First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

4 hours ago, QClifer said:

Why can’t we renovate the existing library?  Do people still use the library besides the homeless?  The design looks great and it will Be  great for the north side.  Just question the amount of money being spent on something that is surely losing visitors for the last 15 years.  

Keep in mind too that the existing library building is from the 1950s with 2 major renovations to try and make it more current. It’s also being reduced in size to open up another parcel for development on the corner of 6th & College. 

The only thing that needs a new home now is the Arequipa fountain. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DMann said:

That six Street and College Street site seems pretty close to the Truist building. Were they looking to locate a tech center near their headquarters?

:ph34r:

**Clarification** That is their most likely landing spot, but the city, for some reason, seems to be majorly delaying their announcement of the winner. They are 14 months late announcing Metropolitan Partnership, the company with the worst website on the planet, as winner.

Edited by Guest

papaner88

I don’t think you can put enough lipstick on that pig.   Tearing it down for this design will be way better.   I think we have all become somewhat jaded because we get these beautiful initial renderings and then they get VE’d to death   I hope they can stay somewhat true to these.  

The interior Stairs remind me of the addition my hometown, Indy,  did to their central library in 2007.   They kept the original structure dating to the early 1900’s but made it more of a grand entrance.  The modern addition in the back is similar to this and has become a community gathering place.  It also has become a place for people to hold events.   Check this wedding someone had there.  

i think this is great and will be an awesome addition to our community. 

---------------------------------------------

this is the building papaner88 refers to just above ;

https://mason-ind.com/indianapolis-public-library-central-library/

The original library in a pure classical revival style could not be improved so they re-oriented the entrance and expanded in a new direction physically and stylistically. In high school this was my library. 

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 10:11 AM, navigator319 said:

If anything remotely resembles that companies portfolio of projects is shown here for CLT i'll buy a night of drinks for everyone here.  I have very little hope that will be the case.  

Hi yes, I was just checking in to see when and where navigator will be buying everyone their drink.  :D 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

**Clarification** That is their most likely landing spot, but the city, for some reason, seems to be majorly delaying their announcement of the winner. They are 14 months late announcing Metropolitan Partnership, the company with the worst website on the planet, as winner.

Any more information or background on this?  Announcement of which winner?

3 hours ago, t_money said:

Hi yes, I was just checking in to see when and where navigator will be buying everyone their drink.  :D 

Going to have to wait until 2024 to find that out :tw_grin:

I have very little faith, but do hope, it does come off as those renders.  If it does yes I would say raises to the caliber for drinks all around.

Current disappointments from renders to reality...  Uptown Whole Foods, Spring Hill Suites, 5th st B tower, Ally Center (current design not original for Duke).   And the list I'm sure goes on for pages

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

Going to have to wait until 2024 to find that out :tw_grin:

I have very little faith, but do hope, it does come off as those renders.  If it does yes I would say raises to the caliber for drinks all around.

Now, since you've not constrained us to a set of drinks, I will order mine in advance, a pour of Pappy Van Winkle or make it a double ;)

... will gladly wait until 2024!

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I would love a permanent wheel like in Atlanta, and everywhere else and the location is crucial as it would be for skyline views.  Tourists conventioneers etc would love it.  

and I think there is a large parking garage you could put this on top of now.  

I wouldnt trust that parking garage at all...you put a ferris wheel on that and itll collapse...assuming your talking about THAT parking garage

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, NOLA2CLT said:

I wouldnt trust that parking garage at all...you put a ferris wheel on that and itll collapse...assuming your talking about THAT parking garage

I was talking about the unfinished multilevel garage the shame of uptown Charlotte. I still would like a big wheel and it would be good for the kiddies too. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I was talking about the unfinished multilevel garage the shame of uptown Charlotte. I still would like a big wheel and it would be good for the kiddies too. 

im glad we are on the same page...agree...hoping to go with the wife and kiddo this weekend

6 hours ago, Cpink said:

I wish Charlotte would get a better "Eye on Tryon" Ferris wheel. It's probably a lot to ask to have something similar to London's Eye, and I know the expense and debt that caused them in the beginning. I'm not sure how I'd feel about a permanent wheel in general. What're everyone's thoughts? 

I do wish there was an observation deck of some sort - however, that would require a large skyscraper like BOA!

How about on the cap over 277

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Between Peebles (I believe thats on Meck) and Metropolitan, I hope we aren't 0-2. With Levine 0-5.

1 hour ago, LvninATLviaCLT said:

Kind of far fetched Im sure but Levine land in first ward would be prime developement potential for an Atlantic Station type development in Charlotte, in my opinion. I bet over the next 3 to 5 years as investers start hacking away at the potential here that Levine will finally sell out and let this no mans land build out. There is just so much potential y'all have up there in Charlotte that y'all have and trust me there are a lot of folks down here in Atlanta that speak highly of Charlotte and its true potential of being on the same stage as metro Atlanta. Both cities thrive off of each other more than y'all realize I think, and there are many that come from Atlanta to hang out in a different vibe in Charlotte all of the time. Especially on the weekends, I also think when compared apples to apples that uptown Charlotte has way more going on at night then downtown Atlanta does when there isn't a big event or convention in town down here

I had a friend who came up with some of his millennial friends for beer brewery tour here in Charlotte from the Atlanta.  ATL is so big and sprawling and unless you live inside the perimeter it is hard to get downtown.  My friend in Acworth said I was lucky to live close enough to go downtown and eat out amongst the high rises.  Too much of a hassle in Atlanta many times.  That all being said intown Atlanta is thriving with lots of growth on the westside, Beltline (like our Rail Trail) and now even the southside is picking up.    I agree I would rather be in uptown Charlotte any night over downtown Atlanta.  Even Chick-fil-A is opening a research and marketing office on the Beltline away from their main southside campus.  

• Like 3

I think there are a lot of really great things about this design even if I don't care for the aesthetics. The ground floor looks to be a lot more open, and the way it interfaces with the street is exponentially better than the library today. The plaza space looks like it might actually get used by more than just homeless people and skateboarders. I like the fact that is has a grand stairwell.

I'm surprised its not taller - 5 floors seems small to me, given the scale of the current building. I worry that this will be a DFA type of street experience (a bunch of stuff behind glass that is a dead zone most of the time). However the fact that it's a library gives me hope that they will have stuff going on.

I suppose it goes without saying at this point that I don't care for this style of architecture, though. All I can see in these renderings is a large modernist bunny rabbit.

1804637784_ScreenShot2019-11-10at8_48_56AM.thumb.png.ca05466b454fd9387052de591a6c8c0c.png

• Haha 1