First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

On 1/8/2021 at 8:05 AM, KJHburg said:

that I know some will never go into shelters as they don't want to abide by their rules etc.  However we can not have people camping on state owned right away. 

Agreed...that would be a good question to ask the NCDOT...they have been dealing with homeless camping sites on their property for probably a century if not longer. So far NCDOT has not requested to have the homeless removed from their property so that ties the city's hands to only use voluntary means to get them to a better place. As soon as NCDOT requests it the city can use mandatory means to remove them from the property. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There's no good reason why the state and city should not build housing-first housing on that land, or intentionally make it happen on any other publicly owned land. Unfortunately un-housedness is treated an acceptable by-product of our society. An initiative like that would perhaps do better if waited until after the UDO is completed, but if activists/officials mentioned it it could be used as a cudgel against the UDO by the gen pop. 

Edited by SgtCampsalot

1 hour ago, Robbie Charlotte said:

This might be a silly comment, but I stopped by the new public library on South Boulevard on Saturday.  At the site is a one-story, single-use structure with a parking lot.  I thought to myself, given the urgent need for housing, couldn't this have been a multi-story building with affordable apartments up top and a ground floor library and coffee shop?  

Yea, especially given the synergies that would come with a library/affordable housing together, it is criminal that we have any single story libraries in this city.  Even just having a second floor with a few apartments would be better than nothing (and not crazy expensive since I think you can have a second floor without elevator and still be ADA compliant).  

• Like 4

21 hours ago, NYtoCLT said:

Yea, especially given the synergies that would come with a library/affordable housing together, it is criminal that we have any single story libraries in this city.  Even just having a second floor with a few apartments would be better than nothing (and not crazy expensive since I think you can have a second floor without elevator and still be ADA compliant).  

This branch is in leased space. The  library had to  vacate their previous location and couldn't  wait on the lengthy process for a new building. I'm sure the area will see a new county owned  building in the corridor in the next 10 years.  But I agree  the city specifically has  missed the mark with their new police stations and  citizen service centers being uninspiring single use buildings. 

• Like 2

On 1/11/2021 at 12:52 PM, Robbie Charlotte said:

This might be a silly comment, but I stopped by the new public library on South Boulevard on Saturday.  At the site is a one-story, single-use structure with a parking lot.  I thought to myself, given the urgent need for housing, couldn't this have been a multi-story building with affordable apartments up top and a ground floor library and coffee shop?  

Absolutely.  Check this out.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/real-estate/ct-affordable-housing-libraries-0728-20190719-5kwcmtfycjbypjrabtvytulpia-story.html

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Great idea from Miami and I do know Camp Northend is doing this.  Now where can we find acres and acres of land in uptown where this could happen and what goodwill it will create?  Mr Levine do you have any such properties within the uptown loop and help contribute to the rebirth of uptown Charlotte? Any vacant property?? 

In Downtown Miami, A Drive-In Movie Theater Called Nite Owl Is Now Open On Property Owned By The Estefans – The Next Miami

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

saw this on Ashley Fahey's twitter feed about the Hall House and Inlivian proposal.   It looks like they chopped off the top of the Hall House but I am told a facade save maybe?  

Don't shoot the messenger here.  I think they should have sold the old hotel when they had the chance and build housing on the back surface lot.  And in my opinion this is  not too  many affordable units.  They could have sold the land outright and built more  units elsewhere even uptown on the Hal Marshall property which is county owned and abandoned. .  NO other city in NC would tear down the Hall House today.   Stick built apartments right on Tryon a block from highrises is crazy.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

This is not vision this is stupidity.  Replace an all brick building that could have been sold for boutique office or hotel now demo'ed for a stick built apartment complex.    Well at least Southend has some character and no one wonder it is vibrant right now compared to uptown. 

"We will have to raze Hall House," says Inlivian CEO Fulton Meachem.    from Twitter from the meeting tonight 

#bocc votes 8-1 to approve $6M in county PAYGO dollars for Inlivian's uptown affordable-housing project. Commissioner Elaine Powell was the dissenting vote.

Edited by KJHburg
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 4

• 4 weeks later...