First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

I do remember about a year ago a woman announcing that a coffee shop was going in that space....then when nothing showed up I heard that the main problem was lack of parking (go figure)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The economics of opening a neighborhood coffee shop really demand that you serve more people than what can reasonably walk to the place in a neighborhood such as First Ward. And when the weather is bad, business is bad thus there has to be some parking for the place to survive.

The economics of opening a neighborhood coffee shop really demand that you serve more people than what can reasonably walk to the place in a neighborhood such as First Ward.  And when the weather is bad, business is bad thus there has to be some parking for the place to survive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just a few months ago... I sat down with a group of investors to talk about that site and how I thought that a new neighborhood winebar/food service business would work in the site...They loved the idea but questioned the site...

We didn't proceed further because of 2 things:

1-Parking was a nightmare and there were not enough residents to make up for it

2-size of space... we needed more room to work

We've sinced started looking at other places uptown as well as in Huntersville and North Charlotte.

• 1 month later...

As levine's property doesn't have its own thread (that i can remember or find), i'll put the good news from the CBJ here.

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte.../11/story6.html

Levine hired Civitas to update the land use plan for his property, to improve the mix and density as a result of all the progress made in the area around his property. "He is revamping those plans because of extensive changes on adjacent property -- and possibly new interest from major potential tenants."

"Now, with the momentum of a burgeoning First Ward entertainment district anchored by the arena's fall opening, the timing may finally be right. "

The surprising and negative announcement in this, is that despite his hinting about it for years, he has never officially requested city money for the parking deck. I think it said that Parks Helms is positively inclined to help with the deck, possibly with the library system in mind.

did levine send the request for parking deck funding through carrier pigeon? that would allow it to fit into his 2398 AD timeframe for building with the Oxygen Store and Cooling-suit Tailor shop (to offset the effects of global warming) named as possible tenants.

Edited by dubone

Ouch......sources wrong again!!! The UNCC uptown campus is going to a full block at 9th and Brevard (presumably at the northwest corner and 10th street would be reconnected) If this is the case, then it would make sense for the park to run north south between 7th and 9th.

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

Ouch......sources wrong again!!!  The UNCC uptown campus is going to a full block at 9th and Brevard (presumably at the northwest corner and 10th street would be reconnected)  If this is the case, then it would make sense for the park to run north south between 7th and 9th.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, but only a block off. And you still knew it was happening before anyone else. Still give you high marks for being "in the know"

Ouch......sources wrong again!!!  The UNCC uptown campus is going to a full block at 9th and Brevard (presumably at the northwest corner and 10th street would be reconnected)  If this is the case, then it would make sense for the park to run north south between 7th and 9th.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Time to get edgy about my view again. Sigh. At least if the lot across from Courtside gets something built there, it will mean that Levine actually has done something.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do we know if it is the block between Brevard and Caldwell or College or the RR tracks and Caldwell? It could be any of three blocks actually...from what I can tell.

9th and brevard could mean the block that was original slated for the north half of levine's park. that would put it on the park itself. If they bought the land from the county, it could mean the north side of 9th, either the location of the old 1st ward school (which i originally thought they would tear down eventually) or the block with the enterprise rental site. It could also be between caldwell and brevard on the block that is currently a nice oasis of grass and trees, that most first ward residents stumble across on their way home from the night life.

i'm not sure which one i'd prefer it to be. I guess i'd most hope for it to be bought from the county, especially the elementary school site, as that would be no net loss in land that was originally expected to be residential or office.

Its not going on the First Ward School site...so it would have to be one of the other 3 corners...The Enterprise Rent a Car...the Secured Parking Site...or the little Art Gallary site.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i figured that was the least likely. out of curiosity, do you know if cms eventually plans to level the old FWES building for field/playground? ... or is it currently in its final state?

i figured that was the least likely.  out of curiosity, do you know if cms eventually plans to level the old FWES building for field/playground?  ... or is it currently in its final state?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those buildings are not really that old...the ones cloest to 9th with A frame roofs were built in the late 80s. The oldest building fronts Caldwell. I think it was built in the 70s.

There used to be a really old building built in the 1940s (that I actually had 4th Grade in) but it was torn down in the late 80s.

I don't know of any plans to tear down any current buildings at First Ward. I have a friend who is a teacher there, I'll ask and see if he knows anything.

Those buildings are not really that old...the ones cloest to 9th with A frame roofs were built in the late 80s. The oldest building fronts Caldwell. I think it was built in the 70s.

I don't know of any plans to tear down any current buildings at First Ward. I have a friend who is a teacher there, I'll ask and see if he knows anything.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I used 'old' as a relative term, as i know they are not really that old. I was hoping the new school was a full replacement, with the old buildings being replaced with a field. I'm not bothered too much by the older campus, but they've torn part of it down, but i wasn't sure if the rest would go eventually.

Thanks for checking.

Edited by dubone

Surveyors were out in force today at M Street.....looks like it will be cranking up soon.  Another note about M Street, Furman donated the back half of that property to the county to be developed as the Little Sugar Creek Greenway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I noticed all the stakes in the ground too. That makes sense to donate that back half to the Greenway since he is not going to develop that part.

Surveyors were out in force today at M Street.....looks like it will be cranking up soon.  Another note about M Street, Furman donated the back half of that property to the county to be developed as the Little Sugar Creek Greenway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They've put up erosion fencing now on the site......site work should begin later this week or next week some time.

It looks like Drakeford/Boulevard Centro broke ground on M Street either today or yesterday. We went by there Saturday and nothing was going on. Tonight they had fences up, a backhoe on site, and there was a big hole beside the backhoe.

Nothing happening with The Renwick yet.