First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

11 minutes ago, Rufus said:

If this is the case, it's a cop out for a number of reasons. 

1.) I am tired of older buildings being admired for just their street front design. There is no consideration for the scale and intimacy that the other sides provide. No buildings are built like that any more, and it really should be treasured to show how buildings have evolved and adapted based on use and growth, etc. 

2.) It comes across as fake altruism on the part of InLivian, and that's worse than putting up faux historic details. 

Agree.  Terrible approach.  Unsophisticated at best.  No consideration for the urban fabric and scale of the city.   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DMann said:

The guy I talked with told me that the uplift of the building is substantial, plumbing, electrical, etc. and the costs are prohibitive.  His words not mine.

that is why they should sell it and build their little stick built building next door and what about all the land the county owns at the Hal Marshall building why that block could be a big stick built 5 story apartment complex and the county owns the land! 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, DMann said:

The guy I talked with told me that the uplift of the building is substantial, plumbing, electrical, etc. and the costs are prohibitive.  His words not mine.

It probably is more code-dependent than anything else.  From what I understand, when codes change, a building that is still occupied/in continuous operation will be grandfathered in, but a building that has been vacated/no longer in operation must be brought up to current code if and when it is activated again.

Obviously replacing electrical/plumbing/etc is EXPENSIVE, especially when it's an old building with who knows what behind the walls.  It would be nice if there was a way to gradually bring it up to code, like allowing immediate occupancy (as long as it is deemed to be safe) but, at the end of a set time period, require up-to-code electrical, and then after another set time period, require up-to-code plumbing, etc.  I think this would help spread out the costs, and perhaps make it more feasible to save some of these older buildings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/24/2020 at 7:21 PM, cltbwimob said:

I hope this is successful and I hope after the Hall House is saved it morphs into a grassroots effort to save historic buildings all over our area.  History matters, and so much of our historical building stock-the stock which hasn’t been torn down yet-is in danger by virtue of the fact that it was built in Charlotte.  Although sparse compared to other cities, Charlotte has some superbly beautiful old architecture and it should be defended from ill-conceived efforts to destroy it.

Absolutely. They might just ignore it but we can call and email.

Edited by Nick2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ertley said:

I genuinely think any and all calls for the preservation of Hall House should be unified in message, and having both an alternate proposal at hand, in addition to making Inlivan looking as bad and inept as possible, is key. By pointing out Inlivan's... well... hypocrisy, in addition to their ineptitude, of sitting on incredibly valuable real estate that they're doing nothing with, while both simultaneously squandering other, even more valuable real estate only TWO BLOCKS away while unnecessarily complicating and diminishing important North Tryon redevelopment plans, you can really create a major PR debacle

Jason and Clayton. Make. This. Happen. 

726075535_tenor(8).gif.38cbca3bb30a8700e7ed436a2533026f.gif

• Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 4:43 PM, KJHburg said:

Yes they do own Edwin Towers my disabled aunt lived here many years until her death.   Free history lesson:   in the 1970s Fourth Ward was a dump and one of the largest brothels in Charlotte if not the largest was right across Poplar St and now that home is lovingly restored to a showpiece.  NCNB now BofA really jump started development there with loans for condos and townhomes and home renovations.  But back in the day we did not like to visit Aunt Louise at night because of all the hookers on the street! 

Now we have to go all the way up to Sugar Creek. :whistling:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, KJHburg said:

This Hall House is still standing and probably won't ever be torn down in Old Salem in Winston Salem.  NC's other large cities value and treasure older buildings especially now need proof visit downtown Asheville, Winston, Greensboro, Durham, Raleigh or Wilmington.  

See my post in Learning from Other Places about how other NC cities would never consider tearing down a historical building like the Hall House Barringer Hotel in uptown like CHA Inlivian wants to do.   Old Barringer would be a perfect Hotel Indigo or another boutique hotel and there is still land to build affordable housing behind it.   #saveHallHouse 

I do think other cities can overdo preservation to the point of hurting growth/affordability. But, come on, this is one of the last historical buildings left in all of uptown.

1 hour ago, j-man said:
5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

In other news this parcel is under contract now just outside 277 loop on N Tryon.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/The-Vistas-at-North-Tryon/15361407/

The possibilities!! Looks very office space friendly. Sadly this is where a lot of homeless people roam. 

Yep, even before the current amazingly large tent city. Hard to imagine much so close to the shelters/gov't service buildings.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Blue_Devil said:

Sorry, what does that mean? Apartments are already planned? 

Yes an apartment complex has been submitted for approval to Char Meck on that site.  That is probably the highest and best use due to the fact office tenants I dont think would cross 277 as many dont want to go up that far on N Tryon now.

• Like 1

Just now, KJHburg said:

Yes an apartment complex has been submitted for approval to Char Meck on that site.  That is probably the highest and best use due to the fact office tenants I dont think would cross 277 as many dont want to go up that far on N Tryon now.

Apartments will be interesting with the homeless there. It will definitely help with density.