First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

9 hours ago, alb1no panther said:

anyone know if the brick pavers will be replaced?  You'd think with a name like "Rail Trail" that separate 'lanes' for bikers and pedestrians would be provided.

No, the brick pavers were just installed. They are here to stay. The ultimate vision for the Rail Trail is to be a shared path giving equal access to cyclists and pedestrians. Would I like to see some separation, yes, is it in the plans, no. But in South End the city and CCCP are studying how to create alternate bike thoroughfares on streets which are more for commuting purposes rather than the mixed use nature of the trail.

• Like 1

I'm surprised Lennar's "Market 42" project doesn't have a thread. They just submitted the UMUD to the planning dept. It's gained 9 units and lost 44 parking spaces, since the presubmit. The new numbers are as follows. 

Residences: 548
Retail: 19585
Open Space: 59677 (this seems wrong, I think it denotes the amount left for the second phase, for comparison First ward park Southwest of 8th Street is 130,000)
Parking: 885 (still too much)

Here is updated story from Biz Journal about the 33 story Lennar tower and when it will start be completed etc. https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/07/21/records-lmc-first-ward-project-would-add-548-units.html   I agree this needs it own topic just to differentiate itself from the lack of anything on the other land in 1st Ward. 

• Like 1

A good chunk of that rendering is already built, including 7th St Market, ImaginOn, UNCC, First Ward Park, and Skyhouses.  The opening of 9th St Station and the sale of Hal Marshall should be the tipping point of accelerated redevelopment, just like the breakneck speed following Romare Bearden.

Edited by southslider
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, JoshuaDrown said:

"Market Street is a new street that will be constructed between 7th Street and 9th Street immediately west of the Blue Line light rail line. This street will provide pedestrian, bicycle and auto connectivity

Chop out the Auto connectivity and you have a winner. C'mon Charlotte. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

As always KJHburg, thanks for all the pics you share on this forum.  I don't make it down to Charlotte nearly as much as i would like so these pictures are really appreciated.  As for this park, i think it turned out really great and every time I've been there it seems pretty well utilized.  Hopefully Levine will sell off some more properties sooner rather than later and then maybe we'll see some more development around there. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Saw some work on the Levine mega garage today. I dont understand what they are doing towards the top it looks like blank walls up top.  

IMG_0299.JPG

Noticed that this past weekend - It looks like they are stuccoing the top and the corners where the stairwells are.  I'm assuming those are the areas that will be exposed once it is wrapped with apartments, since the top will be exposed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

Seems a bit premature.

maybe.

I heard about the GF death from three different folks on various levels of the subcontracted installation crews. Work has stopped, but a few 'ready to go' installations may still be completed.  Google is hoping for a sale of assets, but is ready to walk away if necessary. They have moved on to wireless broadband provision.