First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

Two things, first, I will wait for RDF to weigh in on this potential new information, my guess is that he has the pulse on this.  Second, once activity begins, the homeless situation will lessen as the general activity will make changes to how this is seen.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, urbanlover568 said:

That's so horrible :/ I just had a friend in Orlando become homeless temporary because his old car stopped working and he could not afford the repair. He was evicted. Felt bad for the guy. Never did drugs or alcohol. He is back on his feet after a few months. But can't imagine that life he lived. It was a humility check for me personally. 

As much as I clash with my own family, I know that if I were to be evicted or fell on bad times, they'd take me in until I could support myself.  Where are these folks' families or friends?  Did they get run out ? 

Walking by the park beside Alexander Michaels the other day at lunch I was approached quickly by a homeless guy  who obviously  was going to hit me up for money. I could've stopped I guess and given him some money AS I ALWAYS do, but I was in a bit of a rush. The guy practically chases me into Alexander Michaels threatening to , "kick" my ass.  All because I ignored him. I realize this isn't First Ward, but it's still the north end.  Some of these folks aren't classic down-and-out people.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DMann said:

Two things, first, I will wait for RDF to weigh in on this potential new information, my guess is that he has the pulse on this.  Second, once activity begins, the homeless situation will lessen as the general activity will make changes to how this is seen.

I have a few people I talk to that say 30-60 days we get a look at what is planned. Office Tower somewhere around 20 floors, an interior oriented retail corridor that splits the site in two, long ways. Also don't think all the original partners, or phases will remain in play as part of the 7th and Tryon Plan (someone is going rogue)

7 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

As much as I clash with my own family, I know that if I were to be evicted or fell on bad times, they'd take me in until I could support myself.  Where are these folks' families or friends?  Did they get run out ? 

Walking by the park beside Alexander Michaels the other day at lunch I was approached quickly by a homeless guy  who obviously  was going to hit me up for money. I could've stopped I guess and given him some money AS I ALWAYS do, but I was in a bit of a rush. The guy practically chases me into Alexander Michaels threatening to , "kick" my ass.  All because I ignored him. I realize this isn't First Ward, but it's still the north end.  Some of these folks aren't classic down-and-out people.

His father was a alcoholic and abusive. His mother passed away and very few if any relatives. I think some people take for granted what they have and don't understand others have not been as blessed as some. There are actually homeless children in the US currently. It's a sad reality. I agree that some abuse drugs and such, but the majority are just in a low point of their life. I live on the philosophy of not kicking a man when he is down, instead to bring the person up. I appreciate the work volunteers at the soup kitchen and Samaritan’s Purse have done and volunteered there on occasion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/25/2020 at 1:10 PM, urbanlover568 said:

His father was a alcoholic and abusive. His mother passed away and very few if any relatives. I think some people take for granted what they have and don't understand others have not been as blessed as some. There are actually homeless children in the US currently. It's a sad reality. I agree that some abuse drugs and such, but the majority are just in a low point of their life. I live on the philosophy of not kicking a man when he is down, instead to bring the person up. I appreciate the work volunteers at the soup kitchen and Samaritan’s Purse have done and volunteered there on occasion. 

Like I said, we all know there are really sad stories out there.

• Thanks 1

On 2/25/2020 at 9:31 AM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I have a few people I talk to that say 30-60 days we get a look at what is planned. Office Tower somewhere around 20 floors, an interior oriented retail corridor that splits the site in two, long ways. Also don't think all the original partners, or phases will remain in play as part of the 7th and Tryon Plan (someone is going rogue)

Also don't think all the original partners, or phases will remain in play as part of the 7th and Tryon Plan (someone is going rogue) - Me

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article240301921.html

Thats a very sensationalist headline from the failing Charlotte Observer. Very good piece by Danielle though. This does not kill the proposal, Inlivian will still seek a development partner for their affordable housing. 

6 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

aaaaaand North Tryon continues to languish. Shocker.

The title would suggest that... but the meat of the article, and my statement above, say that this project is moving forward, just without 1/4 of the land that was originally in play. 

10 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

The title would suggest that... but the meat of the article, and my statement above, say that this project is moving forward, just without 1/4 of the land that was originally in play. 

Could that be seen as a positive for something actually moving on this?  Not advocating for or against affordable housing at this particular site, just curious if this “frees” the remaining partners from a shackle now.  Now they can just plan for market-rate development and hit the gas?

1 minute ago, turbocraig said:

Could that be seen as a positive for something actually moving on this?  Not advocating for or against affordable housing at this particular site, just curious if this “frees” the remaining partners from a shackle now.  Now they can just plan for market-rate development and hit the gas?

We will see. I'm not happy that this is the way things are moving forward, losing the possibility of a Hall House conversion is disappointing. 

Edited by Guest

13 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Without 1/4 of the land, but with the added perk of keeping affordable housing out of this project so the "undesirables" can go off to the suburbs where they belong and have to deal with transportation barriers if they want to visit or work in our beautiful city. I mean, most of them probably don't even own a suit or have a 401(k).

• Sad 1

why can't the city housing authority sell the old Hall House for their portion of the affordable housing they want to build there?   It is expensive to build housing in uptown especially if not stick built.  Maybe it is better that this project splits into multi developers with the CHA ( I refuse to call them Inlivian) go there own way and other stakeholders go their way.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

why can't the city housing authority sell the old Hall House for their portion of the affordable housing they want to build there?   It is expensive to build housing in uptown especially if not stick built.  Maybe it is better that this project splits into multi developers with the CHA ( I refuse to call them Inlivian) go there own way and other stakeholders go their way.  

Thats exactly what is occurring, which is why I'm *old man yells at cloud* right now, because nothing has "collapsed" or "tanked." CHA is just going out on its own.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Ha!  I started to type this, then deleted because I thought I was missing something embarrassingly obvious.  So thank you for that.  Also, and I know MP mentioned undesirables, but if there’s one thing this area isn’t lacking in now, and for the past 20 or so years, is undesirability.  I’m ready for this end of town to possess a modicum of desirability.  So whatever consortium or partnership or alliance or Wonder Twin powers can get something - anything - done here, then by God, just do it.  If that increases the HH land value and they can get more for whatever they want to do with it later, then win-win.  But good lord, move already.  

1 minute ago, turbocraig said:

Ha!  I started to type this, then deleted because I thought I was missing something embarrassingly obvious.  So thank you for that.  Also, and I know MP mentioned undesirables, but if there’s one thing this area isn’t lacking in now, and for the past 20 or so years, is undesirability.  I’m ready for this end of town to possess a modicum of desirability.  So whatever consortium or partnership or alliance or Wonder Twin powers can get something - anything - done here, then by God, just do it.  If that increases the HH land value and they can get more for whatever they want to do with it later, then win-win.  But good lord, move already.  

Are you telling me you don’t like aggressive homeless people chasing you down and yelling at you while crapping in the street?

• Like 1

It is relevant to the CO report that reporters do not write headlines. Headlines are written today to attract clicks when they appear online. In the past they were to collect attention on the page though this has lessened with the transfer to digital. Reporters write and an editor (or someone) creates headlines

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1