First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

8 minutes ago, jednc said:

I think the redesign is probably a good thing. It will hide the top of the deck and add more apts. to First Ward. On top of that, I know lots of people on UP will be happy this is no longer stick-built. I'll be honest, I'm glad they will be taller. With all that said, the part that bothered me was the fact it was going to take until the 2nd or 3rd quarter to get these started. I assume the redesign has been happening behind the scenes to cause the delay we've already seen. It's probably just my ignorance, but it seems as though it wouldn't take months and months to design a basic apt. building where I assume the floor plans will be repeating in many cases. Since I'm no architect, I'll just assume I'm wrong to feel that way.

The problem is it has to go BACK through the planning dept for approval. Thats a big part of the delay. THEN it has to go back through Code Enforcement for permits. Not to mention the intangible that hanging over this project, Daniel Levine.

Edited by Guest

I surely hope the state has not paid all the money owed to Levine for this deck.  as someone who goes to UNCC uptown on occasion for alumni events and parks in a gravel lot this is very concerning to me as an alumni and state taxpayer.  By the time this redesign is done the market could have stalled (hope not but could happen) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, uptownliving said:

Update in the Observer this morning. They are switching from wood frame to concrete and steel construction. Also they are increasing the size of the building to 400 apartments. So this really is a wholesale redesign of the building. No new renderings yet.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article187521323.html

1 hour ago, Scribe said:

Overall, I think the re-design is a positive for this development.

Right, so in terms of physical quality, this is an improvement, correct?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Right, so in terms of physical quality, this is an improvement, correct?

Going from stickbuilt with BB+M as architect to Concrete and Steel with Perkins Eastman as architect should signal an improvement. It also signals the possibility that he has a JV partner now, and he's not developing on his own. It was much too small for uptown before, I think there is more value in the next incarnation, than the previous.

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Going from stickbuilt with BB+M as architect to Concrete and Steel with Perkins Eastman as architect should signal an improvement. It also signals the possibility that he has a JV partner now, and he's not developing on his own. It was much too small for uptown before, I think there is more value in the next incarnation, than the previous.

I'd be ecstatic if this was anyone other than Levine...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JBS said:

I'd be ecstatic if this was anyone other than Levine...

Me too. I am so skeptical of anything he does, my first thought when I heard the news was that this is simply another delay tactic.  Any other developer, I would be applauding such a move.

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 2

Me too. I am so skeptical of anything he does, my first thought when I heard the news was that this is simply another delay tactic.  Any other developer, I would be applauding such a move.

It’s one of two things. A JV partner, or a stall tactic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

What is the news here? I am truly lost in this thread.

The news is that Levine Properties is changing the plans for the residential that is wrapping the parking deck under construction at 11th St and Brevard St.  The design is changing from smaller wood construction to steel and concrete, but the new design will be taller at nine or ten stories. Additional news is that this delay means the construction of the residential units “could start in the second or third quarter of 2018.”

Edited by JoshuaDrown
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

^^^ Isn't this the speakeasy place a private bar or something?  I remember reading something about in the Agenda or C5 

Its Coffee and Gift Shop. I don't even live there guys, come on get with the program. ;-)

17 minutes ago, kermit said:

New business at 320 E 9th street (across from UNCC). I didn’t have time to investigate but it looks to be either hipster coffee or tattoos  or both.

63DF38C3-46B3-47FB-BA76-4BC8ABFFC041.jpeg

9 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

^^^ Isn't this the speakeasy place a private bar or something?  I remember reading something about in the Agenda or C5 

It is called Sub Secreto, it is a coffee shop with lots of old school/twirly-moustache style items for sale, and adorning the walls. The coffee and tea beverages are insanely creative and delicious.

Sub Secreto Instagram

Charlotte Five article about Sub Secreto

• Like 3

On 1/30/2018 at 11:17 AM, Scribe said:

Nice picture from UNC Charlotte Uptown Campus (credit: UNC Charlotte twitter account)

Gives you an idea of what a 4-car train would looks like... (basically not workable Uptown)

DUzPCHrW0AIknIR.jpg

I want to vomit every time I see those undeveloped lots there. Especially that eyesore of a radio tower.

Am I the only one bothered by the awkward/ugly land grading in the foreground on the lot of the UNCC building? Difficult to tell from this pic, but I’m assuming you guys know what I’m talking about. It has a weird depression in it. Doesn’t look like something you’d see in the heart of an urban area. I hope they do something about it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hunted said:

I want to vomit every time I see those undeveloped lots there. Especially that eyesore of a radio tower.

Am I the only one bothered by the awkward/ugly land grading in the foreground on the lot of the UNCC building? Difficult to tell from this pic, but I’m assuming you guys know what I’m talking about. It has a weird depression in it. Doesn’t look like something you’d see in the heart of an urban area. I hope they do something about it.

Considering it's the land that slopes down into their entrance to the underground parking deck (with retaining wall) I always just assumed they were leaving it (and that side surface lot) until X years in the future when they develop all of that into another University building.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

I always thought that spot was in fact earmarked for future UNCC expansion. I think I read that somewhere around the time the present building was announced. It's been a while so I'm not sure if I'm imagining that though.

Was supposed to get this one day. I think its earmarked for a 22 floor office tower now.

Levine-parking-renderingWEB.jpg 

image.png

12 hours ago, Hunted said:

I always fantasized about that lot with the radio tower becoming something like an aquarium or some sort of museum with a regional attraction.  I think it would add so much life to that park and that section of uptown.  It would also be great in combination with ImagninOn right across the street.

• Like 3