First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

M Street

55140050-L.jpg

Renwick, and their construction fence and trailer up as graydog already reported.

55139831-L.jpg

Court6

55140002-L.jpg

55139829-L.jpg

First Ward Elementary

55133921-L.jpg

First Methodist

55133925-L.jpg

Foundation for a new home going on top of an existing North Tryon building

55133929-L.jpg

North Tryon Convenience Store

55133930-L.jpg

Hall House, gosh I hope this doesn't get torn down.

55133932-L.jpg

New club going above Brick & Barrel and Phil's

55133946-L.jpg

This is a shot of M Street on the 7th St. side today. The brick has been added. It's a brown color. Not sure what is going on with the paint scheme. Renderings indicate a lot of red or brick, however this shot suggests a mult-color scheme. Or maybe they're re-thinking the red.

img333614bh.th.jpg

The wife says I have to take a photography course befoe I can buy a new camera. So for now UP will need to suffer through my 3.2 megapixel.

Wow. I hardly ever have an opinion about anything but this is just not attractive to me at all. :(

It reminds me of something that needs to be at the beach.

Edited by HighRiseHillbilly

^Sorry! I didn't mean to offend anyone that may be purchasing a place there (or not). I didn't really think about that. Taste is in the eye of the beholder. I do see how it really does blend with that Zion church... which isn't exacty a plus. Oops, there I go again! ;)

I'm cool. No offense at all. Unless the paint scheme changes, I won't be getting exactly what I thought I would.

:cry:

tis sad, I loved the renderings

if only things could be as bright and colorful and shiny, as they are in the renderings, but alas they never are, I don't hate this project, I see the 80s appearence but I still like it, its not too bad, and I still think if I lived there i'd show it off to my friends because no matter what you still live inside the 277 loop, and thats something to brag about

The Mcdowell section will have much more brick than the 7th street section. also, i think it is has hardiplank siding which is much better than the wood or vinyl siding of 80s apartments. As for the color, in almost all the Furman projects, he has used neutral colors in the rendering and then a more vibrant color in real life. Buyers should expect that. I think I like the red.

when this project is said and done, it's going to be great.

i think charlotte is very fortunate to have an architect/developer who is the most prominent builder uptown. most developers, in pursuit of the benjaminz, fall well short of furman's mark. while i do think furman can certainly raise his bar some more he has created so much. m street is not my favorite thing he's done, but its still miles ahead of what most 'velopers would do. that whole corner used to be crappy highway yard... now, it's dense urban goodness.

my only concern on this project is if furman learned his lesson on the back of courtside? while m street is not as towering, she is still very visable from many main arteries in/out of town. i hope that is being considered. the garden district, as a whole, from 2-77 looks great.

Well, paintings are designed to do just that. I like it from the standpoint of adding rowhouses/townhomes to a city that doesn't have that many. That area of downtown is becoming quite dense with rowhouses and lowrise projects.

My question is how this will age, being that they're not using brick for the entire unit.

• 2 weeks later...

I was driving up 6th St this evening after work, and noticed a couple of interesting, althought minute details about the projects in First Ward. The construction trailer for Renwick had a gravel parking area, electricity, and they have built stairs up to the trailer. I guess those aren't included in the rental. Also, Courtside had trees planted along the 6th st side.

Are those across the street on 6th, or are you talking about 7th. I guess this puts to rest the idea of burying the utilities underground...

Other side of 6th, Bell south Switch building side. Its disapointing but still an improvement, since most pedestrian activity will be on the Courtside side of the street. But still, ugly as hell.

The utility poles are becoming my version of A2's highway lights, lol. Driving me mad :wacko: