First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

Just now, Matthew.Brendan said:

My bad, thank you. Never assume!

Daniel is also the guy behind tearing down the perfectly good apartments at Providence/Fairview corner and letting that land sit empty for years now as well, yeah?

Yeah, I think he owns that one too. A big lot on a very prominent corner with a decent shopping center across the street and he's just letting it sit.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, abttown said:

Serious question, and I'm trying to think of a tactful way to phrase this, but is Daniel Levine "all there"?  From the limited amount of articles/new reports I've read about the guy, he seems like he's charismatic and certainly has a prominent family name, but what's the deal with him?  It doesn't seem like he would be holding up his development opportunities out of spite for anyone, although maybe I'm wrong.  So many of Daniel's properties are ripe for development and just continue to languish for seemingly no discernible reason.  The property at the corner of Fairview and Providence is a great example of a Levine wasteland that could easily be turned into a luxury apartment complex.  Is he too prideful to sell off his land and let another entity develop? 

I just imagined he's doing what's best for him and his families financial future. If anything, the property is just gaining value. So. 

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, abttown said:

Serious question, and I'm trying to think of a tactful way to phrase this, but is Daniel Levine "all there"?  From the limited amount of articles/new reports I've read about the guy, he seems like he's charismatic and certainly has a prominent family name, but what's the deal with him?  It doesn't seem like he would be holding up his development opportunities out of spite for anyone, although maybe I'm wrong.  So many of Daniel's properties are ripe for development and just continue to languish for seemingly no discernible reason.  The property at the corner of Fairview and Providence is a great example of a Levine wasteland that could easily be turned into a luxury apartment complex.  Is he too prideful to sell off his land and let another entity develop? 

Just from reading about his fits and starts (more fits than starts) over the couple decades I've lived here, I just assumed laziness and incompetence.  He just doesn't seem like a very motivated person to me.  But what do I know...

Even the Levine Properties website is rotting on the vine.  Only info is a couple of ancient renderings of First Ward Park.  No mention or drill-down of any other projects whatsoever.  

http://www.levineproperties.com/#

• Like 4

8 hours ago, abttown said:

I read an interview (maybe two) that implied he was very concerned about maximizing his ROI and maximizing his 'one shot' to 'save' 1st ward. The suggestion from the story was when he took possession of the first ward properties he talked himself up as a development genius and any project that was not 'perfect' for both the firm and the city was going to paint him as a failure. In hindsight this explanation is probably giving him too much credit and laziness is the Occam's razor.

You gotta be REALLY lazy to ignore years of fines from his contract with UNCC (for undelivered parking) and property taxes, even with a giant pile of family money to draw from.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

I've always assumed laziness too, he just went into the family business because "why not?" and he sort of does just enough to justify coming into the office.

Wouldn't the laziest option be to just sell everything for a massive profit and sit at home and spend the generations worth of money he'd receive?

It's gotta be ego. His father was the one that gathered up all the land right? And he got handed a real estate holding business that he mistook for a development business and he's deluded himself into thinking he could usher in an era of glorious rebirth for First Ward and Uptown despite not being able to create anything more than gravel parking lots. How many renders and master plans has he released to great fanfare? And how many fluff articles has he conned reporters into writing about him? He seems to love attention, although he has been pretty quiet since the 10th street debacle fully failed. Did he finally gain some self-awareness or is his mouth just gagged due to litigation?

• Like 2

Howard Levine is his cousin.  Leon is his uncle, and co-founder of Family Dollar.  Howard is Leon's son, and took over as CEO when Leon retired.   Daniel is Al's son.  Al passed away back in 2016, but the family trust is still part owner of the first ward property along with Danielle, and uncle Leon.  

Leon is in the one that has all of the Atrium stuff named after him.  

• Like 2