First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

8 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

IFFFFF this actually gets built (it won’t), its coloring is bland but at least it looks different?

47F71EC1-2A9C-4117-BCE9-80587429F029.jpeg

the beigest turd I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of turds 

2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

the beigest turd I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of turds

Very little can be uglier than the off-white unfinished garage that is in that spot today.

I vote YES, tell Levine he's a genius, or whatever strokes his ego, to get this moving!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JBS said:

It isn't great but I've seen much beiger turds (Legacy is beige, no?)...

Yes but the blue windows on Legacy break up the beige.  They even made the windows look beige on this rendering.

The articulation(?) is pretty interesting (edit: somewhat interesting) compared to many other buildings, so hey, in 10-30 years perhaps the new owners can give it a fresh coat of paint and make it more quirky (like the underpass painting right next to it).

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 2

The building colors are bland but the material choice looks to be good. Where they really need to add some color are in the street level and rooftop pool renderings. I'm not sure how many people of color work at Perkins Eastman, but good grief people it's 2018 and successful non white people will be living in this apartment so put them in the damn renderings!!!!! Not a single non white person in the renderings.

Screenshot_20180417-112215.png

• Like 3

I should have said that I don't hate this design.  For what and where it is, it's fine aside from the coloring.  I happen to think this is superior to Skyhouse.

4 minutes ago, uptownliving said:

Not a single non white person in the renderings.

Generally agree with your sentiment but I think there is one person of color next to the guy in red trunks.

46 minutes ago, uptownliving said:

The building colors are bland but the material choice looks to be good. Where they really need to add some color are in the street level and rooftop pool renderings. I'm not sure how many people of color work at Perkins Eastman, but good grief people it's 2018 and successful non white people will be living in this apartment so put them in the damn renderings!!!!! Not a single non white person in the renderings.

Off topic: I will say, living/working at an uptown apartment community I have seen more true diversity than I've seen anywhere else in Charlotte, having grown up here and seen the segregation inherent in our landscape. All sorts of people be flocking to Charlotte with lots of cash! Interesting note: the same doesn't seem as true outside of Uptown in the neighborhoods... so it may be the true "city life" that is attracting everyone of all backgrounds.

What will be interesting is to see how the cards will fall over the next 10-20 years as everyone settles into more permanent homes.  I've met many out-of-towners who love University City and Highland Creek for their diversity and nice neighborhoods, so perhaps they will continue to be Charlotte's most diverse region, or perhaps another area will come up that we can't predict right now.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, dubone said:

I like this design but I have become completely jaded about these.   I don't care until it is done at this point.   It is good density for what is kind of the edge of the neighborhood with of course not much around it because: Levine. 

I just offered to cook Daniel Levine a 5 course dinner every single time I'm in town, if this is built by 2021. I'll risk having to burden myself with the displeasure of his company, because I'm so confident he won't build this.

7 minutes ago, dubone said:

But really 2021 isn't even far.   I first heard Daniel Levine present big plans for his project in 2001.        I was young then and believed it.

I cannot react with Laugh and Sad at the same time, but your post made me :lol: & :(

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Screenshot_20180417-112215.thumb.png.c9b8835cc0501d2334a0f0f03c4deca2.png
The rendering also hints that absolutely nothing else will be built between this project and the center of Uptown in the time it takes to complete it.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, uptownliving said:

Has anyone been able to successfully find this project in Acela to confirm this is actually moving forward in the permitting process and not just a media campaign to buy more time? I can't find anything.

I have not been able to find any recent activity in Accela either.  Everything is still referencing the approved plans from 2012.

BTW, Levine talking about the office project before construction even starts on the apartments is laughable.  Anyone here believe that Levine will build an office building before 2030?  He'd need like 95% up front leases and would still find a reason to delay the project.  Meanwhile, what's the reason he hasn't started rehab on the old red house that he wants to make a restaurant?  Every time it rains, the damage becomes more significant.  I'd bet anything that he eventually tears it down "because the damage is so significant the building isn't salvageable".   He really is awful.  

• Like 3

Does anyone know when the next time City Council is supposed to discuss Levine-land at all? Or is it just on their back-burner because he's missed his deadlines.

24 minutes ago, JBS said:

BTW, Levine talking about the office project before construction even starts on the apartments is laughable.  Anyone here believe that Levine will build an office building before 2030?  He'd need like 95% up front leases and would still find a reason to delay the project.  Meanwhile, what's the reason he hasn't started rehab on the old red house that he wants to make a restaurant?  Every time it rains, the damage becomes more significant.  I'd bet anything that he eventually tears it down "because the damage is so significant the building isn't salvageable".   He really is awful.  

That's my biggest fear. And it would happen. I ask everyone about City Council status because they seem to be the only ones that could pressure him.

I can handle empty blocks for 20 years, but I can't handle losing the Treolar house, especially out of negligence.

• Like 2