First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

it isn't good right now, but Brevard is in all the uptown plans to be a major pedestrian corridor.

Levine's plans for his land in First Ward aim to make brevard a retail/pedestrian corridor, and the city/state plan to upgrade Brevard to have Tryon Street-style pedestrian amenities, like huge fancy sidewalks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I understand that he's about to buy the city's property (via BofA) on Brevard between 9th and 11th.

I understand that he's about to buy the city's property (via BofA) on Brevard between 9th and 11th.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope they mandate some type of a build-out timeline if they do sell it to him.

Any heard of when the new plan will be released? Wasn't it supposed to be in May? At one point I was concerned about building opposite Courtside blocking my view, but I'm starting to think I would have sold and been long gone before anything happens.

I hope they mandate some type of a build-out timeline if they do sell it to him.

Any heard of when the new plan will be released?  Wasn't it supposed to be in May?  At one point I was concerned about building opposite Courtside blocking my view, but I'm starting to think I would have sold and been long gone before anything happens.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

honestly, i'd rather levine own it than the city/county. At least taxes are being paid and some productive use will be preferred rather than the stuff there now. I'm not holding my breath for much on that land in the next 2 years, except possibly small projects on small portions of his land. We've had so many other announcements downtown, i think he missed the boat for this round. anyway, the longer we wait, the better it will be.

i would like him, however, to figure out how to do the park/parking deck sometime in the next few years.

honestly, i'd rather levine own it than the city/county.  At least taxes are being paid and some productive use will be preferred rather than the stuff there now.  I'm not holding my breath for much on that land in the next 2 years, except possibly small projects on small portions of his land.  We've had so many other announcements downtown, i think he missed the boat for this round.  anyway, the longer we wait, the better it will be. 

i would like him, however, to figure out how to do the park/parking deck sometime in the next few years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. At least there will be tax revenue.

I lament that only George, Jane, Judy, Elroy and Astro will be able to enjoy whatever finally gets built on the Levine property, though.

I agree.  At least there will be tax revenue.

I lament that only George, Jane, Judy, Elroy and Astro will be able to enjoy whatever finally gets built on the Levine property, though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is true....instead of below park, car parking, he needs to negoatiate with the city to get air-rights and build an above park, hover-car parking lot.

i hope mr. levine doesn't use the internet, we sure are mean about him quite a bit. :)

back to the land... is he just buying the lot at 11th and the rail corridor that was part of the arena financing or is he getting the whole thing that was part of the palladium vs. cousins-levine rfp?

i hope mr. levine doesn't use the internet, we sure are mean about him quite a bit.  :)

back to the land... is he just buying the lot at 11th and the rail corridor that was part of the arena financing or is he getting the whole thing that was part of the palladium vs. cousins-levine rfp?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sure he just chuckles. He knows he's in the catbird's seat. Wait until Epicentre opens and his land price probably doubles.

And should we hold our breath waiting for the plan to come to fruition ?  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

do not hold your breath. he will build out his land over a period of decades, period. Consider it like the transit plan... we wish it could happen right away, but as much as we might want the end result now, it just ain't gonna happen.

i interpretted from his comment that his complaint was that south park is still quite suburban in that it is a single-use project requiring driving-parking-shopping- and driving home.  I interpretted the new plans to mean that some residential and possibly office will be added to the mall to create a mixed-use urban center.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Geez! I hope. There is a lot going on in SP. My only real complaint is that there is a huge amount of residential that seperates the Center City from SP (I am talking single family). Here in Three Wachovia (I work pretty high up in the bldg) I often gaze out of the window and wonder what might be. I could easily see the two connecting (SP and Center City), if and only if, we could get a transit line to and from. That will in all honesty probably not happen (at least in my lifetime). However, I could see Park road being an awesome corridor for it. It would run south and connect SP to East Blvd area and then on to the CBD, and then connect to the Midtwon (Elizabeth area). If that were to happen, it would be unfregginbelievable. RHJ, as soon as you can let the cat out of the bag, please do. I know in your line of work you are probably restricted from doing so. For that I totally respect you. I do enjoy the posts though. Keep em' coming.

:)

A2

do not hold your breath.  he will build out his land over a period of decades, period.  Consider it like the transit plan... we wish it could happen right away, but as much as we might want the end result now, it just ain't gonna happen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, at least it won't be a rush job. And besides, those aeriel shots just wouldn't look the same without at least some surface parking. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As far as I know, just the city land between 9th & 11th to the rail corridor that was part of the arena financing. Don't think his buy includes the additional land...at least yet. -_-

The Supreme Court rulings are sometime broad, but that ruling said the government can take property to be develop for private development, it's not a must. But in the ruling, the Supreme Court said states are free to pass law to limit its eminent domain powers. Eminent domain really belongs to the Federal and the states governments. The Constitution does not mention local governments, and it is the state legislature that give city charters. So the state can have limit its eminent domain powers. The wonders of a federal system, a centralized government with shared regional powers.

Where is Court6 going in relation to Courtside?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the eastern third/half of the same block.

the building would be the short one to the right of the brick parking deck in this rendering, behind the big cherry tree in the bottom right.

24719348-M.jpg