First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

"I'm a measure three times cut once guy."

Guess I owe you $50, that was a poor investment. Let me check with my lawyer and see if this constituted a binding contract ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 6/13/2018 at 8:57 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Guess I owe you $50, that was a poor investment. Let me check with my lawyer and see if this constituted a binding contract ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll kick in half.  To me, if I actually decided to listen to this, it would be nothing but white noise.  Nothing he says has any credibility anymore.

This is a long discussion 49 minutes but I listened in bits and pieces about the North Tryon Plan but heard most. 
Basically new library will be an architectural showpiece may connect to Spirit Square so says Library director.  Parts of the existing library date back to 1956.   New Library will open in 2023 under construction in 2020.  
Hall House=boutique hotel 
affordable housing in urban areas is expensive to do but there is commitment to do it in this area. 
Carolina Theater renovation   will be hard to please everyone keep to the original but will have to be modern serious state of decay inside according to Cathy Bessant
North Tryon is last frontier in uptown development.   More "texture" in N Tryon in terms of architecture.  
Since I condensed this does [mention=17104]ricky_davis_fan_21[/mention] owe me a meal?   Didn't he make that bet with someone?    ¿Cuándo podemos ir a Superica? 
http://wfae.org/post/charlotte-talks-north-tryon-vision-plan-aims-revitalize-huge-swath-uptown#stream/0

Lol I listened to this one lol. I couldn’t listen to Daniel Levine but I still have hope for the rest of the district

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Cadi40 said:

I bet the world ends before the parking deck opens. 

No one here would take the other side of that bet.  

As for the civic properties, I'm crazy excited about the  Library and Discovery Place getting redone, and Spirit Square and Carolina Theater getting renovated.  I have to think that would help get some of the momentum back to North Tryon.   However, while they will be presumably better, they've all somewhat been there all along, so it remains to be seen if they are really development catalysts.   I could definitely see it helping rent apartments to have all new energy put into that area.   If the civic work causes BofA or other corps to want a new office tower in the mix to gain some halo then maybe that.   The office component, I think, is critical because it brings people from the whole region to work in and support the area and then a percentage to want to work nearby.  

I come back in my head to Furman's 10Tryon long delays for just a small midrise project and Levine's perpetual failure machine.   Most of those civic and infrastructure elements have been there or have been announced for a long while already.   The park is there, but it hasn't spurred Bearden-style growth.   Light rail is now open.  Brookshire is getting expanded with the express lanes now.    

I hope something clicks.  If Levine is starting a new process of selling his land parcels for others to develop, then his land may stop being a dark cloud over the district. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dubone said:

No one here would take the other side of that bet.  

As for the civic properties, I'm crazy excited about the  Library and Discovery Place getting redone, and Spirit Square and Carolina Theater getting renovated.  I have to think that would help get some of the momentum back to North Tryon.   However, while they will be presumably better, they've all somewhat been there all along, so it remains to be seen if they are really development catalysts.   I could definitely see it helping rent apartments to have all new energy put into that area.   If the civic work causes BofA or other corps to want a new office tower in the mix to gain some halo then maybe that.   The office component, I think, is critical because it brings people from the whole region to work in and support the area and then a percentage to want to work nearby.  

I come back in my head to Furman's 10Tryon long delays for just a small midrise project and Levine's perpetual failure machine.   Most of those civic and infrastructure elements have been there or have been announced for a long while already.   The park is there, but it hasn't spurred Bearden-style growth.   Light rail is now open.  Brookshire is getting expanded with the express lanes now.    

I hope something clicks.  If Levine is starting a new process of selling his land parcels for others to develop, then his land may stop being a dark cloud over the district. 

Honestly, I think we should all be excited that the company thats developing Hudson Yards is being given the opportunity to bid on the 7th and Tryon development. Thats what I'm excited for.

4 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

But are they actually bidding on it? Isn’t the bid open to more or less anyone?

No, its not open. They selected 5 finalists from the request for qualifications. They wanted people who had a lot of affordable housing in their portfolio, and experience masterplanning big projects

• Atlanta's The Integral Group and Cousins Properties
• L+M Development (New York) and Laurel Street (Charlotte)
• Metropolitan Partnership (Reston, Virginia) and The Baupost Group (Boston)
• Portman Holdings (Atlanta) and Mill Creek Residential Trust (Dallas)
• Related Group (Miami).

Edited by Guest

Before the parking deck fiasco  people in development could probably dismiss Danny as either a quirky perfectionist or as someone holding out a little too long.

But now that his deck has been sitting unfinished for two (?) years (in violation of his contract with the UNC system the whole time) I am having a hard time imagining that  anyone in the industry would take him seriously.

Is anyone still willing to finance him ? 

If not, who might be able to encourage him to sell and move along?

a land value tax would certainly be a useful (even if unrealistic)  tool.

Edited by kermit

That's exciting, but Hudson Yards has its own economics.  I recall how excited we got when a well heeled developer took over the Blake Hotel and was going to build some big redevelopment.  But in the end it was just a renovation and rebranding of the same buildings.      Developers still work within the economics of the location.  Here is hoping North Tryon can inspire them to invest heavily.

As for Levine's breach, he surely lost the reimbursement for park and roads after not building anything.  I thought that was part of the contract.    Ironically, he was always obsessed with parking, such as parking under the park which morphed into the deck he is half building now when he finally realized after a decade how much underground spaces cost.    The park was a land swap so we got 2 county blocks going to him, sitting empty, and the county got the land with the finished park.   I don't recall what level of incentives he got, though, but I hope we aren't giving him a break on his taxes for that just to further keep the land fallow.  

BTW, Hudson Yards is Related Companies out on NY and this is Related Group out of Miami.

Though both development groups are related (sorry, couldn't resist) it's like a minimal 10% ownership stake overlap.

That said, Related Group typically hires well known architects, but honestly, we will get what the Charlotte market will support.

The one good thing is the city is willing to subsidize underground parking here, which should help overall quality of the product.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

BTW, Hudson Yards is Related Companies out on NY and this is Related Group out of Miami.

Though both development groups are related (sorry, couldn't resist) it's like a minimal 10% ownership stake overlap.

That said, Related Group typically hires well known architects, but honestly, we will get what the Charlotte market will support.

The one good thing is the city is willing to subsidize underground parking here, which should help overall quality of the product.

oh crap, thats right. Damn it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, DMann said:

I saw 2 TV on-site vans in Levine land this morning, anything up?

Yes Marine Week is starting today through the weekend and several of the events are at First Ward Park.  Workout with a Marine at 0700  even KJ will be there around 1000-1300 look for me.   https://usmarineweek.com/marine-week-charlotte-events/

and if you are near NASCAR Hall of Fame at 0600 there will be a bugle call!  

• Like 1