First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

1 minute ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I've heard there will be residential above the Library, is that still the case?

No, the footprint of the library is shrinking, but they will actually have more space than they do today. The residential is on on the back portion of their current parking lot, with more across 7th Street.

• Like 1

confirmed, this is the losing submission. 

That means Metropolitan Partnership, the company with the world's shi.tt.iest website won. What a disappointment. This city sometimes.  

image.png

42 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

That means Metropolitan Partnership, the company with the world's shi.tt.iest website won. What a disappointment. This city sometimes.  

image.png

Wow.  A fancy website with beautiful renderings of buildings that will inevitably be downsized and VE’d until they no longer resemble those renderings isn’t everything, but this is the winning master developer, really?  Charlotte doesn’t seem to settle for mediocrity; we encourage it.  It’s like city officials enjoy selecting the worst option and then being disappointed with the choice.

3 hours ago, cltcane said:

Wow.  A fancy website with beautiful renderings of buildings that will inevitably be downsized and VE’d until they no longer resemble those renderings isn’t everything, but this is the winning master developer, really?  Charlotte doesn’t seem to settle for mediocrity; we encourage it.  It’s like city officials enjoy selecting the worst option and then being disappointed with the choice.

How do we as a group shake sense into the decision makers in this city? Honest question, we need to have our voices heard. 

4 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

image.png

It was really just down to the last 2?

14 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

image.png

This just doesn't make sense. Looking at metropolitan's work, it's nowhere near Perkins Eastman. I mean, you have suburban DC developments, but only two real large scale development plans, that are from the 80s. How were they even considered for the RFP, let alone even given a chance to bid? 

5 minutes ago, Rufus said:

This just doesn't make sense. Looking at metropolitan's work, it's nowhere near Perkins Eastman. I mean, you have suburban DC developments, but only two real large scale development plans, that are from the 80s. How were they even considered for the RFP, let alone even given a chance to bid? 

Well Perkins Eastman wasn't the bidder, it was the Architect for Integral and Cousins.

Metropolitan is backed by Baupost, one of the largest hedge funds in the world. I'd guess city picked $$$ over substance. I haven't been able to parse out who their architect is yet.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Well Perkins Eastman wasn't the bidder, it was the Architect for Integral and Cousins.

Metropolitan is backed by Baupost, one of the largest hedge funds in the world. I'd guess city picked $$$ over substance. I haven't been able to parse out who their architect is yet.

Its a closed fund that uses minimal leverage, which I'd look at as a positive, but that also means they have no one to answer to but themselves, so a public website is of no importance. 

Looks they used Skiddings, Owings, and Merrill extensively in the past. 

Edited by Bruco72
dang auto correct

1 minute ago, Bruco72 said:

Its a closed fund that uses minimal leverage, which I'd look at as a positive, but that also means they have no one to answer to but themselves, so a public website is of no importance. 

Looks they used Skiddings, Owen, and Merrill extensively in the past. 

I have an answer coming about architect.

19 minutes ago, DMann said:

This must be way in the future because it shows Levine's garage encased with apartments!

well its the same architect as Levine's building, so I'm sure it was easy to put in there.

Does anyone have any news on plans for the Discovery place? Last news I can find is from 2017 when they selected architects. I’m curious if this “revisioning” might include an expansion? It’s a great facility, but there’s potential, and enough room on the site, even with the church, to have a world class facility, not just a regional draw. Plus from what I’ve gathered, the Discovery Place and their affiliated museums have far more artifacts than they can manage to put on display today. At the moment I only go for the traveling exhibits. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...