First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

Honestly, is Levine even making money off of this anymore? Surely he is bleeding money from taxes and fines and unfulfilled contracts. It just boggles my mind that the guy is either inept at good business or is deluded into thinking he can provide something better than what has already been built. Why is the city not hounding this guy? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rufus said:

Honestly, is Levine even making money off of this anymore? Surely he is bleeding money from taxes and fines and unfulfilled contracts. It just boggles my mind that the guy is either inept at good business or is deluded into thinking he can provide something better than what has already been built. Why is the city not hounding this guy? 

Probably makes a decent penny from parking fees. 

• 4 weeks later...

From Ashley of the Business Journal twitter feed schedule for North Tryon RFP timing. 

The timeline for selecting a master developer for the Seventh & Tryon project (https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/03/14/search-begins-for-private-developer-to-spearhead.html ) has been altered. Developer negotiations aren't expected to begin until late November.

DorHEdEXoAEDL0p.jpg

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This might be a dumb question, but why aren't things like that caught during the permitting process? How much of the technical design is considered beyond meeting zoning and ordinance requirements?

Or would something like this more likely be a failure during the construction process where the design wasn't followed properly?

• Like 1

^ Yea, I agree that there is likely much more to the story. I would have thought that Danny was smart enough (I know, I know... ) to have a clause in his construction contract that the deck was required to "pass all inspections."

Having said that , I could imagine a situation where the contract did not sufficiently outline that the deck needed to meet the requirements necessary for residential space wrapping the deck. More specifically,  I am surprised that there isn't a solid wall between the deck and the planned apartments -- I thought the lack of a solid firewall between parking and residential would be a violation of code (but I am certainly not an expert). So I can imagine a possibility where the deck might be fine from the perspective of the contractor, but the deck's design prevents the development of the next stage of the project due to the developer being inexperienced and/or hiring the wrong architects. 

Edited by kermit

So...I will defer to someone more knowledgeable in the permitting process and more particularly the permit tracking websites, but I do not see any final passed inspections on the Levine's parking deck.   To make it easier for someone more knowledgeable to verify this, below are think relevant links and details.

http://polaris3g.mecklenburgcountync.gov/#mat=572138&pid=08004115&gisid=08004115

Parcel #08004115

Project Numbers for the parcel: NR0377182, 342503, 351475, and NR0439278

Permit Numbers: B2813420 and E2814807

https://webpermit.mecklenburgcountync.gov/Default.aspx?PossePresentation=Address&PosseObjectId=178458

• Like 3

^^^ Good find as another contributor said they heard through the rumor mill that it didnt pass all these inspections all this  makes sense to me.  I found an article that Ely did in the Observer that said the deck would open fall of 2017.   Of course that did not happen and here we are a year later and still waiting.  Even if there was an engineering problem you would think it could get worked out by now.  Of course I now wonder if this is something that can fixed at all?  

• Like 2