First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

5 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/02/15/daniel-levine-explains-his-big-vision-for-first.html

Glossed over it at first, but I noted Daniel is adding some Street front Retail to his 1st ward apartments. which takes this project from a D+ to a C+. Nice work Danny. 

Between Lennar and Levine they will have ~2200 parking spaces available near the 9th street station. Fantastic work guys. Glad they didn't overdo it or anything.

Edited by HopHead
  • Like 2

Between Lennar and Levine they will have ~2200 parking spaces available near the 9th street station. Fantastic work guys. Glad they didn't overdo it or anything.

Still a buried parking deck topped by an office tower planned behind the UNCC building. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is Ely's story as the counterpart to the CBJ story.  It sounds like Levine is looking for more Lennar type deals to move the land or partner with developers.  If it is a complete change in strategy (partnering with others instead of Levine doing all of the development), then shovels might actually start moving.  Pretty interesting and promising.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article132984039.html

• Like 2

1 minute ago, J-Rob said:

Here is Ely's story as the counterpart to the CBJ story.  It sounds like Levine is looking for more Lennar type deals to move the land or partner with developers.  If it is a complete change in strategy (partnering with others instead of Levine doing all of the development), then shovels might actually start moving.  Pretty interesting and promising.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article132984039.html

These articles do make me feel better, but I'm still skeptical. If Danny hadn't dragged his feet back in the previous cycle we would have 39, 27 and 25 floor towers built by Novare in First Ward. They ended up planning 4-5 towers around Bearden instead. Granted only two and a parking deck came to fruition. 

It is very frustrating how many times Levine changes his mind with the First Ward property. Everything has had major design changes before the projects get off the ground and then even major design changes midstream while a project is being built. The latest example being redesigning the apartments around the 10th St Parking Deck after the foundation and utilities are already in place. That being said Levine himself is very nice in person...but the universe applauds action and as we are all well aware on this forum that his actions have been lacking. Looking forward to seeing what these new partnerships produce.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Here is an idea for Lennar's new high rise apartment tower in 1st Ward a sky pool like this one in Houston. Lennar set  yourself apart with a rooftop pool that hangs over the edge. http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Houston-YouTubers-sneak-into-Market-Square-Tower-10953819.php#photo-12006605

Cool, but I'd be (seriously) nervous swimming in it and it doesn't look great architecturally.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JBS said:

Cool, but I'd be (seriously) nervous swimming in it and it doesn't look great architecturally.  

That particular tower also has another pool on a lower level for people concerned about it. But boy would it get talked about here in Charlotte and talk means leases. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, kermit said:

^ its even worse from the inside. Its all covered in 1/8 inch black dots to reduce sun so it is impossible to see clearly out of.

Yes I found that out went I went up to the 11th floor to get some photos and saw those dots LOL 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, go_vertical said:

I like the UNC building too.....except for that glass. It just looks like panels that were installed in the 70's and washed out by the sun.

I actually prefer this glass to most of the other glass we have uptown, it looks very clean and modern to me and stands out from the rest of the highly tinted glass used in most of uptown.  Different strokes different folks. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, michaelef said:

I'm not holding my breath but do we have any update on when we might see construction the Canopy Hotel...

To make this date, I assume we'd have to start construction by Middle of this year. Though interestingly the Atlanta Canopy in Midtown is claiming a 15 Month full build. 

Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 11.46.57 AM.png

Edited by Guest

Has anyone been by this stretch of N Tryon lately? Apparently Waterbean Coffee (#3) has set up shop in this innocuous building on N Tryon St at Phifer Ave (that one street in between 9th and 10th). 
A squat little bunker of a building set back like 30-40 ft from the street, nestled tranquilly in between three parking lots, it looks really nice inside. Pretty awesome to have something north of 8th St! Reminds me of a small town's main street on its outskirts.

Waterbeam.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Has anyone been by this stretch of N Tryon lately? Apparently Waterbean Coffee (#3) has set up shop in this innocuous building on N Tryon St at Phifer Ave (that one street in between 9th and 10th). 
A squat little bunker of a building set back like 30-40 ft from the street, nestled tranquilly in between three parking lots, it looks really nice inside. Pretty awesome to have something north of 8th St! Reminds me of a small town's main street on its outskirts.

Waterbeam.jpg

There was a cocktail bar there in 2008, things went downhill fast at it tho.