First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 11:03 AM, elrodvt said:

The street through the middle of the park is so annoying. Can't lose even one street.

That street in the middle of the playground areas is terrible. We go to that parks with our kids frequently and I cannot understand why there is a road there. It could at least be blocked off except for special times. Is there any chance of that changing? I'm not even sure who to speak with about this, does anyone have any suggestions?

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, enicideme said:

That street in the middle of the playground areas is terrible. We go to that parks with our kids frequently and I cannot understand why there is a road there. It could at least be blocked off except for special times. Is there any chance of that changing? I'm not even sure who to speak with about this, does anyone have any suggestions?

I emailed parks & rec when it first opened because they hadn't even put up warnings the street was there! They reacted very quickly to what I considered a very dangerous situation. I think you could start there and see what they say. I suspect it would take a lot of community effort to get it changed though. Carlotte.

2 hours ago, elrodvt said:

I emailed parks & rec when it first opened because they hadn't even put up warnings the street was there! They reacted very quickly to what I considered a very dangerous situation. I think you could start there and see what they say. I suspect it would take a lot of community effort to get it changed though. Carlotte.

3 hours ago, enicideme said:

The original intention was exactly this a meandering street that wasn't always open and would have bollards. Not. Sure. What. Happened.

I personally love the street, I love walking in it, biking in it, and driving in it. When I originally saw how they were making it I was impressed, as this is a design we should see in MANY more places than just urban parks. If this was done in other neighborhood streets or small thoroughfares, it would improve safety for everyone, and still not impede emergency vehicles.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I personally love the street, I love walking in it, biking in it, and driving in it. When I originally saw how they were making it I was impressed, as this is a design we should see in MANY more places than just urban parks. If this was done in other neighborhood streets or small thoroughfares, it would improve safety for everyone, and still not impede emergency vehicles.

I disagree. There is plenty of emergency access in the area.  The real issue though is safety. I personally have witnessed kids running across the street to the fountain without looking many times. They think they're in a SAFE PARK. I have seen many cars use the street as well so it's not like there is no danger.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

I disagree. There is plenty of emergency access in the area.  The real issue though is safety. I personally have witnessed kids running across the street to the fountain without looking many times. They think they're in a SAFE PARK. I have seen many cars use the street as well so it's not like there is no danger.  

Very fair point, yoI've convinced me. I guess this is an instance where this tool really should be implemented in many other environments, but because of how terrified our society is of catering to humans, this tool was only able to be used as a justification for putting an auto-centric thing in the one place where one really shouldn't be.

Hopefully one day they can put permanent poles at both ends so it can just be ped. Wouldn't be that hard.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

does anything stick out in this photo of First Ward LOL?   How many spaces does that huge garage have? 

IMG_6143.JPG

The Lennar Market 42 block is seen right directly above Spirit Square dome.

I love the bottom left of this pic. That block always reminds me of mid-sized 20th century cities. Like parts of a Greensboro today, etc.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The Levine "it takes years and years to build" Parking garage.  I did see workers all on the top floor look closely. Today.    Why oh why is this garage not open?  The state of NC paid some money for some of the parking spaces and yet still not open.   someone in the media should under FOIA look at the contract the state signed here with UNCC  and Levine and see if there is a breach. 

IMG_6436.JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

The Levine "it takes years and years to build" Parking garage.  I did see workers all on the top floor look closely. Today.    Why oh why is this garage not open?  The state of NC paid some money for some of the parking spaces and yet still not open.   someone in the media should under FOIA look at the contract the state signed here with UNCC  and Levine and see if there is a breach. 

IMG_6436.JPG

I want to write a april fools story about the one single person named Robert who is finishing Levine's parking deck, all by himself.

5 minutes ago, Hunted said:

To my understanding, that parking deck will have apartments (presumably of equal, or greater height) around 3 of the 4 sides. Which side is supposed to remain exposed? The side fronting 277?

10 floors wrapping 3 sides. It was rendered to have an artistic screening on the 277 side, but I don't think thats happening tbh

7 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

10 floors wrapping 3 sides. It was rendered to have an artistic screening on the 277 side, but I don't think thats happening tbh

That'd be a great opportunity to mask the garage, as well as provide some eye candy to passing motorists. Hopefully it goes through. Any idea what the hold up on construction is? I feel like I remember a re-design being mentioned.

5 minutes ago, Hunted said:

That'd be a great opportunity to mask the garage, as well as provide some eye candy to passing motorists. Hopefully it goes through. Any idea what the hold up on construction is? I feel like I remember a re-design being mentioned.

they are redesigning the building to have street level retail, and to be 10 floors with steel/concrete construction instead of 6 floors of wood. Also its levine, its all stalling tactics. The construction documents seem to not be accessible any longer, so I can't give much answers unfortunately.

image.png.8bc09a3f0e52ae14c0f4cedcc6d74dbf.png

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

IMG_6436.JPG

This matches your post about the feverish work on 77 that had not a person or piece of moving equipment. Well done, you!  : )

• Like 1

^^^^ actually that day I took the photos of I-77 north they were plenty of workers  and I did not get any workers in the pictures but plenty were there.  Look real close and on the 2nd to the top floor of the garage facing Brevard St you will see some people standing in bright yellow green shirts.  They are there.  in those little openings at the top of the garage.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

they are redesigning the building to have street level retail, and to be 10 floors with steel/concrete construction instead of 6 floors of wood. Also its levine, its all stalling tactics. The construction documents seem to not be accessible any longer, so I can't give much answers unfortunately.

This sounds like a serious upgrade if it ever happens.  Like everyone else, I simply have zero confidence in Levine following through on anything he says.  It seems possible (likely?) that this could sit unfinished until the next boom cycle.  Best case scenario is Levine continues to sell off parcels to good developers who might actually, you know, develop.  Grubb at least has an excuse (the hospital).    

• Like 2