't take months and months to design a basic apt. building where I assume the floor plans will be repeating in many cases. Since I'm no architect, I'll just assume I'm wrong to feel that way.

• Like 1