uptownliving

First Ward Urban Village and Parks

8 minutes ago, jednc said:

I think the redesign is probably a good thing. It will hide the top of the deck and add more apts. to First Ward. On top of that, I know lots of people on UP will be happy this is no longer stick-built. I'll be honest, I'm glad they will be taller. With all that said, the part that bothered me was the fact it was going to take until the 2nd or 3rd quarter to get these started. I assume the redesign has been happening behind the scenes to cause the delay we've already seen. It's probably just my ignorance, but it seems as though it wouldn't take months and months to design a basic apt. building where I assume the floor plans will be repeating in many cases. Since I'm no architect, I'll just assume I'm wrong to feel that way.

The problem is it has to go BACK through the planning dept for approval. Thats a big part of the delay. THEN it has to go back through Code Enforcement for permits. Not to mention the intangible that hanging over this project, Daniel Levine.

Edited by ricky_davis_fan_21
  • Thanks 2

It could end up just being a big ugly parking deck for the next decade. I would not be shocked at all. 

23 minutes ago, 49er said:

It could end up just being a big ugly parking deck for the next decade. I would not be shocked at all. 

big ugly **unopened** parking deck. Corrected your syntax.

• Like 1

I surely hope the state has not paid all the money owed to Levine for this deck.  as someone who goes to UNCC uptown on occasion for alumni events and parks in a gravel lot this is very concerning to me as an alumni and state taxpayer.  By the time this redesign is done the market could have stalled (hope not but could happen) 

10 hours ago, uptownliving said:

Update in the Observer this morning. They are switching from wood frame to concrete and steel construction. Also they are increasing the size of the building to 400 apartments. So this really is a wholesale redesign of the building. No new renderings yet.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article187521323.html

1 hour ago, Scribe said:

Overall, I think the re-design is a positive for this development.

Right, so in terms of physical quality, this is an improvement, correct?

6 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Right, so in terms of physical quality, this is an improvement, correct?

Going from stickbuilt with BB+M as architect to Concrete and Steel with Perkins Eastman as architect should signal an improvement. It also signals the possibility that he has a JV partner now, and he's not developing on his own. It was much too small for uptown before, I think there is more value in the next incarnation, than the previous.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Going from stickbuilt with BB+M as architect to Concrete and Steel with Perkins Eastman as architect should signal an improvement. It also signals the possibility that he has a JV partner now, and he's not developing on his own. It was much too small for uptown before, I think there is more value in the next incarnation, than the previous.

I'd be ecstatic if this was anyone other than Levine...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JBS said:

I'd be ecstatic if this was anyone other than Levine...

Me too. I am so skeptical of anything he does, my first thought when I heard the news was that this is simply another delay tactic.  Any other developer, I would be applauding such a move.

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 3

Me too. I am so skeptical of anything he does, my first thought when I heard the news was that this is simply another delay tactic.  Any other developer, I would be applauding such a move.

It’s one of two things. A JV partner, or a stall tactic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

What is the news here? I am truly lost in this thread.

The news is that Levine Properties is changing the plans for the residential that is wrapping the parking deck under construction at 11th St and Brevard St.  The design is changing from smaller wood construction to steel and concrete, but the new design will be taller at nine or ten stories. Additional news is that this delay means the construction of the residential units “could start in the second or third quarter of 2018.”

Edited by JoshuaDrown
  • Like 1

Here are some visuals for the topic at hand from today.  Everytime I see that new playground equipment I think deathtrap thanks to @ricky_davis_fan_21   Here is the oversized large Levine garages that  may or may not be hidden by a taller apartment tower. (hopefully so) 

IMG_3780.JPG

IMG_3785.JPG

IMG_3786.JPG

IMG_3818.JPG

IMG_3819.JPG

• Like 3