First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

On 2/9/2019 at 7:15 PM, KJHburg said:

IMG_9327.JPG

I know people may be against this, and I know that this building would be considered a historical structure for Charlotte, but I would love to see the brick on this painted white, and get maybe one or two retail spaces on the ground floor where the bottom tan detail is. 

Edited by j-man

7 minutes ago, j-man said:

I know people may be against this, and I know that this building would be considered a historical structure for Charlotte, but I would love to see the brick on this painted white, and get maybe one or two retail spaces on the ground floor where the bottom tan detail is. 

I swear, stop trying to paint historic brick structures white. What a matter with you. This will become a boutique hotel almost certainly with the 7th & Tryon redo.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I swear, stop trying to paint historic brick structures white. What a matter with you. This will become a boutique hotel almost certainly with the 7th & Tryon redo.

I knew it. lol. It would still have it's history, but I just wish they had  a wee bit more life and color to the architecture back then so they all wouldn't be so identical and dark. I guess that  the facade at the bottom could be painted, just as an upgrade. And the windows could be replaced right? I'm not sure how certain structures are dealt with when it comes to historic preservation...:tw_sleepy:

3 minutes ago, j-man said:

I knew it. lol. It would still have it's history, but I just wish they had  a wee bit more life and color to the architecture back then so they all wouldn't be so identical and dark. I guess that  the facade at the bottom could be painted, just as an upgrade. And the windows could be replaced right? I'm not sure how certain structures are dealt with when it comes to historic preservation...:tw_sleepy:

I cannot imagine NOT loving brick. Its literally my favorite material.

5 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I cannot imagine NOT loving brick. Its literally my favorite material.

noooo. I love brick. its my second favorite to stucco. lol But I prefer extremely light brick, or extremely dark. the brown/red brick to me is just too common. It doesn't stick out to me as much unless other features on the building bring the colors of the brick out. Hope this pic doesn't upset you but look at that beautiful transformation. I'm sure the interest in that house would go up.  

Image result for white painted brick house

Edited by j-man
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, j-man said:

Painting a brown building white -- a great metaphor for gentrification, no?

But seriously, I think the old Barringer is expendible.  Built in 1940, and clumsily added onto in 1950, it gets no points for antiquity.  And it's ugly.  No detail other than the heavy-handed and incongruous stonework on the first two floors.

Take it down, and along with it, the small building fronting on 7th which serves, I think, as a police substation.  You have a beautiful block for the development of something spectacular, just a block removed from the concentration of office towers in the first two blocks of North Tryon, and a link between the cultural district (new library and associated development; Discovery Place; Spirit Square;  Carolina Theater; ImaginOn; Levine Museum; and more) and the coming First Ward Village.  Beautiful views of and from a new tower, over the midrise Transamerica Square, Discovery Place, and I'm guessing a relatively low-lying new library development.  

How about this block for a BB&T/SunTrust tower?  The Hal Marshall site some have suggested seems a bit too far removed from the mainstream, but a signature development on the Tryon/7th/College/8th block could be the catalyst for more growth up North Tryon. 

Edited by southernnorthcarolina
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, southernnorthcarolina said:

lol yeah what a metaphor that is lol, but I have seen many new developments brick their buildings with brown brick and paint them another color on top because the shape is nice but to have one solid color makes it even more beautiful to some.  I love preserving the building but can a few of them get a pop of color. Or maybe just paint the front. 

Edited by j-man

5 hours ago, j-man said:

Those windows are certainly not original. It is not a designated landmark so the owner could do whatever they want, but more appropriate windows would certainly help. 

• 2 weeks later...