First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

50 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

My friend is in am apartment built in 1906. All original wood and brick. Awesome alleys and shops all throughout downtown. It feels intimate and organic. Something Charlotte mostly lacks except a few pockets. 

Downtown Greensboro and Winston actually have a lot of development going on all over the place too just not on the massive scale of CLT.

You're right, that is character you do not really find here

That parking lot on 7th and Tryon was at least a great place for the Christmas Market.

• Like 1

another part of the article from the Business Journal on the Ellis Lennar apartment tower was this about Mr Levine. 

I have no further comments other than to quote it:

""Daniel Levine, whose family owns several blocks in First Ward, said a project like The Ellis helps “set the tone” for the rest of First Ward insofar as density and mixture of uses. Levine is partnering with Raleigh-based Concord Hospitality on a hotel at Eighth and College, adjacent to LMC’s project on the same block. Levine declined to comment on other upcoming projects in the vicinity or whether his firm would sell land for others to develop, as it did with Lennar.   Levine Properties has been under construction on a massive parking deck at 10th and Brevard streets for almost four years, a project that still remains unfinished — it’s “mostly complete” but has some finishing specifications due, Levine said.

Wood-framed apartments by Levine Properties were originally planned to wrap that deck but Levine has since developed a new plan for the multifamily phase: a 12-story, concrete-frame building with more than 400 units. That project is through design development and is currently being priced with a general contractor, Levine said, though it’s not clear when those units might begin construction or deliver.""

emphasis mine of course.   Here is the subscriber article https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/03/06/how-lmc-project-marks-a-big-step-forward-for.html?iana=hpmvp_clt_news_headline

• Like 2

Ashley at the Business Journal did a big story on First Ward and upcoming projects.  Here is about the Hal Marshall site as someone was just asking.

Another major redevelopment that will write North Tryon’s future: the Hal Marshall site.  “Having 12 acres of what feels vacant is definitely holding back the city,” said John Nichols, president of The Nichols Co., who is marketing an uptown site on North Tryon near the Hal Marshall site for development. “Once (plans for) Hal Marshall get announced, North Tryon is finished.”

Mark Hahn, director of asset and facility management at the county, said the current focus for Mecklenburg County is getting Seventh and Tryon underway as well as Brooklyn Village, a project in uptown’s Second Ward that remains in due diligence with a development group.  “The county plans to utilize an RFQ/RFP process to select a master developer for the sale and redevelopment of the majority of the Hal Marshall property,” Hahn said. Beyond the general vision of the 2020 Center City Vision Plan and the North Tryon Vision Plan, the county hasn’t prepared a site-specific plan for Hal Marshall and doesn’t have a current timeline for that project, he added.

Also in the article is this about a small tract of land at corner N Tryon and 11th which is looking like a hotel site of some size and of course height.

Nichols owns and has marketed a 0.4-acre site at the northeast corner of North Tryon and Eleventh streets since the recession. There’s interest there today that didn’t exist several years ago, he added.  In fact, Nichols is going through permitting with the city now to allow a 200- to 300-room hotel on that site and says he’s in talks with a few groups interested in bringing a flag there. In 2016, a Japanese group was interested in building a 600-room “microtel” at the site but eventually pulled out, affected at least in part by demonstrations broadcasted on TV following the police-involved shooting of Keith Lamont Scott.""          Japanese micro hotel of 600 rooms that is strange to me!   (sounds like another Seinfeld episode with Kramer's Japanese visitors)

Subscriber article    https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/03/07/the-future-of-uptown-charlottes-north-tryon.html?iana=hpmvp_clt_news_headline

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, j-man said:

I've been asking about Hal Marshall for the longest on here with no response, lol. I guess this answers it. 

exactly. There is no response worth giving.

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

I can't understand how this reminds me of Levine's projects in First Ward LOL .   This concrete piece of ....art in San Antonio.

IMG_1310.JPG

IMG_1311.JPG

There's definitely some weird pieces along the River Walk, but in all seriousness the trail is really an incredible asset for San Antonio. You can walk or water taxi from the heart of the downtown tourist area several miles north and south with parks, cultural attractions, residential buildings, art pieces, and food/beverage options all along the way. It's well lit, welcoming, and well activated pedestrian experience. It feels like what the rail trail should be.

• Like 2

^^^ when it is hot in Texas which is about 8 months of the year this grotto is a cool place to sit while walking the Riverwalk.  

I sure wish Mr Levine would sell more of this land so it will be developed this century.    The Ellis with its 549 apartments is a great start and I hope it leases up well. 

I am still wondering what is the deal with the parking garage he built.   He added on to a gravel dirt lot of UNC Charlotte so it seems it wont be opening any time soon.  We need some investigative journalism on what is happening and did the state make payments to him???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

^^^ when it is hot in Texas which is about 8 months of the year this grotto is a cool place to sit while walking the Riverwalk.  

I sure wish Mr Levine would sell more of this land so it will be developed this century.    The Ellis with its 549 apartments is a great start and I hope it leases up well. 

I am still wondering what is the deal with the parking garage he built.   He added on to a gravel dirt lot of UNC Charlotte so it seems it wont be opening any time soon.  We need some investigative journalism on what is happening and did the state make payments to him???

Didn't someone post an article recently where Levine said he was redesigning the apartments that will wrap the parking deck? That's his answer even though we all know it is BS.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Twice now, this second time it's a concrete high rise. If we wait another four years maybe we'll get a promise of a new tallest in the city, complete with zeppelin docking station in the spire with express elevator to the Silver line.

I've talked to the architect a couple times. He claimed Levine sees the right conditions for his projects to start happening. Expects August ground breaking on the apartments. 

50 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I've talked to the architect a couple times. He claimed Levine sees the right conditions for his projects to start happening. Expects August ground breaking on the apartments. 

This reminds me of an entertaining group of buskers I saw in New Orleans a few weeks back.  When I walked over it was about to be "Showtime" in ten minutes.  I think it was about an hour later that it officially became "Showtime" 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

This reminds me of an entertaining group of buskers I saw in New Orleans a few weeks back.  When I walked over it was about to be "Showtime" in ten minutes.  I think it was about an hour later that it officially became "Showtime" 

SHOWTIME. 

Hah, I'm just passing along the word. The conversation came about because I didn't include Levine in my "Guide to the Changing Charlotte Skyline," and you will notice how its still not on there. 

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/156197/view-renderings-the-definitive-guide-to-charlottes-changing-skyline/

17 minutes ago, cmwilson24 said:

Charlotte really should be doubling and then tripling down on the success of the rail trail - it has all the pieces in place to be something really special 

Agree that rail trail was a game changer for the corridor, but the greenway system is a game changer for the rest of the city. Those combined are my ideal approach. Build out the rail trail connect to greenways as much as possible, and focus on getting the greeway master plan finished ASAP!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...